1 (edited by shii_hurino 2023-08-28 20:42:04)

Topic: Noise issue when put on standby

I am using ADI-2 DAC FS.
ADI-2 DAC FS is disconnected from the PC and the power plug is also unplugged. So when I connect ADI-2 DAC FS -> line cable (VOVOX) -> speakers, I get a not so small volume noise from the speakers (not very loud noise...)

Then, after connecting the power plug to ADI-2 DAC FS, PC -> USB cable -> ADI-2 DAC FS -> line cable (VOVOX) -> speakers, and then starting ADI-2 DAC FS from standby mode, there is no noise problem at all.

So I am thinking that there is a problem with the ADI-2 DAC FS itself that is causing the noise problem, but what do you think?

VOVOX is non-shielded, so there may be a possibility of noise problem there, but I think VOVOX is irrelevant, because when I connect everything and start ADI-2 DAC FS, the noise problem does not occur.

To begin with, is there a constant noise when ADI-2 DAC FS is put into standby mode with only ADI-2 DAC FS -> line cable (VOVOX) -> speakers connected?

By the way, I don't know if this is related, but I am currently in the process of buying new line cables and only have one speaker connected!

Please let me know if you know of a solution, thank you in advance.

Re: Noise issue when put on standby

shii_hurino wrote:

...I connect ADI-2 DAC FS -> line cable (VOVOX) -> speakers, I get a not so small volume noise from the speakers

VOVOX is non-shielded, so there may be a possibility of noise problem there, but I think VOVOX is irrelevant, because when I connect everything and start ADI-2 DAC FS, the noise problem does not occur.

The non-shielded cable is the culprit. It catches all kinds of stray interferences.

When switched on, ADI-2 terminates the cable with 100 Ohm, this largely dampens the noise.

I see, thank you very much!
I didn't have a similar problem with the Universal Audio Apollo Twin X, but I guess that's because the Apollo can be turned off...

If VOVOX is the cause, I guess I'll need to put the speakers in standby mode voluntarily or find a way to block the signal input to the speakers...

If you know of any other easy solutions, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

I thought the easiest way would be to turn my powered speakers on and off by means of a power strip, what do you think?
If this is a good idea, I will inquire with the manufacturer of the speakers to see if I can adopt that method.

shii_hurino wrote:

I thought the easiest way would be to turn my powered speakers on and off by means of a power strip, what do you think?

Yes, of course.

shii_hurino wrote:

Please let me know if you know of a solution, thank you in advance.

As an experiment you might just want to try grounding the ADI-2. I found it stopped the tiny but perceptible hum in my headphones when the ADI-2 was in standby.

See MC's post here: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/in … st-1551787