1 (edited by sgardner 2010-03-06 19:15:37)

Topic: Control TotalMix via Vista Master Volume with this utility

I use Multiface II in my theater. I wanted to control the volume from my wireless keyboard but I couldn't find a utility to do this, so I wrote one.

It works by watching the Vista master volume and sends MIDI commands out a selected port which then needs to be looped back into TotalMix's MIDI in.

This is a verry rough first attempt.

Download it here: Windows Volume Relay

All comments are greatly appreciated.

Scott

Free for personal use.
Further development will depend on interest.

Re: Control TotalMix via Vista Master Volume with this utility

Will this also work with XP?

Regards
Zapp

Regards
Zapp

It will NOT work with XP, sorry.

I appreciate the support and comments being sent to my email.

A new release (0.0.3.0) is available. at the above link.

Thanks
Scott

5 (edited by sgardner 2010-03-06 19:16:09)

Zapp wrote:

Will this also work with XP?

Regards
Zapp

Yes! new version here: Windows Volume Relay

Way cool, THX...

Regards
Zapp

Regards
Zapp

Scott,

I had no time yet to check your tool, but if it works you are welcome in our hall of fame ;-)

So far I made this thread sticky so it stays visible within the forum.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC.

If someone finds a problem and they report it here I'll fix it.

If someone wants a new feature I'll consider it.

Scott

Help I can't get this to work

I am using a HDSP 9632 card and have linked the MIDI out and MIDI in connectors using a straight through cable

However altering the Vista volume control does not alter any of the sliders in HDSP Mixer (Which I assume is TotalMIx)

I have ensured that HD9632 MIDI is set as the output MIDI device. I have also tried using the Master optio which I assume alters the master volume? I have also tried to select channels using the left and right hand buttons with no effect

10 (edited by sgardner 2008-09-20 23:29:10)

Make sure:

In totalMix/HDSP mixer
  Options/Enable Midi control is checked
  Options/Preferences/MIDI in is set to the port that WVR is sending to (via a loopback cable)
  Options/Preferences/MIDI out is set to NONE Or some other port so that no bad loopback is setup
  You can see a highlighted channel bank (8 contiguous channels that have yellow highlighted level numbers -just below the faders).
    If you can't see this it means MIDI is not enabled (TotalMix will disable if a bad loopback situation is detected)
  Gang channels you want to control together

In WVR
  MIDI/Output device is set to TotalMix's MIDI in
  Move the channel bank to the channels you want to control

Keep in mind that WVR only moves the first channel in the selected bank of channels. So to control 6 channels (for 5.1) you will need to gang them in TotalMix.

The 'Force MIDI to Master' option (only visible in Vista) will force the channels to stay at what the Master volume is set to. This means that if you change the level in TotalMix, WVR will force it back to the Master level.

http://home.comcast.net/~lapstand/Setup.jpg

11 (edited by sgardner 2010-03-06 19:16:30)

Latest version (0.1.2.0)  minimizes to tray

New version here: Windows Volume Relay

Thank your reply, I have played with the settings and now have it working perfectly

You, sir, KICK rear!!!  This is what I've ben looking for for quite a while now.  I'll play with this once I get some free time (It's been hectic in the Houston Area with the lingering Hurricane effects and all sad ).

Too cool cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

GREAT WORK!
Thank you Scott!
It works perfectly in my PC.

I get: No device driver is present
when I try to install this utility.

Could it be because I don't have the loopback connection in place?
(I'm trying to install it before I before I get a chance to get hold of a cable, I realise it won't work yet)

16 (edited by sgardner 2008-10-13 08:17:43)

There is no install per se. Just unzip and run. Do you have midi control enabled in TotalMix and preferences set as shown above?

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

This is what I have in my mixer:

[img align=L]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4156/mixervg2.jpg[/img]

And this is what I have in my preferences:

[img align=L]http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5869/prefshd3.jpg[/img]

Does that look about right or am I missing something important?

18 (edited by sgardner 2008-10-14 22:26:33)

Everything looks good so far...

I'm assuming you're using XP:

Goto "Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Audio", what is the MIDI music playback "Default device"?

It is likely that WVR.exe is not seeing the windows mixer, is there a master volume control in the tray?

I'm not sure if the 9632 installs a windows mixer (probably just TotalMix), you may need a "standard" sound card installed before the master volume control (mixer) shows up. Do you have a sound card other than the 9632?

19 (edited by Conrad 2008-10-14 23:28:40)

I have onboard sound from my motherboard, which I've always had disabled in BIOS. I also had the volume control hidden from the taskbar. I've re-enabled those and installed the Realtek AC97 drivers - interestingly, when I had the audio playback device as HDSP9632 Analog (1+2), that was appearing on my windows mixer, although it made no difference, obviously.

The realtek device is now appearing in my audio devices list and I've tried with different combinations of Realtek being selected as my playback device and as my MIDI device but I still get the same error: No device driver is present. I've also tried soft and hard rebooting between each change.

The hardware information in the Device manager shows that the realtek stuff is all working correctly.

Any other thoughts or am I lost cause!

Oh, and you're right, I'm on XP with all latest patches and updates.

Does the utility need another sound driver to operate then? I wonder if there's a work-around for that which would allow it to be more generic? If people are using an RME it's likely the don't have another sound card.

Edit: I've just noticed that my onboard sound util is running as soundman.exe, is that something the relay could look for? What process or dll is it trying to hook into at the moment? I assume it'd be the kmixer?

20 (edited by sgardner 2008-10-15 08:47:49)

Does the utility need another sound driver to operate then?

It depends. WVR is using the winmm.dll which is part of XP.

It uses the API that is exposed in that DLL to attach to an event that is fired when the master volume is changed. This implies that the volume is there to begin with. WVR just "rides on" or "watches" what is already there. It does not install anything or alter the system in any way.

Since I don't have the your sound card I didn't know if its drivers were setting up the volume control. To be honest I'm not even sure weather or not a volume control is there when a sound card is not. It has not been tested for all cases.

Remember this is a rough first attempt.

So, you've got me stumped.

I uploaded a new version (0.1.2.1) that has Verbose debug detail enabled.

Try this one and post the results. This should help to determine what the problem is.

21 (edited by Conrad 2008-10-15 08:43:47)

Here's the latest error, I'm not sure how much use it's going to be to you:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6613/errorxx3.jpg

This is with the Realtek soundcard selected as my default audio device, the volume control displayed in the system tray and the HDSP selected as my MIDI controller.

Interestingly, a colleague of mine has the same motherboard with the same soundcard (albeit without the daughterboard for 5.1) and he got his working last night. He might have been in Vista though. I'm going to check and borrow his midi cable today.

Edit: I also moved the exe into the root of my c drive, just to check and make sure it wasn't becuase of spaces in the path.

22 (edited by sgardner 2008-10-15 09:01:11)

whoops. my bad... even so it seems to indicate that the mixer is not there...

I uploaded another version with 'cloaking' turned off.

Try again...

Ok, probably more meaningful:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6792/errorae3.jpg

Can I just say thanks for the incredible level of support you're offering for this. Even if we can't resolve the issue I really appreciate your efforts.

24 (edited by sgardner 2008-10-15 09:31:44)

Conrad wrote:

Can I just say thanks for the incredible level of support you're offering for this. Even if we can't resolve the issue I really appreciate your efforts.

Hey, thank you. Normally I might not be available but you caught me at a good time and I enjoy doing this kind of stuff.

As you can tell this is all sort of new to me.

If anyone else is reading this maybe they can help shed some light.

here is the function that is failing:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library … S.85).aspx

and here is the error: MMSYSERR_NODRIVER

all this really tells me is that no system mixer could be found. We already knew that. So now the question is why.

Hopefully someone has a better understanding of this and will help out.

