1 (edited by garydeanolson 2023-09-04 13:00:57)

Topic: Help Me Daisy Chain Two UFX (win/usb)

Greetings.

I need some help connecting two original RME UFX units together so that, when necessary, all 24 analog inputs could be use to record 24bit/96khz simultaneously.

My understanding is that this can be done by connecting the In's from all ADAT connections to the Out's on the opposite units, and connecting BNC WC Out on the 1st unit (configured as Master) to BNC WC In on 2nd unit with its 75 ohm switch activated. I hope this is correct so far but please feel free to correct me, if you would be so kind.

Otherwise, what happens next is a lot less clear to me.

I have what I believe to be a "fast enough" Win10 PC which I purchased from Sweetwater 5 years ago. They built it specifically for music production with an i5 7400 CPU operating at 3ghz, 16gb ram, and an SSD for OS and programs. DAW is Studio One 6 Pro. In a perfect world, the two units would connect to the PC via a single USB 2 cable and operate from one instance of TotalMix, but I get the impression one or both of those ain't gonna fly.

Either way, what is the most elegant way to set this up?

Much obliged.

Gary Olson

Re: Help Me Daisy Chain Two UFX (win/usb)

Hi
You can do that. But I’m not sure about the channel amount over USB 2.0. Maybe it is necessary to use ADAT instead of MADI. Anyway the second UFX has to be configured first to work properly as a standalone analog to ADAT or MADI converter. Connect it to the computer and do all the needed routings in Totalmix and store it to the interface. Don’t forget the clock / sync settings. Now you have a standalone A-D converter as expansion to the first UFX.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

Hi
You can do that. But I’m not sure about the channel amount over USB 2.0. Maybe it is necessary to use ADAT instead of MADI. Anyway the second UFX has to be configured first to work properly as a standalone analog to ADAT or MADI converter. Connect it to the computer and do all the needed routings in Totalmix and store it to the interface. Don’t forget the clock / sync settings. Now you have a standalone A-D converter as expansion to the first UFX.

YIKES! Sorry, I meant ADAT. Just corrected that.

Can this be configured in TotalMix as a single huge instance?

Totalmix runs on the UFX itself. The app is only to control it over USB. One separate Totalmix window for each unit.
Using the second UFX as described, it’s the same as a standalone AD converter. So you have the Totalmix window for your first UFX, and the signals from the second unit reach the ADAT hardware inputs there. From there you cannot control the second unit.
But: you can leave connected the second unit over USB to the computer. So separate USB connections for each unit and also separate Totalmix windows for each. The first one you would select as audio hardware in your DAW. The second stays connected only for setup access. The ADAT connection would still be the same as before.

Hm for 12 channels at 96khz you need 3 adat ports. Does the ufx have those?
But it is much easier, under windows the 2 ufx show up as one asio device so all 24 channels are available. You do need 2 USB on different ports and get 2 tmfx, one for each ufx. Also you need one digital connection to sync them, but not for audio.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

6 (edited by ramses 2023-09-04 17:13:46)

vinark wrote:

But it is much easier, under windows the 2 ufx show up as one asio device so all 24 channels are available. You do need 2 USB on different ports and get 2 tmfx, one for each ufx. Also you need one digital connection to sync them, but not for audio.

But then routing over DAW across the two instances of recording interface.
Or you need to sacrifice a few ports not only for synchronization but for routing channels between UFX #1 and #2.

Maybe better to work in one instance?! Getting e.g. UFX+ from used market or UFX III ?!

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by garydeanolson 2023-09-04 17:13:49)

oli77sch wrote:

Totalmix runs on the UFX itself. The app is only to control it over USB. One separate Totalmix window for each unit.
Using the second UFX as described, it’s the same as a standalone AD converter. So you have the Totalmix window for your first UFX, and the signals from the second unit reach the ADAT hardware inputs there. From there you cannot control the second unit.
But: you can leave connected the second unit over USB to the computer. So separate USB connections for each unit and also separate Totalmix windows for each. The first one you would select as audio hardware in your DAW. The second stays connected only for setup access. The ADAT connection would still be the same as before.

With all that information going from the 2nd UFX to the 1st, I'd hoped the 1st UFX would carry all the channels to the PC. But, if USB 2.0 isn't capable of 24 channels at 24/96, the 2nd UFX will need to be connected to the PC separately on a separate USB bus. Right?

vinark wrote:

No, there are only two sets of ADAT In's & Out's on each unit, however, at least in the short term, I only need to add 8 channels to the 1st UFX's 12. I'd use channels 1-4 to connect an analog 4-channel mic-pre (Sytek MPX-4Aii) to the TRS inputs on the back, and also use the four xlr inputs on the front of the unit which use channels 9-12. Can this be so configured?

Just as an aside, all of this has me wondering how much better off I'd be with just one UFX plus an 8-channel expansion unit, like the Audient ASP-800. The thing is, I already have the two UFX units (because I was told they could be daisy chained) and would prefer to make those work together. But not if this is an inferior solution to an expansion unit added to a single UFX.

I think that was a rhetorical question, of course the UFX doesn't have 3 ADAT ports.
I would go MADI. Only one unit and possibilities for expansion through MADI, ADAT, AES.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

If you use your second ufx for 8 channels it will work as you want. And it is a little more flexible the a simple 8 channel adat converter cause if needed you can create different routing or submixrs on the second ufx.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

If you use your second ufx for 8 channels it will work as you want. And it is a little more flexible the a simple 8 channel adat converter cause if needed you can create different routing or submixrs on the second ufx.

Thank you. This is very encouraging.

I'll order 4 Toslink cables and a 75 ohm BNC cable and give this a try. If I end up with 20 stable 24/96 channels I'll be sure to come back here and post all of my settings.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

oli77sch wrote:

Hi
You can do that. But I’m not sure about the channel amount over USB 2.0.

About 70 channels (see Madiface USB or Pro).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Hi

How many channels when recording at 24/96?

14 (edited by waedi 2023-09-06 01:48:16)

32 Recording and 32 Playback

Madiface USB user manual page 6

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/madiface_usb_e.pdf

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

RME Support wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Hi

The question was about using 2 UFX, not UFX+, not MADIface USB or Pro, not MADI. And only one UFX connected to USB. 70 channels apply only to the 2 mentioned interfaces, not this case.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
RME Support wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Hi

The question was about using 2 UFX, not UFX+, not MADIface USB or Pro, not MADI. And only one UFX connected to USB. 70 channels apply only to the 2 mentioned interfaces, not this case.

Right. Why this confusion? Answer: OP accidentally wrote about MADI first instead of ADAT (he corrected that later, see post 3). I overlooked the sentence about his original UFX. So my answer in this moment was related to the idea to connect two UFX+ (my fault) over MADI (his fault). Because it was about a USB 2.0 connection, I pointed out the channel amount, not being 100% sure how the reduction would be without consulting the manual.

MC wrote:
RME Support wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Hi

I know. I was just pointing out the channel capacity over USB 2... And that this wouldn't likely be a limiting factor here.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

oli77sch wrote:
MC wrote:
RME Support wrote:

Right. Why this confusion? Answer: OP accidentally wrote about MADI first instead of ADAT (he corrected that later, see post 3). I overlooked the sentence about his original UFX. So my answer in this moment was related to the idea to connect two UFX+ (my fault) over MADI (his fault). Because it was about a USB 2.0 connection, I pointed out the channel amount, not being 100% sure how the reduction would be without consulting the manual.

Definitely my fault. I did write MADI when I meant ADAT and I'm sincerely sorry about that.

Anyone know the most efficient way of connecting two "original UFX I" units together when only 8 channels are needed from the 2nd unit? Or would it be better to sell the 2nd unit and replace it with an expansion unit such as the Audient ASP800? The goal is to record 20 stable channels simultaneously at 24/96.

Gary

garydeanolson wrote:

Definitely my fault. I did write MADI when I meant ADAT and I'm sincerely sorry about that.

Anyone know the most efficient way of connecting two "original UFX I" units together when only 8 channels are needed from the 2nd unit? Or would it be better to sell the 2nd unit and replace it with an expansion unit such as the Audient ASP800? The goal is to record 20 stable channels simultaneously at 24/96.

Gary

No worries, all fine!

For eight (or even ten) additional channels it definitely works with the UFX, even at 96kHz. Two optical cables, both the optical outputs set to ADAT, proper routing in Totalmix and it should be fine. Then you could add two more channels over AES.
If the 'first' UFX should be master, a digital connection from this unit to the 'second' (standalone expansion) unit is needed, either ADAT, or AES or wordclock.

oli77sch wrote:
garydeanolson wrote:

Gary

No worries, all fine!

For eight (or even ten) additional channels it definitely works with the UFX, even at 96kHz. Two optical cables, both the optical outputs set to ADAT, proper routing in Totalmix and it should be fine. Then you could add two more channels over AES.
If the 'first' UFX should be master, a digital connection from this unit to the 'second' (standalone expansion) unit is needed, either ADAT, or AES or wordclock.

I'd planned on a BNC cable for wordclock, but wouldn't I need 4 optical cables for 24/96 audio?

Gary

At 96kHz there are four channels available per cable.

oli77sch wrote:

At 96kHz there are four channels available per cable.

Okay. Thanks!!!!

