1 (edited by hammyhavoc 2023-09-03 06:37:01)

Topic: TCO "Input Status" fluctuates between 48kHz and the occasional 44.1kHz

Hi all,

Just added a TCO card alongside my RayDat!

I get the `TCO` option in my Hammerfall DSP Settings on Windows 11 (great), however, the `Input Status` on my `RayDat (1)` in Hammerfall DSP Settings lists `TCO` as `Lock` and `48kHz`, which it remains at, but every few seconds, will display `44.1kHz`. Is this expected behaviour?

Even when it displays `44.1kHz`, it remains `Lock` in status, and it does return to `48kHz`, but will repeat the above endlessly.

The `Clock Mode` is running at `48000Hz` as you'd expect, and the `Clock Source` is `Internal`.

Can anybody shine any light on this?

Re: TCO "Input Status" fluctuates between 48kHz and the occasional 44.1kHz

If you switch the sample rate to let's say 96 kHz in the RayDAT settings, what's going on then ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

If you switch the sample rate to let's say 96 kHz in the RayDAT settings, what's going on then ?

After changing the `Clock Mode` `Sample Rate` to `96000Hz` for `RayDat (1)`, the `Input Status` for `TCO` still fluctuates between `48kHz` and `44.1kHz`.

It's on the latest 4.46 driver too. It's a `TCO Revision 8` if that's of any help to anyone, according to the `About` pane.

4 (edited by waedi 2023-09-03 07:45:00)

I would take out that board and clean all contacts with a rubber erasure and double check all cables it looks like there is something not correct working with the communication.

There is nothing connected on that TCO input ?

Here is the user manual :
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tco_e.pdf

Page 8
Sample Rate
select : From App

Set the DAW to 48kHz, it should then stay on 48

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

I would take out that board and clean all contacts with a rubber erasure and double check all cables it looks like there is something not correct working with the communication.

There is nothing connected on that TCO input ?

Here is the user manual :
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tco_e.pdf

Page 8
Sample Rate
select : From App

Set the DAW to 48kHz, it should then stay on 48

None of the above changed anything. Contacts are clean, even swapped the ribbon cable out. DAW being open didn't make any difference.

Nothing is connected to the TCO I/O, only the ribbon is connected internally.

If I set `Clock Mode`'s `Clock Source` for `RayDat (1)` to `TCO`, the RayDat gives `Current` exclusively as `44100 Hz`, despite the `Input Status` for `TCO` being mostly `48kHz`, and only occasionally swapping to `44.1kHz` every few seconds. This happens even if I change the TCO `Sample Rate` to `48kHz`.

7 (edited by hammyhavoc 2023-09-03 08:52:39)

One thing I just noticed: in the `TCO` panel, the `Frequency` at the bottom is changing constantly, and is at 45997.4 Hz according to one of the screenshots I took (but haven't added to the post). Doesn't sound right for 48kHz or 44.1kHz unless some kind of maths is applied to it, but can't see that being a particularly steady clock with how the number is constantly moving about.

That's with the `Clock Source` set as `TCO`. If I set it as `Internal`, it stays at 48kHz in the `TCO` pane, but changes on the `RayDAT (1)` pane for the `Input Status` of the `TCO`.

Does the TCO get any input signal to derive the clock from?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Does the TCO get any input signal to derive the clock from?

Does it not get it from the RayDat?

No. And that is not its function. The TCO is used to sync to external LTC or video. No such signal - any shown value is irrelevant.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

No. And that is not its function. The TCO is used to sync to external LTC or video. No such signal - any shown value is irrelevant.

So I can't output wordclock from a RayDat to my convertors via the TCO?

That should work, regardless of the input status. But your converters could also just sync to ADAT.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

That should work, regardless of the input status. But your converters could also just sync to ADAT.

Not all of my convertors are ADAT though—e.g., need to slave a dbx 386 to the same clock as everything else.