51 (edited by sgardner 2010-03-03 02:46:07)

Re: Control TotalMix via Vista Master Volume with this utility

So 14000 plus hits and one donation. I was hoping to see i bit more support for this.

I really want to upgrade my gear from a Multiface II to HDSP MADI plus M-16 DA.

If you have found Windows Volume Relay helpful to you here's your chance to return the favor and help me a little bit.

Please click on this link and donate $1 to my upgrade fund. (This is less than the cost of a soft drink. It's worth that much. Isn't it?)

https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_donate_LG.gif

I haven't actually used the app more than for a quick test, but I can certaily apreciate the effort you put forth on this project.

$1 donated :-)

I'd also gladly accept any donations to help me get closer to the M32-AD and HDSP MADI card I'm dreaming of fryingpan

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

53 (edited by sgardner 2010-03-03 02:43:56)

Thanks Randyman...

Scott

You have got another five $ for your dream, hehe...
...from me...

regards
Zapp

Regards
Zapp

55 (edited by sgardner 2010-03-03 02:44:15)

Thanks Zapp.

Scott

Due to a giant misunderstanding on my part some regrettable posts were made. MC has graciously removed them at my request.

Thanks MC,

Scott

Greetings Scott,
I just bought a Logitech G110 keyboard which happens to have a VERY nice little volume wheel.
I am currently using Frontier AlphaTrack for main monitor control, but would happily free it up as a DAW controller if I had a good alternative.

I've tested WVR and discovered that because it uses MIDI, it doesnt offer fine control (128 levels only). This is a problem for me as I run my main outputs at around -20 to -35dB for standard listening levels. (Cranesond D/A has quite hot output and ATC monitors have high sensitivity inputs, even with 20dB attenuation)

Long story short, if you could update WVR to transmit 14-bit data, the resolution would be greatly increased and I would be a happy man.
Further, I had the thought that it would be nice to assign those (otherwise useless) Mute, Play, Stop, FF, REW buttons to TotalMix functions such as Dim, Mono, Talkback, etc. These assignments should be user definable.

I would happily make a donation to your cause if you were able to implement 14-bit control.

I'm a beta tester for Magix (Samplitude), Algorithmix, FabFilter, Steven Slate and others, so I'd be more than happy to help you beta-test a new version.

Also, it would be quite advantageous if WVR could install a dummy audio driver to instanciate the Windows mixer required for WVR to run.

Alright, that's enough ideas for now. Feel free to contact me via the PuzzleFactory.com.au website.

All the best, Scott,

Dax Liniere.

Loyal RME user since 2001
[AMD 5800X, 32Gb RAM, Win10x64, NVidia GTX1080ti, UCX+UFX, REAPER x64]

58 (edited by sgardner 2010-03-20 05:04:33)

daxliniere,

The problem is not in MIDI it's the windows volume control. Vista only has 101 discrete levels (0 to 100%). But here is a new version that supports ranging and scaling. The way it works is that you specify VolumeMin and VolumeMax in MIDI terms (0-16383) inside the configuration, WVR will then scale those 101 steps into the range you specify. For example:

Edit Configuration.xml and add the following two lines after the Keys section tag

<VolumeMin>1566</VolumeMin>
  <VolumeMax>5839</VolumeMax>

Save the file and restart WVR. From now on the Windows volume control will range between about -35db to -20db.

Doing a dummy audio driver is a bit farther than I am willing to go at this time however Virtual Audio Cable may work for this purpose and since you just need the control the demo version should be fine.

Have fun... but don't forget to donate wink

Windows Volume Relay
https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_donate_LG.gif

Scott! You rock!!
I'll test it tomorrow (It's 2:30am here) and report back.

Thanks for the prompt 'service'. smile

Hi Scott,
I haven't forgotten about you!! I've been very busy the last few days, I will test it out soon.
Thanks!

61 (edited by daxliniere 2010-03-26 05:03:34)

Hey Scott,
Works fine! $10 sent.

What are the chances of implementing my other idea?:

"Further, I had the thought that it would be nice to assign those (otherwise useless) Mute, Play, Stop, FF, REW buttons to TotalMix functions such as Dim, Mono, Talkback, etc. These assignments should be user definable."

There's another donation in it for ya smile

Thanks, Scott!
Dax.

Scott? smile

Been really busy lately. I'll see if I can put something together in the next couple weeks.

No troubles, mate, I just wasn't sure if we had to send out a search party. wink
All in good time.

Take care,
Dax.

Hi Scott,
How you going?

I was thinking more about your WVR program and I had a brainstorm!

Recently I bought a new computer keyboard and it turns out it has a very handy volume scroll wheel.
I wasn't interested in that feature when I bought it, but it turns out it's actually fantastic!

The Logitech G110, here's a couple shots of the wheel:
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/Data/20 … 10_675.jpg
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewima … 110/20.jpg

Anyways, on to my idea;
As you mentioned, the problem with windows volume is that it lacks resolution. 127 steps is really not much.
Here's the interesting part: because you can receive AND SEND data to windows' master volume, you can actually manipulate it and bend it to give infinitely fine resolution!

Example;
WVR reads the initial level from Totalmix, to provide a known starting point. (Alternatively, WVR could always initiates Totalmix volume to -inf)
Then the 'magic' happens.

The user turns up his/her endless volume control (such as G110 or common +/- pushbuttons). Once WVR has received the value 127, it sends a command to the windows mixer to set it's volume back to 0, however, WVR keeps counting from this point. Again, the windows mixers will reach it's max level of 127 and WVR will reset this level.

This is how you can get infinitely fine resolution from a fixed resolution (endless) rotary encoder.

Let's take this example:
WM = Windows Mixer
TM = TotalMix
WVR = your program, 2.0 wink

Let's also say in WVR we have assigned 381 steps (3x127) of resolution to Totalmix faders. (Obviously this would be mapped to the 14-bit data, but for the sake of a simple example, we will ignore that)

WM = 0
TM = 0
<The user increases their volume control...>
WM = 1
TM = 1
WM = 2
TM = 2
WM = 125
TM = 125

WM = 126
TM = 126

WM = 127
<WVR sends signal to WM setting it to 0>
WM = 0
<WVR sends a signal to TM setting it to 127>
TM = 127

WM = 1
TM = 128
WM = 2
TM = 129
WM = 126
TM = 253
WM = 0
TM = 254

<WVR sends signal to WM setting it to 0>
WM = 0
<WVR sends a signal to TM setting it to 127>
TM = 255
etc...

If what I've said is unclear, let me know and I'll have a go at being more clear.

Bundle this feature with the user-assigned buttons feature I suggested before and I think you have a brilliant product on your hands!

So, what do you think?

Anyone alive?

Hey Scott, any news if you'll further develop WVR for include these features?

daxliniere wrote:

Hey Scott, any news if you'll further develop WVR for include these features?

Checkout EventGhost at http://www.eventghost.org/ it is free and will allow you to everything you are trying to do plus a lot more...

Scott

Hey Scott!
Thanks for that info! I'll check it out for sure.

All the best
Dax.

Sgardner what  is the latest version for windows xp professional 32 bit. Interested in getting this software.
Is service pack 3 required?
What about the loopback midi cable is that required?
I am already using the midi on my firewire 800

71 (edited by daxliniere 2010-09-13 14:56:31)

Hi Scott,
I was trying to get the multimedia keys on my Logitech G110 to send Dim, Mono, Monitor Main, Monitor Phones 1, Monitor Phones 2 & Monitor Phones 3 commands, but I can't seem to work out the syntax.

According to Totalmix manual, these are the appropriate MIDI commands:
(command - hex - decimal)
Dim - 5D - 93
Mono - 2A - 42
Monitor Main - 3E - 62
Monitor Phones 1 - 3F - 63
Monitor Phones 2 - 40 - 64
Monitor Phones 3 - 41 - 65

Do I use hexadecimal or decimal?

Could you please give an example? <VolumeMute Modifiers="">NoteOn, 1, 93, 0</VolumeMute> doesn't work, it only switches to preset#7 for some reason.

Thanks in advance!
Dax.

BTW, the EventGhost people don't answer a single post, even with money offered!?

Scott,
Do you think you could manage a reply, please? I'm dying to get the multimedia keys to work with WVR.

I routed WVR's output to a MIDI monitor program. Volume shows fine (of course), but the buttons don't transmit the correct signals.
Even when NoteOff is changed to NoteOn, it still transmits NoteOff signals.

If this is an unresolved bug, then okay, I know you don't want to work on this anymore since no-one donated, but if it's just user error, I'd really appreciate some instructions on how to get it working.

Thanks for your time,
Dax.

Daxliniere,

I could not work out how to get eventghost to work with midi (without coding in python my own midi plugin).

But I did find how to do it with autohotkey, where example midi code exists.

I have got the same functionality of WVR now with autohotkey, but it is more reliable. I am using a control change command, which changes the Main Monitor in totalmix. WVR was linked directly to the selected channels under midi control, and this caused me problems.

It should be straightforward to get multimedia keys to perform functions in totalmix, provided they have a midi command.

Brad

Brad! I'm very glad to meet you! Thanks for posting here to let us know what you've discovered.

According to Totalmix manual, these are the appropriate MIDI commands:
(command - hex - decimal)
Dim - 5D - 93
Mono - 2A - 42
Monitor Main - 3E - 62
Monitor Phones 1 - 3F - 63
Monitor Phones 2 - 40 - 64
Monitor Phones 3 - 41 - 65

Would you mind posting your Autohotkey script here? If you don't have hosting, let me know and I will arrange it.

Thanks again,
Dax.

Hi

This forum won't let me post attachments, and I don't have any hosting.

As opposed to WVR, I use the Monitor Main to change the volume in totalmix. That is via midi, the change change volume will change the volume of the channel set to monitor main in totalmix.

I don't know if this will work for you.

Hey Brad,
I just tried to PM you, but evidently that feature is not enabled on this forum.

Would you mind emailing me, please? The email link is 5 lines below my name (on the left <---  smile )

77 (edited by snagger56 2011-08-01 02:32:08)

Quick Question Just To Verify! Will this work on fireface 800 on windows 7, 32 bit PC? Provided .net framework is installed and totalmix pref's are set as described. Also I only have the option in windows update to install .net framewor 3.5 and 3.5.1 is this satisfactory for application to run properly. Also would I need a midi patch cable for loopback. I am using a logitech Keyboard that came with PC. It includes Stop/play, Volume Up, Volume Down, And mute control buttons.

Thanks, Randy

System Specs:
Creation Station Tower, Intel Core i5 - 650 (3.2GHz CPU),Intel Motherboard DH55HC, 2x Seagate 500GB SATA Hard Drives, 4GB DDR3/1333 RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit.

Is there anyone here that can answer my question?

sgardner wrote:

If you want to avoid the physical midi loopback cable. I recommend LoopBe1 virtual midi cable.

http://www.nerds.de/en/download.html

It works fine on both XP x32 and Vista x64.

Scott

Hi Scott,

This could be interesting for me.
I tried it out tonight but did not manage it to start working.

Can you give me any hint, how to configure LoopBe?

Thanks in advance
Matthias

Matty wrote:
sgardner wrote:

If you want to avoid the physical midi loopback cable. I recommend LoopBe1 virtual midi cable.

http://www.nerds.de/en/download.html

It works fine on both XP x32 and Vista x64.

Scott

Hi Scott,

This could be interesting for me.
I tried it out tonight but did not manage it to start working.

Can you give me any hint, how to configure LoopBe?

Thanks in advance
Matthias

Anyone who can help me?

Regards
Matthias

Hi Scott, the program don't work whit the new totalmix! Do you have any recommendation?

82 (edited by soundstormvfx 2012-09-13 19:39:10)

Just wanted to thank you for this app! I recieved my RME card just yesterday and noticed the "volume control problem". I tried with the other software mentioned in these forums, but it didn't catch any Multimedia Key. However it works wonderful with yours, im so happy. :-) (Of course I donated 10$.)

Hi everyone!

A friend sent me here. Apparently (i haven't tried) volume relay doesn't work on some newer windows versions.

I hacked together a bunch of code (mostly from examples found online) to make an app that let's you sync the system volume with a midi device. It works both ways: Changing the volume on the midi device changes the system volume and the other way around.

It's tested in Win7, but it should also work in older and newer versions.
The application is standalone with no installer, but you'll need to install the .NET framework.

Download
Source Code
Donate

100x50

I tried it under W7 32 with a Babyface (requires one way communicattion setup as it has only one I/O, which will cause feedback as soon as you enable both ways), and it worked very good.

If you want to further improve that tool: give the window the minimize button and let the program listen to the keyboards mute key too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

85 (edited by karoloydi 2014-12-14 18:28:59)

I tried using it with the new v4 rme driver but I could not figure out how to use it.  I managed to make the main volume control the audio in, but I could not figure out how to make it control the audio out. Does anyone know?

but what about Mac OS X? -.-

MacBook Pro Mid 2012 i7 @ 2,3 GHz 16 GB @ SSD's | RME FireFace UCX
Vienna, AUSTRIA

Dorian C wrote:

but what about Mac OS X? -.-

Write an app for Mac like sgardner kindly did for PC?

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Isn't there really a way to assign the Windows volume to TotalMix's master volume somehow? If not, what about RME adding this feature to the next version of TotalMix for Windows? That would be greatly appreciated smile

89 (edited by Manuel 2015-06-14 05:25:53)

I've been using Windows Volume Relay (WVR) for a long time with my Fireface 400 without any issues, yesterday I updated the drivers which replaces the old "firefacemix.exe" with the new "TotalMixFX.exe". The new version looks amazing and offers many powerful new features (loving the new trim function),  but I can't get WVR to control the output channel faders sad  I know MIDI is working fine because WVR still works fine with firefacemix.exe, and half-works with the new mixer app (I can control the top row of faders).

My settings are as follows (I have ensured the old firefacemix.exe is closed so that only one app is trying to use the virtual MIDI port):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98636804/Forums/RME/2015-06-14-104141%20MIDI%20settings.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98636804/Forums/RME/2015-06-14-104714%20Channel%20layout.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98636804/Forums/RME/2015-06-14-103821%20Volume%20Relay.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98636804/Forums/RME/2015-06-14-105504%20Mixer.png

In the old mixer I could see 8 amber indicators under the faders that were controlled by the Mackie Control Universal, but in the new I cannot see them. Currently I am able to control faders on the "Inputs" row (top row), but I cannot shift down to the other rows like I can in the old TotalMix.exe.

Also, another question, Key commands... > Remote Control -- Why are these combo boxes grayed out?

Thanks in advance!

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400

WVR does not work with TotalMix FX because we removed the former 'wrap around' 8-channel movement, which was highly confusing. So now you need an up/down arrow to change rows, which WVR doesn't have.

But if Windows volume control is all you need (topic of this thread) then you should use the above tool from kritzikratzi, which works perfectly and doesn't use Mackie protocol at all (CC7).

> In the old mixer I could see 8 amber indicators under the faders
As mentioned in the manual, assign a MIDI output port and they will be shown.

> Key commands... > Remote Control -- Why are these combo boxes grayed out?
Because you don't have a RME Basic or Advanced Remote Control with a FF400.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

WVR does not work with TotalMix FX because we removed the former 'wrap around' 8-channel movement, which was highly confusing. So now you need an up/down arrow to change rows, which WVR doesn't have.

But if Windows volume control is all you need (topic of this thread) then you should use the above tool from kritzikratzi, which works perfectly and doesn't use Mackie protocol at all (CC7).

> In the old mixer I could see 8 amber indicators under the faders
As mentioned in the manual, assign a MIDI output port and they will be shown.

> Key commands... > Remote Control -- Why are these combo boxes grayed out?
Because you don't have a RME Basic or Advanced Remote Control with a FF400.

Thanks MC, that explains it all.

Would it be possible to add an option so that the Main fader responds to the system Volume keys? It seems the obvious thing to do. The tool kritzikratzi's hacked together is basically useless to me becasue I cannot start minimized to the system tray and cannot autoconnect. So I will continue to use the old Fireface Mixer until hopefully global hotkeys are added.

92 (edited by Randyman... 2015-06-14 23:20:51)

Agree with Manuel:

As a small suggestion - I know RME is hesitant to add "native" keyboard volume control to TM because it can ultimately cause issues in production environments (this is likely the safest approach for mission critical installations, bar none).  However, I believe it is well known that lots of RME interfaces are used in multipurpose desktop PC's that are not dedicated to production alone.

I submit you could make this keyboard volume control functionality selectable in the DSP Settings window (or in preferences).  Default to "keyboard volume control = disabled" so no one is ever caught off guard when updating drivers.  Maybe even allow the keyboard volume to be assignable to Main, Spk-B, and Phones control room Outputs?  Of course, linking Mains and Speaker B volumes would still allow keyboard controls to work for both.

Just tossing this out there smile  I know I would get some use out of this in my home setup (have an ARC at the studio - would not want to run without one there!), but this is obviously not going to make or break my multipurpose home PC setup.

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Thanks,

I figured out how to use Volume-Midi application.
For some reason I had to use channel 5&6 as my main channel to control volume cause if I selected channel 1&2 I could not select the correct in/outs in the matrix for surround. It would autoselect the wrong channels. Then I linked 5&6 to 1&2 + 3&4 so that all faders move together.
Is there a way to autoselect the midi device and autoconnect?
I saw there is an xml file in the folder. Maybe by editing it. I am not sure.

Thanks

Randyman... wrote:

Agree with Manuel:

As a small suggestion - I know RME is hesitant to add "native" keyboard volume control to TM because it can ultimately cause issues in production environments (this is likely the safest approach for mission critical installations, bar none).  However, I believe it is well known that lots of RME interfaces are used in multipurpose desktop PC's that are not dedicated to production alone.

