Topic: Pairing Fireface 802 FS to Audient asp 800, ADAT advice please

Hello guys

I`m trying to pair Fireface 802 FS to Audient asp 800 via ADAT

I am new to both RME and Audient, would like to ask for advice on setting up this system

Would like to have the Audient as slave to the Fireface so I can set sample rate from Logic/RME on the computer

I usually record on 48Khz/24 bits, but sometimes I need to work on projects at 44.1 Khz, that´s why is important for me to be able to change settings easily from the computer

My setup details:

Macbok pro Intel 2019 / 64 gb RaM / OS 12.6.7 Monterey
Fireface 802 FS: Firmware v221 / driver v4.08
Logic Pro 10.7.9

For what I read looks like I might need a BNC cable beside the optical one?

Thanks in advance

2 (edited by ramses 2023-08-28 11:19:30)

Re: Pairing Fireface 802 FS to Audient asp 800, ADAT advice please

Its always the same story with clock synch, product independend and we had zillions of threads to such topics.

You can avoid WC if you take the audient as clock master, RME devices are the perfect clock slave due to SteadyClock technology which takes any jitter out of a clock signal.

Then you only need one or two ADAT cables (depending on whether you want single or double speed for the 8 channels).

Wordclock would require a separate cabling which is not needed as wordclock wouldn't bring any advantage (no better clock quality, nothing in that range).

802 --- ADAT1 IN------------------------ADAT OUT---Audient
        clock slave                               clock master

If you want to control the sample rate by the computer / DAW, then you need Word clock cabling between 802 and audient because the Audient has no other digital inputs ....

802 --- ADAT1 IN------------------------ADAT OUT---Audient
        clock master                                clock master slave (WC)
            |----------------------WC cabling--------------|

In the 802 you configure in the driver settings, whether 802 will act as clock master or slave
Clock Source = internal (802 is master and sends out clock signal on WC and any digital output)
Clock Source = ADAT1 IN … 802 as clock-slave getting clock from the 1st ADAT input.

That's it.

On the Audient you can push the button to terminate this end of the WC cable.
On the 802 you will find a button on the back to activate the termination on that end.
You can plug the 75 Ohm Word Clock cable straight into both units, no need to a BNC-T adapter.

This you can use as WC cable, good quality in terms of plugs and handling and not too expensive.
I don't know whether the two devices are placed close together, if 0.5m is too short, then take a longer cable as needed.
https://www.thomann.de/de/sommer_cable_ … hm_05m.htm

ADAT can be max 10 m long according to standards, between RME devices around 16 m are possible, maybe because they take good TOSLINK and possibly even select them.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello Ramses

Thanks you very much for your answer, now is clear to me

Ok, if I understood well, there is not really any advantage in clock quality having the RME as master, even better would be easier having the RME as slave and take advantage of SteadyClock? and just set clock rate manually on the computer

Thanks again

4 (edited by ramses 2023-08-28 11:42:27)

Hi Zky.

Both is possible for operational reasons I would prefer to get clock settings from DAW ... so use WC cabling.

For the audient it might be an advantage to use its on clock. Might depends on how well WC is implemented there.
For the cheap Behringer many people tell better not to use WC beacause implementation is not so well according to the ridiculous low price of the ADA8200 and that maybe even the clock of the RME device through ADAT could be beneficial to the unit.

Check it out, will not be any "night and day" difference ...
Make test recordings and blind tests .. I am pretty sure you won't recognize a remarkable difference.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

All right

Yes will use the WC

And will do rec tests of course

Much appreciated ramses, thanks again!

You're welcome, would do the same, I prefer to set the clock through application. Its better, easier operation.

Hello Ramses, just a final question..

back panel on the asp 800:

the dbu switch (+18dbu /+12dbu)

which one should i select working together with the fireface and logic, recording at 48Khz/24bits?

no mics involved, it`s all line in (synths,drummachines etc)

thanks

https://d9w4fhj63j193.cloudfront.net/20 … 2%20EN.pdf