Topic: ADI-2 DAC "Matrix" implementation?

Hi @ll,

using the ADI-2 DAC for years now, and not at all planning on moving on from it, I was wondering if it would be possible to implement something like the "Matrix" to simulate speakers via headphones, as found in some of SPL's Phonitor headphone amps?

After listening to the ADI-2's output via a loaned Phonitor X, I am very much hooked to what that can do, but it's hard to spend that amount of monehs just for this feature.

So - would the RME/its FPGA be capable of simulating that? Or could there be a software-side solution, implementet in the ADI-2 Remote, maybe? And, more importantly: Would the Great Bavarian Wizards smile be willing to implement this?

Thanks and best regards to my southern neighbours,

- Michael

Happily using two ADI-2 DACs to enjoy the best thing in life. ^^

Re: ADI-2 DAC "Matrix" implementation?

You seem to have completely missed the Crossfeed feature?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Indeen I have not, and I'm using that on a regular basis, actually.

Still, that "Matrix" on the Phonitor provides different results, how shall I put it - more fine-grained? And, like I mentioned, it can sound rather different.

Happily using two ADI-2 DACs to enjoy the best thing in life. ^^

4 (edited by IdleTalk 2023-12-20 21:16:33)

I agree with the point of OP, although the term "Matrix" may be something proprietary of SPL's.

The ADI-2 DAC manual states that the crossfeed effect is mainly defined by the filter frequency and the amount of crossfeed.

1: 650 Hz, -13.5 dB (just a touch)
   2: 650 Hz, -9.5 dB (Jan Meier emulation)
   3: 700 Hz, -6 dB (Chu Moy emulation)
   4: 700 Hz, -4.5 dB (30° 3 meter emulation)
   5: 700 Hz, -3 dB (example how even stronger would sound)
   (from manual page 15, "8.6 Crossfeed")

One important factor seems to be omitted: time delay between two ears.

I want to be able to change these three factors:
1) filter frequency
2) amount of crossfeed (& Q-value for filter slope)
3) time delay between L/R.

And also want to save my preferences into custom presets, just like how we do with PEQ.
Only being able to choose from 5 factory presets is very very boring, especially in comparison to what SPL phonitor offers.