Topic: Firmware update 2.5.0 v166 - stops auto connecting streams in Hive

Hi,

Yesterday I updated the firmware on my 1610 with 2.5.0 v166.

Good: It now remembers my setting in the AVB Tool.

Bad: It no longer auto connects the streams configured in Hive (expanded from the horizontal row)

Is there a way for the device to remember this setting? It worked without a glitch on the previous firmware.

Running this with one single cat-5 utp cable between the 1610 and my Mac mini M1. Works really well except for these setting that need to be reconfigured before every session. I am not seasoned in using AVB but I got it to work with Hive and AVB Tool. It was a struggle to set up but worth it since it works so well and sounds phenomenal. Sold my Burls.

Thanks!

/p

Re: Firmware update 2.5.0 v166 - stops auto connecting streams in Hive

Hi Peter,

which Mac OS version are we talking about?

Best
Marc

Hi Marc,

I tried now to update to the latest Mac os: Ventura 13.5.1 but the behaviour remains. I updated from Monterey

Kind regards
Peter

Hi Peter,

do you remember which firmware version the M-1610 was flashed with before the update?

We are able to reproduce the behaviour, but it seems strange as we haven't touched that part for quite a while now. Might as well be a change in MacOS.

Some background:
In the initial AVB standard, or, for that matters, the control part of it, IEEE 1722.1, autoconnect wasn't specified. The only feature in there was "fast connect", that describes how every device should reconnect it's inputs on device start, so the entire system comes up faster, but handing control over to a centralized controlling entity thereafter. Unfortunately this feature was underspecified for standalone operation and left quite some details open. Plus it just didn't cover all use cases in the first place.
However, it was kind of agreed within the industry, that every device should reconnect its inputs as best as it can. To my knowledge, only Apple did it differently and tried to reconnect both directions.
Milan specified a more advanced autoconnect functionality later, that's what we have implemented on our devices. This worked pretty well alongside Apple's implementation.
Please note here that we do not officially support connecting to a Mac yet, as we are striving for full Milan compliance at the moment, which is partly orthogonal with what Mac OS expects.
So our devices reconnect their inputs, and it is expected that all others do it that way as well. When investigating this issue, I've found that Mac OS replies with "My inputs are connected to the M-1610" but it never actually tries to establish the connection beforehand. Now we just have to find out what we do different now, compared to the previous firmware your device was running...

Best regards
Marc

Hi Marc,

Thank you very much for the in-depth answer. I do not recall which firmware I used prior to that but I do know that I purchased the wonderful 1610 September 2022 from Thomann. I can imagine I did a firmware update when I first set it up with the one that was available in September 2022. It has worked superb despite the manual setting needed in the AVB Tool each time. As I mentioned, the AVB Tool routing is now fixed and correct with each session.

Yes, it might be something with MacOS still the same behaviour remained after updating from osx 12 to 13. I am a developer myself and understand the complexity. Hope you find a solution. I will probably sometime in the future purchase the m32 combo but I do not look forward to configure it smile. Anyway, still worth it. The 1610 sounds phenomenal.

Kind regards
Peter