23 (edited by ramses 2023-09-07 18:58:27)

For working at double speed (88.2/96 kHz) I would choose a MADI based setup.
UFX III as a base gives you already a solid basis of different port types and advanced features.
With MADI you have 32 I/O channels left for connecting Mic Pres and AD/DA converter.

ramses wrote:

For working at double speed (88.2/96 kHz) I would choose a MADI based setup.
UFX III as a base gives you already a solid basis of different port types and advanced features.
With MADI you have 32 I/O channels left for connecting Mic Pres and AD/DA converter.

Remember; we're not talking about the mighty UFX III but rather the old and limping UFX I. Is MADI still best with the decrepit & stinking UFX I??

25 (edited by ramses 2023-09-07 19:33:58)

You told already about selling the 2nd UFX; therefore I thought you are open to other solutions.

BTW .. You only talk about 20 channels but not of which type. Mic channels, analogue channels, inst channels?

The channels that you have directly on the device do not decrease and support all sample rates. So an UFX* is a good basement.

But I am worried about your requirement that you want to work at double speed.

Even with two ADAT I/O ports, you can only connect 8 more ports at double speed if you talk about UFX or UFX II.

Therefore, my advice, if your budget allows, go MADI. Sell the two UFX and get UFX III or a used UFX+.

It would be good to know, what type of channels you need and how many to see, what additional devices would be needed no matter if MADI based solution or not.

ramses wrote:

You told already about selling the 2nd UFX; therefore I thought you are open to other solutions.

BTW .. You only talk about 20 channels but not of which type. Mic channels, analogue channels, inst channels?

The channels that you have directly on the device do not decrease and support all sample rates. So an UFX* is a good basement.

But I am worried about your requirement that you want to work at double speed.

Even with two ADAT I/O ports, you can only connect 8 more ports at double speed if you talk about UFX or UFX II.

Therefore, my advice, if your budget allows, go MADI. Sell the two UFX and get UFX III or a used UFX+.

It would be good to know, what type of channels you need and how many to see, what additional devices would be needed no matter if MADI based solution or not.

20 audio channels. Looking to record LIVE bands.  Thanks!!!!

27 (edited by ramses 2023-09-08 08:15:34)

You still are not telling what types of channels you mean / need. There are different possibilities to record a live band.

1. Either you want to connect mics directly to the recording interface or an additionally connected mic preamp (via ADAT, MADI).

2. It could also be the case that you have a live mixer, where everything is connected to, and you are using its analogue cue out ports to record the signal from the live mixers inputs.

3. EDIT: or to connect other preamps, like in your case, which needs analog inputs (balanced). Although a Mic preamps could also be used as analog line input, the cost is higher, then better an AD converter where you get a higher port density.

Again the question, how many ports of which port-type do you require?
Do you only require analogue I/O or real Mic inputs with integrated Mic preamp? Or a mix of both.

ramses wrote:

You still are not telling what types of channels you mean / need. There are different possibilities to record a live band.

1. Either you want to connect mics directly to the recording interface or an additionally connected mic preamp (via ADAT, MADI).

2. It could also be the case that you have a live mixer, where everything is connected to, and you are using its analogue cue out ports to record the signal from the live mixers inputs.

Again the question, how many ports of which port-type do you require?
Do you only require analogue I/O or real Mic inputs with integrated Mic preamp? Or a mix of both.

All cards on the table (I hope)

1. It’s all xlr microphones plus 3-4 di’s (keys & bass). I plan to use the xlr inputs on the front of both UFX units plus 12 additional xlr mic inputs via outboard mic preamps. On the main UFX, I’ll connect two Sytek MPX4Aii 4-channel mic preamps via their xlr OUT to ¼” TRS IN on the back of the UFX, and on the 2nd UFX, I’ll connect a Neve 5024 4-channel preamp in the same manner as the 1st. 8 onboard mic inputs plus 12 outboard = 20 which is all I need.   

2. No live mixer. We’re recording our rehearsals as well as some dedicated recording sessions. At first, I used my Soundcraft digital mixer (Ui24R) to record rehearsals, and they sounded better than anyone anticipated. Then, just before we were to go into the studio to record our next rehease, COVID hit. At first, that derailed us, until someone suggested our rehearsal space had a good sound, and just like that I was then tasked with recording the tracks for our next release. That’s why I purchased the 1st UFX. But now my old band from the 80’s is starting to perform live again, and rehearsals are in the same space. I want the ability to record those rehearsals LIVE for possible release later.

All analog.

In the spirit of “All Cards” here’s a completely live recording of my current band rehearsing a song called Lonely, recorded at 44.1khz on the Soundcraft Ui24R. No overdubs.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=425138201871576

Gary

29 (edited by ramses 2023-09-08 08:16:34)

2x Sytek MPX4Aii 4-channel mic preamps = 8x analog inputs, balanced (XLR to TRS cable)
1x Neve 5024 4-channel preamp = 4x analog inputs, balanced (XLR to TRS cable)
=> 12x analog I/O, balanced
8x Mic Inputs from UFX being used as microphone inputs, maybe a few of them as instrument input (TS) for bass or as analog input for keyboard.

The most cost efficient method is to use the two UFX, both connected via USB. You can use the two ADAT ports to create a cross connect to route 8 channels between the UFX and to distribute clock. You need to take care that both recording interfaces always use the same ASIO buffersize.

The advantage of this setup is, that with one ASIO driver you can access both devices and also the latency compensation will work fine because the two units are using the same AD/DA converters with the same converter latency.

You can use two TM FX instances and place them on screen as you prefer or use one instance and select the 1st or 2nd UFX.

+-USB2---RME UFX#1-------4x Mic Inputs Front (1 as Instrument input (Hi-Z) for bass)
     |               ||         ||            8x Analog IN (TRS) for connecting Mic Preamps (2x Sytek MPX4Aii 4-ch)
PC+               || ADAT||            8x Analog Out free
     |               ||         ||
     +-USB2---RME UFX#2-------4x Mic Inputs Front
                                               4x Analog IN (TRS) for connecting Mic Preamps (1x  Neve 5024, 4_ch)
                                               2x Analog IN for keyboard
                                               2x Analog IN free
                                               8x Analog Out free

The two UFX require only 2-3 rack units.
I would choose 3 so that you have better airflow in a passive cooled case of 23 cm depth.

You can route all channels using the DAW (with the usual RTL), you need the cross connect via 2x ADAT ports (IN and OUT) to be able to route up to 8 channels at double speed if you need up to 8 channels from one device for submixes on the other devices. And for clock distribution to avoid an additional WC cable.

A MADI-based solution would be a bigger invest (cross financed by selling UFX) but more flexibilities
- any to any routing in one TM FX instance
- port reserves (also honouring double speed requirement)
- possibilities for further expansions

PC
|
| USB3
|
UFX III-----------------4x Mic Inputs Front (1 as Instrument input (Hi-Z) for bass)
|                               2x Analog IN for keyboard
| MADI                      6x Analog IN free for future demands
| (up to 2km)            8x Analog Out free
|
M-1610 Pro-----------4x Analog IN (TRS) for connecting Mic Preamp (Sytek MPX4Aii 4-ch)
                                4x Analog IN (TRS) for connecting Mic Preamp (Sytek MPX4Aii 4-ch)
                                4x Analog IN (TRS) for connecting Mic Preamp (1x Neve 5024, 4-ch)
                                4x Analog IN free

Clock synch through MADI.

Also two rack units, for better airflow better three, with the possibility to add either an additional M-1610 Pro for even more external preamps or an 12Mic to get 12 very nice transparent Mic inputs.

I only want to mention that MADI is the perfect multi-core to maybe place the M-1610 Pro closer to or on stage.
The MADI optical multimode fiber cable can be up to 2km long between each of the units, that you connect to MADI in a serial fashion ("from device to device").

PC with UFX III-------------------------------MADI----------------------M-1610 Pro on stage

The flexibility in length for a MADI cable might be an additional benefit for device placement and then maybe shorter cables between M-1610 on stage, preamps and Mics. You can get MADI patch cables of different length and which are not expensive. I would use the more modern OM4 cables which are sometimes even cheaper or have better availability compared to OM3 cables.

Additional advantage of the UFX III based solution with only one recording interface:
you can use DURec as backup recording and catch all relevant channels and have them together in one DURec file.
This would also be an advantage in terms of handling.

ramses wrote:

2x Sytek MPX4Aii 4-channel mic preamps = 8x analog inputs, balanced (XLR to TRS cable)
1x Neve 5024 4-channel preamp = 4x analog inputs, balanced (XLR to TRS cable)
=> 12x analog I/O, balanced...

Thank you! Lots to digest. I love your M-1610 Pro solution and would be all over that if this was a for-profit enterprise.

Since all of this is to record my two bands with possibly an occasional album release, a lean investment is more appropriate. It was in that spirit I'd mentioned the possibility of replacing one of the UFX units (which sell for $1100-$1200 in my neck of the woods) with an Audient ASP-800 ($800 + tax brand new) though you can be assured I'll DREAM of your M-1610 Pro solution for a good long time.

Three final questions:

1. Per your above ADAT diagram, a pair of optical cables are required to connect the two OUT's on UFX unit ONE to the two IN's on UFX unit TWO; plus another pair of optical cables to connect the two OUT's on UFX unit TWO to the two IN's on UFX unit ONE. Four optical cables in all. Is this correct?