I found something that may be the problem. I uploaded a new version.

If you could give that one a try maybe it will work.

I've had to go to work now but I'll try it this evening when I'm home. I also have a midi cable so we'll see if that makes a difference.

27 (edited by Conrad 2008-10-15 18:55:38)

I tried that one and I'm getting the exact same error. Just to double check though, the new version I downloaded is still version 0.1.2.1, is that right?

Edit: There's a function called mixerGetNumDevs which isn't appearing in your debug list. Maybe that could point to the default mixer location? Maybe I don't have a mixer 0 or something.

28 (edited by sgardner 2008-10-17 13:29:26)

Yea, I haven't changed the version yet.

If you still want to work on this, here is a demo program that is the XP mixer basis for WVR AudioLibDemo. This demo may help us figure it out. It should exercise all the functions in the lib including the one you mention.

What else can you tell me that may be helpful?
OS? x32? x64?
Does every thing else besides this work ok?
Is your setup any different than a "standard" setup?

You said your colleague has it working on a machine that is similar to your's. Can you find out what the differences are between your machine and his?

Also if you or anyone is interested the c# source is available here:   
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/audio-video/AudioLib.aspx

I'll download the mixer util you listed and try it out over the weekend (although I'm not sure what I'm looking for!).

I'm on the 32bit version of vista and, as far as I know, there's nothing odd about my system. I've got things like ffdshow and AC3 filter installed but they shouldn't affect my mixer. Also, when I double click the volume on my taskbar, the mixer appears so I'm not sure why this util doesn't pick it up.

The good news is though that I can uninstall my onboard sound drivers and disable that in BIOS again, the less I've got running the better.

I'll post my findings but if that doesn't reveal any issues then I think we should probably leave it there!

Thanks

30 (edited by sgardner 2008-10-17 21:51:50)

The demo uses all (I think) of the routines in the lib. I only use a small subset. The problem may be, as you pointed out, that I'm not doing the proper initalization. The demo, if it works, would at least tell us if the lib I'm using works.

But now I'm confused.

I'm on XP with all latest patches and updates.

I'm on the 32bit version of vista and, as far as I know, there's nothing odd about my system

If you do have Vista the demo will Not run and we'll have to try something else.

I'll post my findings but if that doesn't reveal any issues then I think we should probably leave it there!

It's your call. I'm happy to help figure it out. Let me know...

Conrad wrote:

I'm on the 32bit version of vista

Actually, I'm an idiot. smile
I'm on the 32 bit version of XP, not vista.

Heh, the mixertest crashes!
It's clearly a configuration issue at my end. If I reinstalled my machine with a clean XP install I'm sure it would work, others have proved that. I'm not prepared to do that just for the volume control though. It's probably too awkward to figure out exactly what it is that's causing the issues.

Thanks again for all your help and, if I DO do a clean install I'll definitely be installing this utility.

+1 for entry into the hall of fame. Sorry to dirty up your thread!

33 (edited by sgardner 2008-10-22 02:01:01)

Conrad wrote:

Sorry to dirty up your thread!

You have not done that. This entire forum is dedicated to solving problems. Your's is just as worthy of consideration as any other.

Good luck.

Scott

Just to let you know, I did a clean install again over the festive period and the volume control utility works like a charm!
It's simple and elegent, as it should be.

The only change I coujld suggest would be that the close button actually minimises the app to the system tray rathern than closing it. While I've been faffing about with hooking up a new TV there's been a couple of times I've closed the app instead of minimizing it. It's not really your duty to cater for that kind of user error so if you don't change it I'd understand, it's not even close to being a big issue.

Many thanks again and I hope the new year sees you well.

Conrad

I?m using RME Fireface 800 with a Dell Windows XP computer (latest service pack installed).  I?m having trouble installing this volume controller.  I get the error:

To run this application, you must first install one of the following versions of the .Net Framework: v2.0.50727
Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .Net Framework.

