1 (edited by ilorenci 2023-09-12 23:09:31)

Topic: Weird difference between ADI 2 FS and ADI 2 FS DAC

I have an older ADI 2 FS DAC with AKM 4493 and brand new (two months old) ADI 2 FS Silverface. I do not know which chip is in Silverface, but I do know that it sounds better than DAC Blackface. It has much more detail and phase precision than DAC version. 

I had interesting direct comparing recently. A thunder burned my old DAC, so, I connected Silverface to my network player. Everything was fine, except RME played much, much better than my old DAC. So I decided to buy the DAC Blackface to replace my old DAC. I found one used with AKM 4493 chip. When I connected it to optical output of my network player, the DAC refused to give any sound out and to recognise optical input. Returned Silverface - everything worked. Tried Blackface with another source - everything was normal. So, only thing what could be wrong was the optical cable. Replaced it and Blackface started to work normally. So, where are differencies between them so Silverface worked with a damaged cable without a problem, but Blackface DAC refused to work?

Interesting, when I connected Silverface optical output, input being connected to damaged cable, to Blackface - everything worked. So it seems some jitter problem, but why Silverface worked and Blackface refused to work?

Re: Weird difference between ADI 2 FS and ADI 2 FS DAC

For any valid comparison you must fully reset the ADI-2 DAC first. You got it used and might have settings changed from default. Even a firmware update might be helpful.

A broken optical cable where one unit works and the other not - that might just be random luck with one unit. Did you check the Status Overview screen to get details on the SPDIF input signal? It should at least recognize that the cable is plugged in.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

For any valid comparison you must fully reset the ADI-2 DAC first. You got it used and might have settings changed from default. Even a firmware update might be helpful.

A broken optical cable where one unit works and the other not - that might just be random luck with one unit. Did you check the Status Overview screen to get details on the SPDIF input signal? It should at least recognize that the cable is plugged in.

No, it is not a random luck. The unit was factory reset and it has latest update. I am sound engineer with 25 years work expirience, and studio builder... This ADI 2 FS is my home studio converter. Tried to make work few hours, tried different variations multiple times. I do not why, but ADI 2 Silverface is defintely more robust. Status Overview recognised optical plugged in, but no clock. Anyway, new cable solved the problem. What is the DA chip in the new ADI 2 FS units? Because it sounds better with more detail (but the difference is not big) compared to AKM DAC unit..

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-13 11:49:33)

ilorenci wrote:

..I am sound engineer with 25 years work expirience, and studio builder... This ADI 2 FS is my home studio converter. .. new cable solved the problem. ...Because it sounds better with more detail ...

You‘re a pro, so what do you do with a broken cable: cut it in two and throw it in the trash.

For any valid sound comparison:
• Levels must match better than a few 1/100 of a dB.
• 100% make sure the settings on each specimen is correct, e.g. by doing a factory reset just before the test.
• Switching must be immediate, and blind or double blind.
• If the difference is not VERY obvious, at least 50 to 100 comparison runs need to be done and statistically evaluated.

The typical plugging round stuff people do is useless.

KaiS wrote:
ilorenci wrote:

..I am sound engineer with 25 years work expirience, and studio builder... This ADI 2 FS is my home studio converter. .. new cable solved the problem. ...Because it sounds better with more detail ...

You‘re a pro, so what do you do with a broken cable: cut it in two and throw it in the trash.

For any valid sound comparison:
• Levels must match better than a few 1/100 of a dB.
• 100% make sure the settings on each specimen is correct, e.g. by doing a factory reset just before the test.
• Switching must be immediate, and blind or double blind.
• If the difference is not VERY obvious, at least 50 to 100 comparison runs need to be done and statistically evaluated.

The typical plugging round stuff people do is useless.

I threw it into trash next second i realised that is broken. But it is interesting how it got broken - because of enormous and close thunder struck. I could not believe that thunder can affect plastic cable, but that is only valid explanation. The thunder burned 4 routers in the house, one HDMI output from TV, a DAC (which was connected with optical cable to the TV) and, obviously - did something to the optical cable.

About sound difference - I do not need to do all this kind of test to evaluate that the two have different sound. The difference is obiovus. Which is better -  is my purely subjective opinion. If I want to test them and prove the difference, I do not do blind tests, I do null tests (which I plan to do when I finish my new home studio in next two months). So I am curious which DA chip is in ADI 2 FS Silverface, newest production.

Obviously, Silverface is without DSP processing, so maybe there lies the difference.

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-14 06:22:37)

Sorry to hear about the lightning hit.

I had this twice in 38 years.
Although not direct hits, more like some 20m away, they fried stuff separated from the mains.

According the “obvious” differences, in this case either one device is broken, or other unwanted factors dominated the comparison.

E.g. when listening through speakers, you may not move yoiurself the least when switching A/B, or the changed acoustics on different positions spoils the result.

In my years-long experience, specially when involved in devices developments, I found audible differences between DA converters exist, but are subtle, even if cheap and expensive ones are A/B-ed against each other.