Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS and Feliks Audio Headphones Amp

Hello folks. I've been using the RME for a few years now, and I absolutely love it. I use it daily with the Focal Utopia HPs as well as Buchardt A500's.

I'm looking into possibly introducing the Feliks Audio Envy tube amp into my chain. I will connect my headphones to the Envy's 6.3mm headphone output. I was wondering how to best setup the RME. The Feliks Audio Envy has XLR (Balanced) input. And it seems to me that it'll be best to connect those to the RME's balanced XLR outputs. If this is accurate, are there particular RME settings I should configure? I'd like to use the Feliks Envy volume knob. Below are some stats from the Envy's user manual. I'd greatly appreciate your advice!

Salter.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION
Power tubes: 300B
Driver tubes: CV-181 (6SN7)
1x balanced XLR input (IN3)
2x unbalanced RCA inputs (IN1, IN2)

Input impedance:
For IN3 (XLR) 10kΩ
1x pair of pre-amplifier output as RCA

Here's a link to the Feliks Audio PDF: https://feliksaudio.pl/wp-content/uploa … -pdfA4.pdf

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-06-27 23:34:55)

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS and Feliks Audio Headphones Amp

Look here for a general advice, “Case 1” would be the requested configuration:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

I’d even consider to “bypass” the Felixs Audio Envy’s volume control - no matter how good an analog potentiometer is, it always introduces some nasty distortions.

To “bypass” the volume control, bring it full up.
Set Envy’s gain switch to minimum position and use ADI-2’s digital volume control + Auto Ref Level for best results (“Case 2”).

KaiS wrote:

Look here for a general advice, “Case 1” would be the requested configuration:

I’d even consider to “bypass” the Felixs Audio Envy’s volume control - no matter how good an analog potentiometer is, it always introduces some nasty distortions.

Thank you for the quick reply, @KaiS. I'll check out the linked cases. The Envy's volume knob is soooo sweet! But your advice is logical and much appreciated.

4 (edited by Salter 2023-07-14 04:25:39)

Hello again. I received the Feliks Envy and proceeded to connect the ADI-2 using case-1 as listed in the linked thread (at least for now, I will try case-2 once this is settled).

I wanted to confirm that my settings are correct: I switched to "Off" the "Auto Reference Level" configuration. Ref Level is currently set manually to +7 dBu. Per Case-1 (if I understood it correctly) I set the RME's volume dial to 0dB! If this is how it's supposed to be, I'm noticing that the loudness bars (L and R) on the RME at times will show "OVR". My PC is "feeding" the RME via USB from Roon instance running locally, and within Roon the RME device is set to "Device volume". Should I see this "OVR" from time to time? And if I do, should I "notch" the RME volume knob down a bit until OVR is no longer showing?

Thanks in advance for your advice. 

(aside from that - the RME-Envy-Utopia chain outputs a superlative sound the likes of which I've never heard before)

Salter.

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-07-14 14:47:16)

Salter wrote:

... I switched to "Off" the "Auto Reference Level" configuration. Ref Level is currently set manually to +7 dBu. Per Case-1 (if I understood it correctly) I set the RME's volume dial to 0dB! If this is how it's supposed to be, I'm noticing that the loudness bars (L and R) on the RME at times will show "OVR".

For the digital inputs (Meter to Pre-FX), OVR / Over appears when the signal is at the maximum possible level, 0 dBFS, so nothing to worry at this point.

For better control, set:
SETUP / Options / Display / Hor. Meter: Post-FX.

Now, if all DSP functions like PEQ, Loudness, Crossfeed etc. are disabled, the highest you should see on the meter is 0.0 dB.

If the meter still shows “OVR”, happens ca. 2.6 dB above 0 dB for the Line Output, true clipping occurs.
See manual page 31.

Check your settings under I/O and EQ.

KaiS wrote:

For better control, set:
SETUP / Options / Display / Hor. Meter: Post-FX.

Now, if all DSP functions like PEQ, Loudness, Crossfeed etc. are disabled, the highest you should see on the meter is 0.0 dB.

If the meter still shows “OVR”, happens ca. 2.6 dB above 0 dB for the Line Output, true clipping occurs.
See manual page 31.

Check your settings under I/O and EQ.

Thank you again. There are no DSP or EQ set on line-out. It's already set to "Post-FX" - but still showing OVR often. I can't however hear any clipping.

Total aside: I noticed I can change LCD screen tint. I'm now convinced that this device is designed by aliens smile

Salter wrote:

...There are no DSP or EQ set on line-out. It's already set to "Post-FX" - but still showing OVR often. I can't however hear any clipping.

Strange - I‘d suggest to dial volume back a little.
Slight clipping usually isn‘t very obviously audible, but one shouldn‘t become used to it.