1 (edited by djthopa 2023-07-17 23:25:10)

Topic: Expanding Madiface xt options

Hi, hope you are doing well.

I have a rme madiface xt and a rme adi 648.

Two of the madi ports ( the xt has 3)  have 4 ferrofish pulse mx devices each. So each madi port varries 64 channels

The third madi port is used by the adi 648.(another 64)

Unfortunately I have ran out of in channels and Im lost as how im going to add more channels to this setup.

But the biggest question is. Can madi signals be stacked / merged / chained?

If i get the madi out of device A with 64 channels and feed it into madi device B, also with  another 64 channels and then to madi device c with another 64 channels, will the madi device C transfer 192 channels?

What are the options to add more madi channels?

I have another ferrofish pulse and I will like to add it to the madi stream.

Any rme devices recommended? The perfect one if madi signals cannot be stacked would be the rme madi router, but I cannot find it anywhere.

Maybe go for a Madi Dante? If i can stack them I could add one and have all those channels on the same totalmix screen, since it has usb.

Or maybe a HDSPe madi?

Looking forward to hearing ideas , suggestions.

Much appreciated!

Ps: I have one digiface but I guess I wont able to use it since the totalmix will recognise it as a different device and it will show it in another tab in totalmix.

2 (edited by Ninbura 2023-07-18 00:51:21)

Re: Expanding Madiface xt options

You can effectively daisy chain interfaces to have more connectivity with more interfaces but it does not increase your overall channel count. It also greatly complicates routing. If you're doing mixdowns on daisy chained interfaces you can essentially get more out of the channels you have.

But if you actually want more channels you can run multiple (up to 3) RME interfaces with the same driver type via one PC. So if you ran 2 MADI XTs you'd effectively have 788 channels, of which all can be simultaneously exposed to an application with ASIO support. It's essentially seen as a single interface in that regard. However, you'd need to clock the interfaces via their bnc word clock connection, or via an external word clock if other attached interfaces can't clock over MADI. You also have to control each interface with its own instance of TotalMix. Not that that'd be too hard, just something to note.

Personally I'd think you'd want to run at least one MADI "backhaul" lane between the two MADI XTs, so to speak. This would allow you to share channels between the two interfaces if the need arises, and you can sync clock over said connection. This would give you another MADI connection to play with, and headroom to add another MADI XT if needed. If you have no need for routing channels between the two interfaces, then you can simply use a dedicated word clock connection. Which would open up all 3 MADI connections on the second MADI XT.

Lastly, other interfaces use the MADIface driver. Like the UFX III, for example. So you don't have to get another MADI XT if you want something with fewer channels.

MADI FX, Fireface UFX+, ADI-648, HDSPe RayDAT, ADI-192 DD

Hi @Ninbura, thanks a lot for your detailed information and support, much appreciatted!

Ok so having two different totalmix instances wont be as bad as I think, it actually might be easier than moving around hundreds of channels.

You mention that if the devices share the same driver (im on a mac) the audio app (Ableton for me) will see it as one device. Wouldnt I need to create an aggregate device between the madiface xt and the new device?

I have two digifaces that im not using to its full potential. Does the digiface use the same driver as the Madiface? Are they compatible?

And last question (Sorry!) wouldnt this be a good time to add a Dante device for future compatibility?

Id be great if I could just combine the digifaces and the Madiface, it would have and extra 128 channels.

Please let me know.

Thanks a bunch!

djthopa wrote:

You mention that if the devices share the same driver (im on a mac) the audio app (Ableton for me) will see it as one device. Wouldnt I need to create an aggregate device between the madiface xt and the new device?

No it will automatically be seen as an aggregated device in Ableton.

djthopa wrote:

I have two digifaces that im not using to its full potential. Does the digiface use the same driver as the Madiface? Are they compatible?

I could be wrong but I don't believe these use the MADIface driver. Even if it did you couldn't use 4 devices at once, you can only use 3 of the same driver type at the same time.

djthopa wrote:

And last question (Sorry!) wouldnt this be a good time to add a Dante device for future compatibility?

I've been considering this as well. But it shouldn't really affect anything as long as you're routing it into one of your MADI XTs. If I were in your position I would be using 2-3 MADI XTs and make sure that everything interfaces with at least one of them as opposed to trying to mix and match dissimilar cards with the same driver.

Short comment: on a Mac there is only one USB driver. To keep overview and not confuse multiplatform users the USB driver for Mac is presented as two versions, MADIface series and USB series, equalling the state on Windows. But the driver within the zip is the same for both.

That doesn't change operation and usability. On  Mac with more than one device one needs to use 'Aggregate' even when these are identical and use the same driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Short comment: on a Mac there is only one USB driver. To keep overview and not confuse multiplatform users the USB driver for Mac is presented as two versions, MADIface series and USB series, equalling the state on Windows. But the driver within the zip is the same for both.

That doesn't change operation and usability. On  Mac with more than one device one needs to use 'Aggregate' even when these are identical and use the same driver.

Interesting... I didn't realize there was a difference here between operating systems.

Just to clarify - you're saying there's an additional step or setting you have to enable to see two interfaces in one application simultaneously? Or are you saying that channels must be literally aggregated on a single interface?

Under Windows the ASIO driver does the 'Aggregation' for devices that use the same ASIO driver, and only then. On macOS you need to do this manually, but with the advantage that you can even aggregate devices that use different drivers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME