Topic: RayDat AES Problem

Hello!

I own a RayDat for a very long time without any issues.
I recently tried to use the AES (XLR) in and out (which I never needed so far) but it dont work: no audio, no lock, no sync. I tried with various AES devices, AES or Wordclock sync, different cables, same problem.
But when I connect AES out to AES in of the RayDat, the loopback works, audio and sync.

Any ideas of what could be the problem ?

Thanks!

Antoine

Antoine

Re: RayDat AES Problem

Hi
Can you please post a screenshot of the Raydat settings window?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

I could post it tomorrow only, I'm not going to the studio today!

Other informations I can give: I'm on PC Windows 11, latest RME drivers and firmware, WCM extension card, Raydat as Master Clock, SPDIF and ADAT i/o always worked fine

Antoine

4 (edited by ramses 2023-08-31 09:49:02)

If loopback works, then AES I/O should work.

I think, like Oli, that you most likely chose the wrong protocol settings like e.g. consumer or professional format (AES or SPDIF format).

It would be interesting to know what device you wanted to connect, which didn't work, and which setting you used in the RME driver settings.

How long is the cable? Although normal XLR cables are reported to run (possibly shorter cables) … Do you use a digital cable with 110 Ohm according to the AES standard?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

I think, like Oli, that you most likely chose the wrong protocol settings like e.g. consumer or professional format (AES or SPDIF format).

I indeed exactly assumed that. But is there really another option than professional AES for the AES XLR i/o connection in the settings?
Maybe the issue is caused from the other device?

If loopback works, then AES I/O should work.

That's why I dont understand what's happening.

I use 1 meter 110ohms AES/EBU cables.

The main goal is to work with an Apogee Rosetta200 and the RayDat.
Connected in SPDIF or ADAT, everything is fine, but not in AES. When I create a loopback with the Rosetta ( Analog In -> AES Out -> AES In -> Analog Out), it's fine, sound is passing through.
Or if I connect another AES device (TC Clarity M) to the Rosetta, it also works, the AES out of the Rosetta feeds correctly the Clarity. But when go back to the AES out of the RayDat, the Clarity receive no sync or audio.
So I assume the Rosetta AES i/o is working, cables too because I made the loopbacks with it.

Antoine

7 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-31 11:38:20)

So the AES connections from and to the Raydat breakout cable doesn’t work with any device?
Could it be a faulty breakout cable? Maybe with a wrong wiring? If for example AES in and out (XLR plugs) are mixed up, it would still work with the cable loop, the signal would simply take the wrong way round. But of course it wouldn’t work with other devices because each the outputs and the inputs of both sides would be connected.

Thank you oli77sch, it makes sense, I will check the breakout cable today!

Antoine

So that was the breakout cable, thank you!
I found that AES in and out are swapped on it, output is the female connector and input is the male connector...
With M/M and F/F XLR adapters, everything works fine.
It's quite strange because I bought my Raydat brand new (about 10 years ago), it's not second hand.

Antoine