Topic: Running Pro Tools + Bitwig DAWs simultaneously?

Greetings, I've searched unsuccessfully for a tutorial or clear answer to this question. Does TotalMix support creating a template that combines DAW ins and outs into a single mixer? For example, in realtime, I want to send a dry vocal from Pro Tools into the Bitwig convolution reverb, then return the processed vocal back into Pro Tools. Essentially I want TotalMix to enable Bitwig as a plugin and audio sidecar in Pro Tools. This would include performing loop arrangements in Bitwig while Pro Tools records the audio track in the background.

Second question: Can hardware inputs and outputs be hidden in TotalMix DAW mode, the same way they can be hidden in the full mixer mode? I would like to create a few compact presets for DAW and standalone operation.

Thanks for your assist!

Sky

2 (edited by oli77sch 2023-06-26 21:33:21)

Re: Running Pro Tools + Bitwig DAWs simultaneously?

Hi!
The magic keyword is "loopback"!
I would suggest to read about the Totalmix loopback function in the manual. It’s what you need! And you probably have to set Totalmix to normal mode, not DAW mode, to have the flexibility for all the needed routings.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thank you Oli, I’ll study this part of the manual. Sky

I've narrowed my new interface search to RME UFXII or UFXIII and am leaning toward the latter. I've noted a few small improvements, e.g. FS and direct-coupled line outs (in addition to headphone outs). But more important for me is the potential for using unconnected MADI hardware outputs in loopback, in order to create more busses between DAW apps through TotalMix and the RME driver.

If I understand correctly, any HW output can be looped back into the driver. At 44.1 KHz, the UFXII provides me a lot of unused outputs via unused ADAT, but at 192 KHz I believe this is greatly reduced by the limits of the protocol. Adding MADI in the UFXIII should enable many inter-app busses at higher sample rates.

The cost difference is close enough to justify the UFXIII but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before ordering. In either case there will be much experimenting and learning what's possible.

Sky

5 (edited by ramses 2023-07-04 06:56:12)

More information about UFX III and UCX II 
   https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … iii-en-de/
   https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33222

Differences between recording interfaces:
  https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156

The UFX III gives you the most flexibility and sustainability in your purchase because it is expandable. It is also convenient to have directly two very high quality headphone outputs. If your budget allows, then I would choose the UFX III.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you ramses for all the detailed info you've assembled. Are the UFXIII headphone outputs an improvement over UFXII (not UCXII)? If so that's one more reason to spend a bit more on the new flagship. Sky

7 (edited by ramses 2023-07-04 21:06:20)

Sky wrote:

Thank you ramses for all the detailed info you've assembled. Are the UFXIII headphone outputs an improvement over UFXII (not UCXII)? If so that's one more reason to spend a bit more on the new flagship. Sky

I have no direct comparison between those two devices.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13