Can anyone please give me some direction?

Also, what do you guys mean by a ?loopback cable??  Does that mean I need to hook the MIDI in to the MIDI out on the RME Fireface 800?

How to create a loopback connector for the fireface 400? I wish to test this software!

barthowk wrote:

I?m using RME Fireface 800 with a Dell Windows XP computer (latest service pack installed).  I?m having trouble installing this volume controller.  I get the error:

To run this application, you must first install one of the following versions of the .Net Framework: v2.0.50727
Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .Net Framework.

Can anyone please give me some direction?

Also, what do you guys mean by a ?loopback cable??  Does that mean I need to hook the MIDI in to the MIDI out on the RME Fireface 800?

You will need .net 2.0 installed.

A "loopback cable" is just a regular cable hooked up between the in and out midi ports.

federico wrote:

How to create a loopback connector for the fireface 400? I wish to test this software!

Take a regular cable and connect it between the out and in midi ports

39 (edited by sgardner 2010-03-06 19:16:57)

Latest version (0.1.3.0)  Supports Presets.

New version here: Windows Volume Relay
Number buttons 1-8 on remote/keyboard select preset 1-8 when mute is active.

sgardner wrote:
federico wrote:

Take a regular cable and connect it between the out and in midi ports

Thanks, I will try as soon as possible.
Fede

Hi,
   I am running XP64 and when I go to load the latest version of WVR I get the following message:

WindowsVolumeRelay.exe   Application error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)

I downloaded the application from this forum thread twice and could not initialize either of them.

Is this a problem with XP64, or is there something I am supposed to do with the RME 9632 software setup that will allow your WVR to initialize?

Thank you so much for providing this help.

It is very kind.

Fred

Fred wrote:

Hi,
   I am running XP64 and when I go to load the latest version of WVR I get the following message:

WindowsVolumeRelay.exe   Application error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)

This error is most likely caused by .net framework not being installed.

You can get the x64 Redistributable: Here.

or just install SP2.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly.  We are stripping down XP 64 for musical purposes and do not want to gum up the works by adding in the .net framework.  Am I out of luck?

Thanks again for your giving spirit,

Fred

Fred wrote:

We are stripping down XP 64 for musical purposes and do not want to gum up the works by adding in the .net framework.  Am I out of luck?

I am afraid so.

WVR is written in C# and C# requires .net.

Sorry,

Scott

looks good but my Echo Layla already does this?

Btw, I'm using the new Kore2 driver to control the master volume. Works perfectly.
Just open the Controller Editor, create a new template with CC7 on any knob you like
and assign the Kore2 MIDI interface on the preferences page.
Gives you a very neat volume control.

Wow, over 10000 hits and not a single donation. I'm not sure what to think sad

Looks great !
Anything similar for MAC OS X ?

49 (edited by sgardner 2009-12-30 19:16:33)

New Release: 0.1.5.0

Just use any of the links above.

This version includes a configuration.xml file that stores the last midi port used. It also allows you to assign keyboard keys to presets 1-8. Other Midi commands will be added in future.

Example:

<WindowsVolumeRelay>
        <Keys>
                <F2 Modifiers="Control,Shift">Preset2</F2>
                <F3 Modifiers="">Preset3</F3>
                <F4 Modifiers="">Preset4</F4>
                <F5 Modifiers="">Preset5</F5>
        </Keys>
        <MidiDevice>2- Multiface Midi</MidiDevice>
</WindowsVolumeRelay>

Also included is a program (KeyPress.exe) for determining what key has been pressed and generates a template tag for that key.

Important note: If the keypress contains the "Control" modifier (see F2 above) and you are sending a preset command then the factory preset will be called up.

brought to you by Sachin.

Thanks man,

Scott

If you want to avoid the physical midi loopback cable. I recommend LoopBe1 virtual midi cable.

http://www.nerds.de/en/download.html

It works fine on both XP x32 and Vista x64.

Scott