2. The optical connections described above solve wordclock sync, so NO BNC cable is required. Is this correct?

3. You wrote "You can use two TM FX instances and place them on screen as you prefer or use one instance and select the 1st or 2nd UFX." Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems to me that controlling both UFX units in a single TM FX instance would be the most elegant and preferable choice. If you agree, would you kindly tell me how this can be configured?

Gary

31 (edited by ramses 2023-09-08 13:33:13)

to 1)

clock master                                                                                                clock slave
clock source "internal"                                                                                 clock source ADAT1

PC
   +-----------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
   |                                                                                                                    |
  USB2                                                                                                            USB2
   |                                                                                                                    |
UFX#1-----ADAT1---OUT--------------------------------------------->IN---ADAT1---UFX#2
UFX#1-----ADAT1---IN<---------------------------------------------OUT---ADAT1---UFX#2
UFX#1-----ADAT2---OUT--------------------------------------------->IN---ADAT2---UFX#2
UFX#1-----ADAT2---IN<---------------------------------------------OUT---ADAT2---UFX#2

So you need 4x TOSLINK cable which can be up to 10m long according to standards.
With RME TOSLINKs usually also 15m  work well up to 192 kHz.

to 2)

Correct, clock via ADAT. No Wordclock needed.

to 3)

If you have a small screen use one TM FX window and select the UFX#1 or UFX#2 as you need.
In the upper right corner there is a pulldown menue to select the recording interface if multiple interfaces by same or different ASIO driver are being detected. At times I had three interfaces in use 2x UFX and 1x RayDAT.

Sometimes it gives a better overview to place more than one TM FX window on the screen.
Then you can see / operate the most important channels by looking at the screen without having to switch.

See this screenshot of my Blog from a review about HDSPe MADI FX card and a connected UFX+. Left TM FX instance is the HDSPe MADI FX, Right TM FX instance is the UFX+ where DURec is being used for backup recording, as the HDSPe MADI FX doesn't support DURec:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2364-05-totalmixfx-jpg/

ramses wrote:

to 1)

clock master                                                                                                clock slave
clock source "internal"                                                                                 clock source ADAT1
                                                                      PC
   +-----------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
  USB2                                                                                                            USB2
UFX#1-----ADAT1---OUT--------------------------------------------->IN---ADAT1---UFX#2
UFX#1-----ADAT1---IN<---------------------------------------------OUT---ADAT1---UFX#2
UFX#1-----ADAT2---OUT--------------------------------------------->IN---ADAT2---UFX#2
UFX#1-----ADAT2---IN<---------------------------------------------OUT---ADAT2---UFX#2

OUTSTANDING, ramses!!! Problem SOLVED! I'll get the cables and report back.

Thank you and everyone else who gave input!

Gary

33 (edited by garydeanolson 2023-09-09 17:31:45)

ramses wrote:

to 1)

PC

Already pulled the trigger on the cables, but before going any further down this road I should at least consider replacing the whole rack (preamps and all, though I'd keep microphones, mic cables, and mic stand) with more suitable gear. With that in mind, here's what I hope will be my last question:

Assuming the sale yields $6000-$6500; if YOU had that much to spend in a rig built completely from scratch with the single purpose of recording your own live band which requires 20 simultaneous audio recording channels at 24/96 using 16 microphones (somehow connected via xlr) plus another 4 channels of direct input from keys and/or bass - all to be connected to a PC-based DAW via USB, what would end up in your rack?

34 (edited by ramses 2023-09-09 19:56:48)

I would use equipment that gives me the best value for the greatest sustainability of purchase and the greatest flexibility for future expansion.

UFX III with M-1610 Pro and ARC USB = $2444 + $2333 + 144 = $4921

Optional: including ADI-2 Pro FS R BE $1539 (for studio work) $4921 + 1539 = $6460

PC---USB---ARC USB
|
| USB3 (optional: dedicated USB3 PCIe card with FL1100 chip)
|
|      +---------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE----AN1/2---Active Monitors
|      |                                         \----AN3/4---Headphones
|      | AES, ADAT or SPDIF
|      |
|      +
UFX III---------------4x Mic Inputs Front (1 as Instrument input (Hi-Z) for bass)
|
M-1610 Pro---------4x Analog IN (TRS) for connecting Mic Preamp (Sytek MPX4Aii 4-ch)
                                4x Analog IN free

ramses wrote:

I would use equipment that gives me the best value for the greatest sustainability of purchase and the greatest flexibility for future expansion.

Optional: including ADI-2 Pro FS R BE $1539 (for studio work) $4921 + 1539 = $6460

PC---USB---ARC USB
|
|
|      |
|      +
UFX III---------------4x Mic Inputs Front (1 as Instrument input (Hi-Z) for bass)
|
M-1610 Pro---------4x Analog IN (TRS) for connecting Mic Preamp (Sytek MPX4Aii 4-ch)
                                4x Analog IN free

I'm going to sink my teeth into your proposal and give it serious consideration. Thanks a million, ramses!

