Topic: Ableton hardware return overload?

Hello, I must be gaping out on something in my gain stage or I’m missing something causing a feed back loop.

Ufx+/m-32pro ad/da/ableton.
Running fresh M2 studio everything updated. Nice machine!

Stereo compressor and EQ setup via ableton’s audio effect plug-in within a return track. Normally I use a return track in ableton but rather save the space.

When I bring the level up of my output (submix) and software channel I’m getting way to hot.

Spikes and if I even get close to unity the whole system goes into a crazy overload digital ear killer. Freaked me out actually. Panicked to shut it down. Checked cables.
Balanced XLR to TRS via RME DTOX.

So… the real weird thing is I have a UCX2
Running on a m1 laptop. Some how all my hardware effects are working beautifully.

Does this have anything to do with Madi channels? Suspect but my h9000 is setup with madi and those effect channels work fine.

Maybe it’s best to start fresh with a new mixer? Could be that my workspace from
my intel mac/driver got corrupted?

Ableton digital I/O gain set to unity. Fully wet. Basic comp settings and EQ balanced.

I should be able to run pretty hot signals or at least unity gain in totalmix.

Ha… before I melt my ears and give the rest of the building sonic noise attack I’d like to sort these returns out.

Thx in advance.
Eden

Re: Ableton hardware return overload?

If you have the TotalMix input fader up for the FX loop output that will create a feedback loop. Check that or reset your mixer.

Options > Reset Mix > Straight playback

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hmm… I swear I don’t have the physical input fader up. Not in the studio today.
Back tomorrow. Resetting the mixer makes sense. I also noticed the full channel count wasn’t laid out in full. The last 16 or so Madi channels. Where my h9000 channels are. Although I’m still getting signal? I wanted to reference those channels specifically to see the routing.
Then noticed them showing up lower in the Madi channel layout 40’s.

I did update my M-32’s but saved there state before the update. Should probably check the Madi routing again.

Any tricks on how to prevent such a sonic sound to hit the system? Never had a hit like that. Speakers seem ok. I had to shut my computer down to stop it. Quitting total mix and connection pane didn’t help the madness. Main out were set super low.

Cracking on tomorrow again.
Cheers
E

4 (edited by edenrausch 2023-08-30 01:42:37)

Sorted out returns. Still way to hot. Touchy.
Now having signals not coming through inputs by default. I have to pull the channel volume up to hear the signal? Works fine   with some channels. Random on different channels. I’m running Ableton so I rebuild a suspect drum rack but no dice.
It’s almost like totalmix isn’t connected with ableton. The signals are there but some do not send to my main output unless I pull the faders up?. Reset twice. Man, just getting back to a default setup is driving me nuts.

I might as well rebuild a complete new totalmix and ableton project again.

5 (edited by waedi 2023-08-30 07:18:28)

Totalmix is not "connected" to Ableton, the output channels of Ableton are the Software Playback channels in Totalmix (the middle row faders).
The input channels in Ableton receiving the audio from the Hardware Input channels from Totalmix (top row faders). these signals are provided to Ableton regardless of any faderposition in Totalmix. Only exception is a Loopback.
Totalmix is a monitoring software and for listening you have to pull up faders.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Figured it out. Had to do with a old drum rack external instrument in Ableton. I do understand how totalmix works. Still having issues balancing my hardware compressor and stereo eq. Can’t get a proper signal without the levels running away on me.
Both send and return are set low enough that I can see a signal but not up enough to be usable.

7 (edited by ramses 2023-08-31 07:24:45)

edenrausch wrote:

Figured it out. Had to do with a old drum rack external instrument in Ableton. I do understand how totalmix works. Still having issues balancing my hardware compressor and stereo eq. Can’t get a proper signal without the levels running away on me.
Both send and return are set low enough that I can see a signal but not up enough to be usable.

Hi edenrausch, how are you?

I am getting "confused". The start of the thread sounds like "everything too loud / too high levels" and now everything too silent.

Could you kindly deliver concrete information about the device's and analogue port settings (and maybe FX settings) and what the results / the issues are? I think most important, the settings of the analogue inputs and outputs that were in use in terms of reference levels and digital gain.

When it was before too loud and now too silent, then it sounds to me as if you chose possibly the wrong input sensitivity of your analogue input.

