1 (edited by theoberdri 2023-09-12 09:47:07)

Topic: Recording pre amp with ADI 2 PRO

Hello everyone,

I've just ordered an ADI 2 PRO FS but I think I made a mistake.

I'm a guitarist and I use a Fractal Audio AXE FX III as amp/FP modeling and I'm recording it for my song.

If my AXE FX XLRs out goes into the analog inputs of my ADI 2 PRO can I listen to it in Logic Pro ? FYI my speakers will be connected to ADI 2 Pro outputs.

Also, can I like use and record some VST (piano, drums...) and listening to it ?

I know ADI 2 PRO FS isn't an audio interface but I saw people using it for recording some don't so it makes me anxious...

Regards
Théo

2 (edited by waedi 2023-09-12 10:53:06)

Re: Recording pre amp with ADI 2 PRO

You will have to set the ADI in multichannel CC-mode.
Logic output channels 1/2 will play thru the loudspeakers.
If you want a different signal on the headphones (output channels 3/4) then the routing in Logic will be a bit more complex, but possible.
From what you wrote a UFX lll or a UCX ll would fit better.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

You will have to set the ADI in multichannel CC-mode.
Logic output channels 1/2 will play thru the loudspeakers.
If you want a different signal on the headphones (output channels 3/4) then the routing in Logic will be a bit more complex, but possible.
From what you wrote a UFX lll or a UCX ll would fit better.

Yes my goal is just to listen to my AXE FX through the ADI PRO that goes into the speakers with a strict minimum latency. I don't use any headphone while playing or recording.
I can record/listen both ADI 2 PRO input at the same time right ?

4 (edited by waedi 2023-09-12 14:07:21)

Yes, from what I understand out of the user manual this basic audio interface functionality is available via CC-mode.
Just connect the USB cable to the computer

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Yes, from what I understand out of the user manual this basic audio interface functionality is available via CC-mode.
Just connect the USB cable to the computer

Perfect, thanks ! I will dive into the manual so that I can set everything correctly. Have a nice day

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-12 18:37:55)

theoberdri wrote:

...my goal is just to listen to my AXE FX through the ADI PRO that goes into the speakers with a strict minimum latency. I don't use any headphone while playing or recording.
I can record/listen both ADI 2 PRO input at the same time right ?

Yes.
For multichannel overdub - listing to your tracks and your guitar at the same time - you need to use the software mixing in Logic Pro.
This means there will be some latency, how much depends on your system and your system settings.
Can be quite low.

I suggest to test it and check how low you can set the various buffers.

Don’t overdo it.
To give you some relation: if you sit 3 ft from your speakers, the sound’s air travel alone causes 3 ms latency, so...