Topic: Adi-2 dac fs serial number

Hi everyone.
I have to buy a used Adi-2 dac Fs but the seller doesn't know which chip it has and has no instruction manual. Can someone kindly tell me from which serial number the Ess dac chip started to be assembled.
Thanks for your help.

Re: Adi-2 dac fs serial number

Hello,

This is stated in the manual of the ADI-2 DAC on page 4:
ADI-2 DACs with AK4493 and ES9028Q2M are neither sonically nor visually easily distinguisha-ble. However, the ESS version is recognized by a small C at the end of the serial number sticker (B stood for AKM 4493) on the device only. Furthermore, the units differ in the available filters. The unit with AKM has a filter called Short Delay Low Dispersion, while the one with ESS has a filter called Brickwall (the other filters, SD Sharp, SD Slow, Sharp, Slow, NOS, are identical). Further Chip dependent differences are mentioned in this manual.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

This information you find also in this sticky
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32506

and also here in my blog
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Trap 2023-08-31 10:12:11)

The serial number is 59273627.  No letter after.   Thanks

Why don't you simply use the information that I provided you? https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32506

If you want to check whether ESS or AKM chip is in the device …
Then simply look at which D/A filter the device offers.
Unlike AKM chips, the ESS chips have a "Brickwall" D/A filter, but not "SD LD".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Trap wrote:

The serial number is 59273627.  No letter after.   Thanks

The letter would be spaced off to the side somewhat, not immediately appended to the serial number.

Audio AG Support wrote:

...Furthermore, the units differ in the available filters. The unit with AKM has a filter called Short Delay Low Dispersion, while the one with ESS has a filter called Brickwall (the other filters, SD Sharp, SD Slow, Sharp, Slow, NOS, are identical). ...

The filters between a AKM and ESS carry the same names, but have different characteristics, except maybe “Sharp”, which sounds similar in my experience.
The ESS filters are all “faster”, meaning faster transition between pass-band and stop-band.
This gives an edge of frequency response over transient response.

The difference is even reflected in the manual, where the curves are printed.

Furthermore ESS offers a filter called “SD Low Dispersion”, my usual favorite on this chip.
On AKM my personal favorite is “Slow”, BTW.

KaiS wrote:

Furthermore ESS offers a filter called “SD Low Dispersion”

That'll be with the AKM surely?

9 (edited by KaiS 2023-08-31 12:11:05)

ratty wrote:
KaiS wrote:

???

On ADI-2 Pro (AKM only) SD-LD doesn’t appear.
On ADI-2/4 Pro SE (ESS only) SD-LD does.

The situation might be different in the ADI-2 DAC versions, would be astonishing, but can’t check this.

10 (edited by ramses 2023-08-31 15:09:58)

KaiS wrote:
ratty wrote:
KaiS wrote:

???

On ADI-2/4 Pro SE (ESS only) SD-LD does.

The situation might be different in the ADI-2 DAC versions, would be astonishing, but can’t check this.

Sorry, Kai, misread your posting, seeing now that it was a reply to an answer from Audio AG, so I rephrase now:

Recommendation regarding the question, seller to look into the menu what D/A filters are supported:
- only the ESS version of ADI-2 DAC FS has the "Brickwall" filter
- only the AKM version of ADI-2 DAC FS has the "SD LD" filter

KaiS wrote:
ratty wrote:
KaiS wrote:

???

Your Pro is first generation with Ak4490. The SD LD appeared in AK4493.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Not "Brickwall" in menu...AKM version.
Thanks a lot you all for the precious and decisive help.
Regards

You're welcome and good luck with the purchase.

ADI-2 Remote is also on the way for the Pro FS R as RME just wrote :-)

A few comments from me before I go into my garden, breathe in some fresh air, mow my lawn and relax.

From #2 we have here again a typical example of how resources are wasted in this forum. In particular, @MC's estimated 45 seconds to process the entire thread bothers me. The thread should only have a maximum of 3 posts:
#1 Question
#2 Answer with reference to a Sticky or link
#3 Maybe a feedback from (#1)

For this exemplary process, only one very small linked table/graphic (from RME, max 10 minutes to create (and link here)) would be needed for an answer after all - e.G.:
Sticky: FAQ - Please read first when you want to write a new post here!
- Advanced search - https://forum.rme-audio.de/search.php?advanced=1
- Known firmware errors
- Hardware variants of the ADI-2 DAC
- Hardware variants of the ADI-2 PRO
I would prefer a table/graphic (information is grasped more quickly than text) to a text module (as probably in #2). Those who don't want to believe it should go out on the street with appropriate examples (table/graphic/text), ask people and write down the response times.
I can't imagine that there should be no employee at RME to whom this task could be delegated.

And here's another exemplary addition, so I don't have to write another useless post:
Sticky: ADI-2 Remote
- Generally applicable texts, ...
- Sticky: ADI-2 Remote Pre-Release: Step 1, macOS (Update: released)
- Sticky: ADI-2 Remote Pre-Release: Step 2, Windows (for ADI-2 DAC)
- Sticky: ADI-2 Remote Pre-Release: Step 3, Windows (for ADI-2 PRO / ...)
With this structure - which is possible after the post of Step 2 - redundancies can be avoided.

But I also have some very good news for you: The topic is now finished for me!