Are you aware of, that you can adjust the sensitivity of an analogue port by reference levels in the analogue domain?
It's in most if not all cases also possible to add digital gain on top in the range of ~12 dB, one would have to see the manual for the range of digital gain.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I’m running a Warm stereo Bus comp and two Speck EQ’s as stereo. I’m not adding any digital gain via Ableton. Ableton External instrument settings are at unity. 100% wet.

Compression 3:1 or 5:1
EQ set clean. Using HP for testing.

Output to hardware -20ish (fader)and software channels to hardware set to -20 (fader)as well.
At this level I can barely trigger my compressor or here a sweep from my EQ.
M-32’s are signaling green. The second I pull up the Daw input and output the levels take off into red. M-32’s over load. The control options for Madi input channels are basic. Should it matter with balance hardware tho. 

My madi h9000 channels all run great at unity.

Sorry about the confusion. Channels are hot as hell if I get close to unity. Not much gain introduced from the compressor or EQ.

But… if I ease off the l veld in Total mix then I’m not getting enough signal through my gear.

Hope this makes sense.

Is there a way to select input sensitive for Madi channels?

Thx in Advance. Back in the studio tomorrow.

E

Digital Audio Transfer works different, you do not have to worry about reference levels.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Maybe it’s a matter of pulling back the sends and returns in ableton. There is no real attenuation on the compressor and EQs input. Other than having a ridiculous settings that could push the signal way up.

Funny… I moved my studio 3 months ago.
Set everything up exactly the same OCD style. Realized my 2015 intel max couldn’t cut the mustang anymore. Swapped up for this M2. Then weird issues came up.
Gremlins man.

It’s almost there.
Thanks for checking in

Just looked up the input/output sensitivity of the M-32 pros. Looks like I have choices.
May have changed with the firmware update. Even tho there was mention that the state wouldn’t be effected. Saved it anyway.

Well, once again I’m getting signals going into red. Left channel more than right?
Adjusted both M-32 pros I/O sensitivity.
They were set at +13. Tried +19 and +24.
The same issue as before. When I turn up the software channel and direct output to get a decent level running to my compressor and EQ… levels start to gradually go up on there own into red. The second I see my compressor trigger or hear the slightest of a EQ sweep the levels go out of control. Not to mention if I was to add a bit of makeup gain or crank a mid to hi frequency. These units are almost set as a bypass.
Something isn’t right. This shouldn’t be this touchy to set. Clipping this easy is weird.
Once again everything in ableton feeding and receiving has been 50 to 100% wet. Send and return set to unity. 0 digital gain.
Tried +or- a few db.

13 (edited by waedi 2023-09-05 02:45:27)

Almost bypass is not true bypass.
Bypass these units one by one to sort out the culprit.
Connect the input cable to the output cable for having a real bypass.

Sure… I’ll give it a try.
Thx

Connected the input to the output.
The signals are a bit more stable.
Increased the digital gain I/O in ableton
10db each. Seems to like it. Still after running through my gear the results are weak at best.

What gear is it ?
A compressor can shrink the signal a lot when the makeup-gain is not up...?
Check also the backside of those gear for small switches input-level etc.

The Warm Bud comp. Can handle +29dbu
The Speck EQ’s can handle +28dbu in and out.

Should I have my input sensitivity on both m-32 ad/da set to +24 then? They are now at +19. Changed from (default +13).

Not sure how it relates that much to ableton digital gain. Rather run clean signals, just keep it at 0db.

Today I sat back and really focused on hearing for any processed sound changes. There might have been a sweep of some mids and I did trigger the compressor a bit at 3:1. I know how both of these units sound. Transformers and parametric EQ should be so accurate and noticeable.
Barely audible.

Anyway, lost for sure. I know it worked well before. Great on my master bus or anything you need to cut some frequencies. 

Might ditch this ableton external effects insert and just build return tracks again.

E

Please clarify if the return signal from the outboard gear is too low or too high.
In the beginning it seems the return signal was too high (overload), but in post 15 the result is weak...? Means too low signal ?

19 (edited by ramses 2023-09-07 05:38:28)

edenrausch wrote:

Well, once again I’m getting signals going into red. Left channel more than right?
Adjusted both M-32 pros I/O sensitivity.
They were set at +13. Tried +19 and +24.