Gary

garydeanolson wrote:
ramses wrote:

PC---USB---ARC USB
|
|
|      |
|      +
|
                                4x Analog IN free

I'm going to sink my teeth into your proposal and give it serious consideration. Thanks a million, ramses!

Gary

Hello ramses.

I just noticed you included my preamps in your configuration, but in this scenario those are history as they'd have to be sold to fund the new rig. The Neve alone would be funding almost half of it (about $3000) and the Sytek's account for another $650-$700 each. I'd only be keeping mics, mic cables, mic stands; and I'd also be keeping my PC for music production, studio monitors, and phones.

Is it even possible to put together an improved system at this budget?

Gary

37 (edited by ramses 2023-09-10 11:14:49)

Ok I was not sure whether you want to keep or not and assumed keep.

Are you aware of, that the RME Mic Pres are of high quality and are working "transparent"?
Which means they capture the sound of the Mics in high quality "as is", but are not adding any Mojo or character to the sound.
Some people buy separate preamps and want to get a certain preamp sound additionally.
I, personally, prefer (like many other using RME products), that nothing becomes modified and to capture the original sound from the musicians and the mic being used.

Before you sell your old gear you should check, whether you like the results.

I think it would be best to contact a good seller and align with him to test drive UFX III, 12Mic and M-1610 Pro.
Then you can connect and test your Mics with the old preamps and with the UFX III and 12Mic.

A 12Mic based environment would look very similar:

PC---USB---ARC USB
|
|
|      |
|      +
UFX III---------4x Mic Inputs in the front
|                               1x DI-Box for Bass
|
12mic---------12x Mics

In total 4+12=16 Mic inputs // 2x Analog in for keyboards // 1x Analog In with DI-Box for Bass = 19 Ports

Maybe 1 Mic port missing in this solution?

Solution: You could add a 4-Port Mic Preamp to the UFX III still .. see below (++)

PC---USB---ARC USB
|
|
|      |
|      +
UFX III---------3x Mic Inputs in the front
|                               1x Mic Input as Inst/Hi-Z for Bass
|                               4x Analog IN for Mic Preamp ++)
| MADI                      2x Analog IN free for future demands
|
12mic---------12x Mics

In total 3+4+12=19 Mic inputs // 2x Analog in for keyboards // 1x Mic input as Inst/Hi-Z for Bass = 22 Ports in total
Seems that we have now a few more mic inputs compared to your actual demand of 20 analog ports in total.

The Test installation would look like this

With this setup you can compare dedicated preamps vs RME solution.
The preamps of UFX III and 12Mic are very similar, but if you are getting 12Mic and M-1610 Pro,
then you can better decide which setup to keep and then you have only to send one device back and get money back.
But then you know exactly what you like most.

UFX III with M-1610 Pro, 12Mic and ARC USB = $2444 + $2333 + $2333 + $144 = $7254

Optional: including ADI-2 Pro FS R BE $1539 (for studio work) $7254 + 1539 = $8793

PC---USB---ARC USB
|
|
|      |
|      +
UFX III------------------4x Mic Inputs Front (1 as Instrument input (Hi-Z) for bass)
|     |                           8x Analog IN and OUT
|     |                           2x Phones Out
|     |
|     + M-1610 Pro----16x Analog IN
|     |                           10x Analog OUT
^    |
|     + 12Mic------------12x Mic In (1-4 also useable as Inst/Hi-Z input)
|     |                           1x Phones output
|     MADI (*)
|     |
+---+

(*) MADI with OM4 multimode fibre
You see that the MADI devices are chained serial "one after the other". According to the standard, up to 2 km between each of the devices is allowed, patch cables are available from around 0.2m up to 60m).

Clock Master = UFX III, MADI devices are getting clock synchronized through MADI

Remote Control - RME COnnector

12Mic can be remote controlled through MADI (using RMEs "MIDI over MADI" feature)
by the RME Connector application, see screenshot below (in my setup together with Octamic XTC)
It's very nice to be able to store a few setups and to be able to reactivate them with by only one mouse click.
No additional MIDI cabling required, all remote control commands are being sent through the MADI cable using some unused bits in the MADI protocol header.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/3036-05-rme-connector-2-0-0b15-jpg/

A few pictures of my setup you can see in this blog article.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … iii-en-de/

A few recording examples:

Here an overdub recording (mix of tube mic and SM57), my guitar on the right side.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … orrow-mp3/
(from this blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … DURec-DE/)

Here an example of how a Gibson L5-CES sounds when plugged in straight into the Inst (Hi-Z) input of UFX+ (now UFX III).
No amp VST in use, pure guitar:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … -320b-mp3/
(from this blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … Ie-EN-DE/)

For the MADI cabling

Do not forget to order an SFP for 12Mic and M-1610 Pro (in total two)
https://www.rme-audio.de/de_sfp-module.html

Reason for RME using SFPs in some products, you as customer can decide, whether you want multimode (the default). In rare cases customer needed even longer cabling up to 10 km, then single mode could only be delivered by a special order. With the SFPs you can use multi-mode or single-mode as you need by simply replacing the SFP module.

For connecting the devices you need different types of Multi-Mode cables, because the devices use different plugs.
UFX III uses the larger SC connectors
12Mic and M-1610 use SFPs which need LC connectors

With the following two duplex cables you can create the necessary connections
https://www.cablesandkits.com/mc/fiber/ … /fp-11302/
https://www.cablesandkits.com/mc/fiber/ … /fp-10080/

UFX III--SC-----OM4-----LC--M-1610 Pro--LC-----OM4-----LC--12Mic--LC-----OM4-----SC--UFX III
Cables:           SC/LC                                         LC/LC                                LC/SC
                          #1                                              #2                                     #3

Recommendation: I would order spare cables to be on the safe side and one SFP, just in case one becomes damaged.

Careful with cheaper 3rd party SFPs, you need to look very closely that they support the same wavelength and have no special firmware for special devices. I didn't look closely and ordered the wrong one as well, shit happens wink

ramses wrote:

Ok I was not sure whether you want to keep or not and assumed keep.

Are you aware of, that the RME Mic Pres are of high quality and are working "transparent"?
Which means they capture the sound of the Mics in high quality "as is", but are not adding any Mojo or character to the sound.
Some people buy separate preamps and want to get a certain preamp sound additionally....

I can’t thank you enough for all the amazing information you’ve so generously given.

I fully agree with your philosophy of clean preamps. Mojo can be added later as desired but never backed out. In fact, I chose the Sytek preamps because they're pristine. I find the sound of the mic preamps on the front of my RME UFX very similar. Plus, I trust RME and am thoroughly convinced their products are designed purely to solve our problems. You don’t see them endeavoring to maximize profits by adding unnecessary features designed to impress inexperienced buyers who count the number of boxes they can tic. I happened to be one of those inexperienced buyers, which gives me a great appreciation for RME!

After reading though your post plus much or your blog (really enjoyed your work on the guitar) it occurred to me that I’d have the 20 channels I need from just one UFX with my two Sytek mic preamps and an OctiMic XTC. The only question is, WHICH version UFX do I need?

OPTION ONE
If the OctiMic XTC can work seamlessly with one of my original UFX units, my cost (after selling the Neve and one UFX I) just dropped to negative $1100!

OPTION TWO
Still, if a UFX II is required, my cost (after selling) would only be $45, or

OPTION THREE
If a UFXIII is required, still my cost would be only $480.

Do you see a way this can work with one of my original UFX units, or do I need to upgrade to a II? or III?

Thoughts?

Gary

There were many improvements between UFX and UFX+/II, and additional between UFX+/II and UFX III.
I would recommend getting the UFX III with MADI if you can afford.

The differences are summarized in these two blog articles:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Entry/68-RME-UFX/

I also compiled an Excel Sheet containing a lot of information from manuals, forum, etc ... supports comparing interfaces.
See this sticky article: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156

ramses wrote:

There were many improvements between UFX and UFX+/II, and additional between UFX+/II and UFX III.
I would recommend getting the UFX III with MADI if you can afford.

The differences are summarized in these two blog articles:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Entry/68-RME-UFX/

I also compiled an Excel Sheet containing a lot of information from manuals, forum, etc ... supports comparing interfaces.
See this sticky article: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156

UFXiii it is, with two 4-channel Sytek mic preamps connected via the 8 rear trs inputs, and an RME OctoMic XTC connected via MADI. Done, and for just $480! Better performance and loads of expansion potential to boot!

Can you confirm this would all be controlled from a single instance of TM FX? If so, this is definitely my solution.

Gary

41 (edited by ramses 2023-09-10 22:29:52)

Confirmed, this will be a nice setup that gives you another two nice headphone outputs of good quality.
You can configure the TM FX control room (Assign button) that Phones 1+2 are from the UFX III and Phones 3+4 are from the XTC.

For an easy setup, automatic assignment of a MADI ID and routing of channels I recommend that you use Auto-CA which included the automatic assignment of MADI ID (here "1) and then the routing of MADI channels is automatically provided, you will use MADI 1-8 for the device with the MADI ID 1.

When using an Octamic XTC via MADI, then you can configure it as a so called Auxdevice.

This means that the most important preamp settings can be remote controlled by TotalMix FX and these settings can be stored in TM FX snapshots and workspaces.

See this blog article, my 1st MADI setup with UFX+ and two Octamic XTC: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … cber-MADI/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/1773-ufx-und-octamic-xtc-bild-1-front-jpg/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/1774-ufx-und-octamic-xtc-bild-2-rear-madi-cabling-jpg/

Here you can see in the top row how nicely the Octamic XTC integrates into TM FX as Auxdevice like a channel strip.
You can see on the channel what you can remotely control:
- mono/stereo
- 48V Phantom Power
- PAD for the first 4 channels and Inst for the last 4 channels
- Gain
- Autoset

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/1775-ufx-und-octamic-xtc-bild-3-totalmix-fx-jpg/

ramses wrote:

Confirmed, this will be a nice setup that gives you another two nice headphone outputs of good quality.
You can configure the TM FX control room (Assign button) that Phones 1+2 are from the UFX III and Phones 3+4 are from the XTC....

Thank you!

Gary

You're welcome Gary.

44 (edited by ramses 2023-09-11 19:11:14)

BTW Gary, if you are getting UFX III and Octamic XTC, then you need only an OM4 SC/SC duplex cable, no SFP needed.

0,5m or more if needed like this
https://www.kabelscheune.de/LWL-Kabel-L … 0-5-m.html

ramses wrote:

BTW Gary, if you are getting UFX III and Octamic XTC, then you need only an OM4 SC/SC duplex cable, no SFP needed.

I really appreciate the follow up, ramses. And sincerely, thanks a million for all your help.

ramses wrote:

My band from the 80's will be here this Thursday and it seems I'm ready to attempt recording 20 simultaneous channel at 24/96 with my two original UFX units, and with monitoring, thanks to the brilliant design of Total Mix Effects!!!!!!

For posterity...

The two original UFX units are connected to each other via their ADAT in's and out's.

Both are connected to the PC independently via their USB outputs.

UFX ONE is configured as Master Clock, UFX TWO clock is set to ADAT 1, and both UFX units are set to an identical buffer size.

Routing is configured "in the DAW" (Studio One 6 Pro).

The Neve 5024 and the first Sytek MPX4Aii (of which both are 4-channel Mic Preamps) are connected to Inputs 1-8 of the DAW (respectively) via the TRS inputs 1-8 on the back of UFX ONE.

DAW Inputs 9-12 are routed to the four Mic Inputs on the front of UFX ONE.

My second Sytek MPX4Aii 4-channel Mic Preamp is connected to TRS inputs 1-4 on the back of UFX TWO and routed to DAW Inputs 13-16.

The four Mic inputs on the front of UFX TWO are routed to DAW Inputs 17-20.

I plugged a mic into each of the inputs as configured above, and all channels/inputs seemed to work perfectly.

I have four 12-foot cables arriving tomorrow with male 1/4" TRS on one end and Male XLR on the other end. I plan to connect the male TRS end of these cables to the TRS outputs 1-4 on the back of UFX ONE, and the other end to our four powered monitor speakers for four separate monitor mixes. Total Mix Effects is awesome, and I do not plan to encounter any issues (well... end user problems are always possible and even likely lol).

All that remains is attempting 20 channels of simultaneous recording at 24/96.

I'll be sure to come back after attempting this to update my progress.

Again, a huge THANK YOU! to all who helped.

Gary

Remember if your computer fails at the 96khz, there is no real loss recording at 44 or 48khz.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Hi Gary
Nice setup!
Out of curiosity, may I ask you, do you have the second UFX as standalone unit now, with analog inputs routed to the ADAT out channels going to the first UFX? If so, you could add two further channels over AES/EBU to reach 22 channels in Total at 96kHz.

vinark wrote:

Remember if your computer fails at the 96khz, there is no real loss recording at 44 or 48khz.

I know, especially since it will be a LIVE recording with bleed everywhere. Just hoping to squeeze every drop of goodness from this band, but definitely prepared to flip the 24/48 switch. Thanks!

oli77sch wrote:

Hi Gary
Nice setup!
Out of curiosity, may I ask you, do you have the second UFX as standalone unit now, with analog inputs routed to the ADAT out channels going to the first UFX? If so, you could add two further channels over AES/EBU to reach 22 channels in Total at 96kHz.

Its clock is set to ADAT1 but no special routing at all until the signal reaches the DAW.

Thanks for the AES/EBU suggestion. And don't forget there's another 4 available channels on UFX TWO just by connecting another 4 mic preamps to its rear analog TRS inputs 5-8 bringing channel count up to 24. But really, 20 is enough for my purposes (stereo keys + bass keyboard, a 57 and VR1 on the guitar cab + Suhr box, 4 vocal mics, and 2 room mics leaves 8 channels to mic my 5-piece drum kit).