I submit you could make this keyboard volume control functionality selectable in the DSP Settings window (or in preferences).  Default to "keyboard volume control = disabled" so no one is ever caught off guard when updating drivers.  Maybe even allow the keyboard volume to be assignable to Main, Spk-B, and Phones control room Outputs?  Of course, linking Mains and Speaker B volumes would still allow keyboard controls to work for both.

Just tossing this out there smile  I know I would get some use out of this in my home setup (have an ARC at the studio - would not want to run without one there!), but this is obviously not going to make or break my multipurpose home PC setup.

cool

Agreed. Would be nice. Volume up+down + Mute (for main outputs) would be enough for me.

95 (edited by karoloydi 2015-07-21 07:56:54)

For anyone that is interested, I have edited the volume midi code of kritzikratzi.
I made it autoselect and autoconnect to the first midi device on the list and also start minimised in the tray.
So, if you add a shortcut of the program on windows startup folder it should start automatically without you having to do anything.
Here's the link:
https://app.box.com/s/jsqcc052ojnqy9t41kq82er3fudhh0k9

If your device is the second on the list download this one:
https://app.box.com/s/ulw9rx35emblrjhj0cxjp33xao47oknx

If your midi device is the third on the list use this one:
https://app.box.com/s/mk6aczjljbc1tyysy1z4k1vfnck04p0d

Source code:
https://app.box.com/s/8v58ctcqebr7is1z9bu67n3z2zablqj5

I am quite proud of myself. I figured out how to do this with no programing experience at all. smile

96 (edited by Manuel 2015-08-20 10:35:42)

A lot of users would really be happier if TotalMix had the option to respond to global volume keys. Using third-party MIDI workarounds like this (sorry Karoloydi) means one more thing to maintain and one more thing to go wrong.

Manuel wrote:

A lot of users would really be happier if TotalMix had the option to respond to global volume keys. Using third-party MIDI workarounds like this (sorry Karoloydi) means one more thing to maintain and one more thing to go wrong.

That is so true! And I don't think this is so big to create for RME.

That said, the karoloydi's utility is great!! Here is some improvements :

- change the icon to white so we can see it clearly
- make the mute button work would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Are the download links broken?

99 (edited by producerism 2015-09-15 13:14:50)

karoloydi wrote:

For anyone that is interested, I have edited the volume midi code of kritzikratzi.
I made it autoselect and autoconnect to the first midi device on the list and also start minimised in the tray.

Any chance you could explain the process of editing the code (my MIDI loopback device is actually 5th in the list)? My best guess is that I need to edit line 44 of Form1.cs, so that deviceList.SelectedIndex defaults to the current MIDI item in the list... but I could be wrong, because when I run the app I get an error saying "The specified device handle is invalid"

I'm not new to programming, but have no idea where to start. Since you already got it working, I'd love to know how.

Update: It seems I was on the right path -- for some reason when running the code direct from Visual Studio, I would get the "specified device handle is invalid" error, but instead of testing from inside of Visual Studio, if I run the MidiVolume.exe inside of bin/release after compiling it works perfectly!

**UPDATED VERSION**

With this version, you can hit "remember" to save your preferred device, which will automatically load.

http://i.imgur.com/nvy7kyQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gQPkDwy.jpg

download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nc0bn668iiwsr … e.zip?dl=0
source: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4c470g5vm86ajx/src.zip?dl=0

OK, so after messing around with the code a bit, I've created a new version that I believe will be helpful to everyone here. When launching the program, if there is a file called device.txt found in the same folder as MidiVolume.exe, then it will automatically connect to that device, and the app will automatically minimize to the system tray (so once you have it setup, you won't see it again, unless you click on the icon in system tray)

If the device.txt file doesn't exist, or if the device name in that file isn't found on your system, then the program will launch as normal, and you can select one from a list.

To save a device, simple click the "Remember" button, and it will create that device.txt file for you automatically.

ashokleyland wrote:

- change the icon to white so we can see it clearly
- make the mute button work would be greatly appreciated!

- changing the icon is easy, but I actually decided to leave it alone for now.
- as for adding mute support, that's actually a good idea that I'll try to implement as well. I remember having an issue with WVR and the old version of TotalMix, where using the mute button would sometimes stop working randomly (audio would unmute by itself), which almost blew my speakers/eardrums a few times...

AWESOME!!
That's exactly what I wanted to make. But my total lack of programming knowledge wouldn't let me.
I'm running it now. Runs great.