The same issue as before. When I turn up the software channel and direct output to get a decent level running to my compressor and EQ… levels start to gradually go up on there own into red. The second I see my compressor trigger or hear the slightest of a EQ sweep the levels go out of control. Not to mention if I was to add a bit of makeup gain or crank a mid to hi frequency. These units are almost set as a bypass.
Something isn’t right. This shouldn’t be this touchy to set. Clipping this easy is weird.
Once again everything in ableton feeding and receiving has been 50 to 100% wet. Send and return set to unity. 0 digital gain.
Tried +or- a few db.

What is "they" .. could you kindly be  more specific whether you talk about input or output channels..
The way you describe it makes it very difficult (for me quite impossible) to follow you,
in terms of what levels (or "problems") seen exactly where in the signal chain.

You should perhaps also make an ASCII drawing about the signal chain and add marker like (1), (2), (3)
so that you can easier reference where you see which levels.

Therefore only this general advice. More is not possible for me....

If the output level of an analog ports becomes too loud, then choose a lower reference level because this correlates with output volume.

If the input level of an analog input is too high because the signal is too hot
a) choose the highest reference level on the analog input, to make the input as insensible as possible to have more headroom for hot signals
*** if the signal is still too hot .. well what could be the reason **** (rhetorical question)
b) reduce the output level of the device which is connected to that input.

Additionally you might check whether your analog hardware (compressor) simply make the ignal too hot by the settings that you choose, well then use lower settings. It can not be the case that a signal is "hot" by "given" and can't be changed.

A good diagram tells more than 1000 words. Awaiting smth like an ASCII drawing, which makes the signal chain easier to understand and follow, example for ASCII drawing here,
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 66#p195766
add markers for inputs and outputs as I told like (1), (2), (3) and document which levels you see on inputs and outputs and which reference level has been selected for the input or output.

20 (edited by oli77sch 2023-09-07 07:20:45)

edenrausch wrote:

… levels start to gradually go up on there own into red...

Hi all
That’s from post nr. 12 above. To me, this is the perfect description of a feedback loop. Since you explained to work normally not with the external effect plugin in Ableton, there obviously is something different to earlier cases you used analog outboard processing. I don’t know Ableton and its effect plugin, but in Logic pro there is something comparable which I use sometimes. Don’t get me wrong please, but I think it’s worth to double check and re-think all settings and routings in both Ableton and TotalMix. For example you could do a simple drawing of the signal flow, the channel numbers and cabling. From my own experience it’s easy to make a mistake in such a setup.
EDIT: for example: when selecting the hardware out in TotalMix of the selected effect send channels (MADI X/Y), is the hardware input with the processed signals fully closed?
EDIT 2: ah sorry, I think you have checked this already.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

21 (edited by edenrausch 2023-09-10 01:29:22)

Yes… I am going to revert to just having return tracks in ableton. Although my effects units (analogue or digital) setups work just fine with routings exactly the same way (external effects plug-in) as my compressor and stereo EQ.

It might be a issue of controlling the I/O more precisely with dedicated return tracks.

Or set the sensitivity right down and drive up the digital gain. Could prevent this hazordus clipping.

As for routing, all of my setups are written down. Checked and updated as things change. I don’t use a patchbay. Using the extra Madi channels and the H9000 for  flexible gear. Everything else is locked in place.

So… at this point it’s all routed correctly but the balancing act is crap with my compressor and EQ.

Thanks

This message I didn’t submit by accent the other day. Figured it’s worth posting.

The Warm Bud comp. Can handle +29dbu
The Speck EQ’s can handle +28dbu in and out.

Should I have my input sensitivity on both m-32 ad/da set to +24 then? They are now at +19. Changed from (default +13).

Not sure how it relates that much to ableton digital gain. Rather run clean signals, just keep it at 0db.

Today I sat back and really focused on hearing for any processed sound changes. There might have been a sweep of some mids and I did trigger the compressor a bit at 3:1. I know how both of these units sound. Transformers and parametric EQ should be so accurate and noticeable.
Barely audible.

Anyway, lost for sure. I know it worked well before. Great on my master bus or anything you need to cut some frequencies. 

Might ditch this ableton external effects insert and just build return tracks again.

E