1 (edited by Snusmum 2023-09-01 13:52:42)

Topic: Power amp recomendations for RME ADI-2 FS

Hi,

I'm the happy user of this dac which I also use as a preamplifier. It's a very nice product. With autoref. level and a little eq on the low frequencies, this works wery well in my setup.

I have a XTC Edge A2-400 poweramp (https://www.xtzsound.eu/edgea2400?lng=e … 384957521]), a JL audio sub and Pylon Jasper speakers. All in all im quite happy with the setup.

But, I'm wondering if I could get even better sound/performance with another power amp? I've been looking at the NAD M23, which has received quite good reviews.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-01 15:05:27)

Re: Power amp recomendations for RME ADI-2 FS

What you have is already really good.

I have an ICEpower® class D amp here, driving my electrostatic Float QA, Raal Sr1a headphones and other stuff, and there is nothing to criticize on it.

You would be astonished how little the real sound difference between quality power amps is.
The reviews are more about expectation bias and imagination, they can’t be trusted as they never do true blind A/B comparisons, like I did numerous times.

I´m sure you are right. My sound-OCD is always looking for improvements. I`ll continue my mission nagging my wife to get a thicker carpet then. It´s on standby in the cellar

I do not know anything about your current PA but would always suggest Sugden amps - I have never heard anything better.

RPi4 | RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE | Senn HD600 | Sugden Masterclass AA | Teddy Pardo i80d | Naim SBL

Thanks. I’ll have a look

A year ago I invested in a second-hand Benchmark AHB2 so I'd never have to ask myself this question ever again.

Accuphase A36,  48,  75...

Nord Three Purifi amplifier  over here :}

Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC FS > Nord Three 1ET400A ST > Focal Aria 936

Active ATCs here.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

Bryston 4b3, I never intend for an upgrade. It has insane 20 year warranty.

Kinki Studio EX-B7 Monoblock

anthos314 wrote:

A year ago I invested in a second-hand Benchmark AHB2 so I'd never have to ask myself this question ever again.

Very nice amp. Great reviews for their amps. I’ll keep my eyes open for one of those.

RME should make an amp like AHB2..

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

KaiS wrote:

What you have is already really good.

I have an ICEpower® class D amp here, driving my electrostatic Float QA, Raal Sr1a headphones and other stuff, and there is nothing to criticize on it.

You would be astonished how little the real sound difference between quality power amps is.
The reviews are more about expectation bias and imagination, they can’t be trusted as they never do true blind A/B comparisons, like I did numerous times.

Got a real surprise this weekend. I’ve borrowed a Bladelius Ask with buit in streamer  and DAC. It costs about 9.000 euros. First impression was wow. The power and drive! Switching back to the RME/ice combo however was just soothing for the ears; it’s just more agile in my opinion. Higly subjective observation of course…

why would u connect a power amp to the ADI-2 when u can run any headphones from it

is it for speakers?

Of course. I only use the headphone outs on my Pro 2/4 about once every three months.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

Given that the ADI-2 DAC FS is so neutral, might a valve/tube amp be most suitable?

Don't mess it up with coloured stuff like tubes. And don't believe in the myth of serious sonic differences between properly designed amplifiers used within their power envelope. To benefit most from your ADI-2, get a low gain ampliifer. That AHB2 has adjustable gain, and so do the Purifi amps from e.g. Boxem.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema