Topic: set SRC on or off? - UCX II + ADI-2 PRO FS R

I have a Fireface UXC II and ADI-2 PRO FS R. The optical SPDIF out of UXC II is going into the optical SPDIF input of the ADI-2 Pro (as described in RME's setup video). I am only using the ADI-2 as a DAC and for digital routing (i.e. I'm not using its ADC functionality). The UXC II is set to be clock master ('Internal' clock source).

My question: Should I set SRC on the Adi-2 Pro FS to ON or OFF over its optical SPDIF input?

My understanding is that having SRC on will dump the incoming clock information and reclock it, while having SRC off will mean ADI-2 attempts to sync itself to the incoming SPDIF signal's clock information.

Both options work, but which should be preferred?

Re: set SRC on or off? - UCX II + ADI-2 PRO FS R

If the UCX is clock master, you need to configure the ADI-2 Pro as clock slave (clock source = optical).

The sample rate converter is there, if you need to connect other devices with a fix/different sample rate which is unequal to the sample rate of the clock master.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks - that is very clear. I’ll keep SRC off unless I need it.

Digital filters work better at higher sample rates. I use it regulary for 44,1/48 sampled files. I think its a cool and useful feature. My Clarity M only takes 96khz so it finds a use there too. I have the same setup as you UCXII and ADI-2 pro. Read chap 8.6 in the manual. You can just leave it on, or not.

I learned something new the other day. With UCXII feeding ADI-2 pro you set sample rate on the device. With both connected with USB I had to change SR in the driver app. I only ever connected it via AES or spdif from UCXII yikes Only USB for updates

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Happy_amateur wrote:

Digital filters work better at higher sample rates. I use it regulary for 44,1/48 sampled files. I think its a cool and useful feature.

The upsampling chip uses it‘s own anti-aliasing digital filter on the incoming sample rate.
So with upsampling you can‘t avoid DA filtering in the audible band.

When running in native sample rate you have the choice to select the ADI-2 DA-filter that suits the music and your taste.

Nevertheless I find it usefull, and transparent enough. No need to worry about the ghost in the machine here..

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

7 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-10 11:44:09)

Happy_amateur wrote:

Nevertheless I find it usefull, and transparent enough. ...

To me too, the SRC sounds quite good, on par with the DA-filters, and better then the standard “Sharp” filter that I dislike, kind of.

If you like to go one step further, try offline upsampling.
As offline doesn‘t have any time/latency constraints, it can use much longer filter-coefficients, which can lead to even better results.

The differences are subtle, but nevertheless...

A lot of so called Hi-Res stuff in streaming is simply upsampled, visible if the spectrum content doesn’t reach above ~22 kHz.

KaiS wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

Nevertheless I find it usefull, and transparent enough. ...

To me too, the SRC sounds quite good, on par with the DA-filters, and better then the standard “Sharp” filter that I dislike, kind of.

If you like to go one step further, try offline upsampling.
As offline doesn‘t have any time/latency constraints, it can use much longer filter-coefficients, which can lead to even better results.

The differences are subtle, but nevertheless...

A lot of so called Hi-Res stuff in streaming is simply upsampled, visible if the spectrum content doesn’t reach above ~22 kHz.

Offline is a ++upsampled music file and inline is  RT upsamling? I did some experimenting with upsampled wavs. I always feel, and I emphasize feel, 192khz is better sounding than 44.1. I dont know if there is any real basis for this. I just used JRiver and foobar, nothing spesialized like HQplayer. It makes for hefty files though. Playing analog records through ADI-2 pro is always 192khz. I think you have to point me in a direction here KaiS.

9 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-10 20:25:55)

I do use 192 kHz for analog feed-through too, like vinyl on the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.
The high SR has no negative aspects, so why not.

For offline resampling (= creation of a new audio file) I’d say 88.2 kHz / 24 bit is sufficient for the full positive effect.
This is just 3 times CD file size, manageable with storage these days.
192 kHz / 32 bit is almost 9 times CD, so ...

Realtime resampling, like the built in hardware SRC, is comparable to what the DA chip does internally anyway, just another filter color more or less.
If you like the sound, go for it, but even consider selecting the DA-Filter that suits your taste, instead.

Once I’m above 48 kHz the DA-Filter doesn’t matter any more, at least I can’t discern any audible differences between the filters.
That’s why I think higher than 88.2 kHz doesn’t improve anything more.

But not to forget, to up the SR there‘s always a filter on the base sample rate in the game, so don‘t expect wonders.

Thnx kaiS! Something of a no win situation. Im not gonna triple my music HD footprint, but its okay for experiments and some favourite tracks. I forgot to mention R8brain upsampler a free program I used. And I also found a nice comparator for upsamplers: https://src.infinitewave.ca/

11 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-11 09:28:15)

Happy_amateur wrote:

Thnx kaiS! Something of a no win situation. Im not gonna triple my music HD footprint, but its okay for experiments and some favourite tracks. I forgot to mention R8brain upsampler a free program I used. And I also found a nice comparator for upsamplers: https://src.infinitewave.ca/

I’m using r8brain quite often, mainly to align the slightly different sample rates of cameras and audio recorders in video productions, when SMPTE timecode on location wasn’t an option.