1 (edited by Darius van H 2023-07-24 16:48:15)

Topic: Mute isn't per output?

Hi folks,

Perhaps i'm misunderstanding something with TotalMix, but am i right in thinking that if i mute an input, it's muted for all outputs?

But if i do pan or fader volume, that is per output?

If so, isn't this kinda weird? I mean, it would be useful to be able to mute each input per output, and mute is just the same as pulling the fader all the way down, so it must be technically possible, right?

Thanks!

EDIT: i think i already have my answer from the other thread .........

2 (edited by ramses 2023-07-24 16:51:39)

Re: Mute isn't per output?

Nothing weired.

Muting an input has an impact on all submixes because you mute that input.

This makes sense because by this, you can mute an input faster for all the submixes instead of having to click to every HW output and to turn the input fader down .. (submix per submix, output per output, simply takes too long).

This is useful in situations where you want to prevent noise coming in from e.g. a not connected analog port.
Then it makes sense to mute this input quickly for each of the outputs where the input fader might potentially be set to up which would induce noise into those submixes.

In contrast to that:
- if you want to deactivate an input for a particular submix, then you would simply turn the input fader down
- if you pan an input, then this is also an operation for a particular HW output / aka "submix".

Think about it … and that there are recording interfaces with up to 198 HW outputs / submixes (MADIface XT).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Darius van H 2023-07-24 17:03:46)

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't mean that it would be weird to have the global mute function, only that it was weird that the other way (mute per output) wasn't implemented.

It's technically simple to implement, and would be very useful for certain applications.

So why not allow that functionality?

Anyway, after i posted this, i did a little more searching and found another thread, to which i replied with an example of how it would be useful: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34114

You're probably already aware, but on a majority of RME interfaces you can override mute with solo. I believe it is just the UFX line that does not support this.

So, if you never want a specific track to mute on a specific output just activate solo for that track on that specific output.

MADI FX, Fireface UFX+, ADI-648, HDSPe RayDAT, ADI-192 DD