Topic: Vinyl Studio Question

Hello

My setup for recording records: 

Moon 110LP
ADI-2 PRO FS R BE
Vinyl Studio

Vinyl Studio: In the Recording Equalization, including RIAA section, do I need to check the Enable Equalization box? Or, does my phono pre amp already take care of that

Re: Vinyl Studio Question

If you have an external phono preamp, it would have the appropriate gain structure and reciprocal EQ for vinyl.  I have an external phono preamp and take its analogue outputs into the ¼" inputs on my ADI-2 Pro...  works GREAT!!  I would certainly suggest playing different vinyl selections to help in selecting the proper gain settings for your input stage.  Try to leave yourself 6dB of headroom when setting your input gain.

Thanks! I didn't realize it but I recorded a few albums with the Enable Equalization box checked, will that affect anything? And yes, I record albums below -6db

ericseaberg wrote:

If you have an external phono preamp, it would have the appropriate gain structure and reciprocal EQ for vinyl.  I have an external phono preamp and take its analogue outputs into the ¼" inputs on my ADI-2 Pro...  works GREAT!!  I would certainly suggest playing different vinyl selections to help in selecting the proper gain settings for your input stage.  Try to leave yourself 6dB of headroom when setting your input gain.

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-08-17 06:09:43)

metal4ever wrote:

Thanks! I didn't realize it but I recorded a few albums with the Enable Equalization box checked, will that affect anything? And yes, I record albums below -6db

ericseaberg wrote:

If you have an external phono preamp, it would have the appropriate gain structure and reciprocal EQ for vinyl. ...

RIAA playback EQ curve is quite extreme: 20 dB bass boost and 20 dB treble cut (the green one in the graph.

If you have it wrong this should be noticeable by ear.

http://www.mh-audio.nl/images/Calculators/RIAACurve.png

Thanks for the response, when the Enable Equalization box was checked in Vinyl Studio it gives different options to choose from like "Inverse RIAA" and "RIAA (Largely Standard From 1954 On) and "Flat" It was on flat when I recorded a few albums and I did not notice a sound difference when the Enable Equalization box was checked or not.

KaiS wrote:
metal4ever wrote:

ericseaberg wrote:

If you have an external phono preamp, it would have the appropriate gain structure and reciprocal EQ for vinyl. ...

RIAA playback EQ curve is quite extreme: 20 dB bass boost and 20 dB treble cut (the green one in the graph.

If you have it wrong this should be noticeable by ear.

http://www.mh-audio.nl/images/Calculators/RIAACurve.png