Re: ADI-2 Remote Pre-Release: Step 3 – support for the whole ADI-2 series

If you want to join us on some weekend testing: beta 5 is now available without installer (install beta 3 first to have all files, then copy over the app). We decided to work a bit more on many small details so that the first release will be as mature as possible. So far it looks good, release could be Monday, unless someone finds a bummer wink

[Edit: Links removed]

Thank you all for the valuable feedback so far!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

52 (edited by ramses 2023-09-23 10:06:41)

Really great job!

A few things by mail in the area of window resizing, "cosmetic" (and a DC NG bug/crash).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

One more time: Thank you, Great work!

Feature or bug?

When using the ADI-2 Pro in USB mode the Remote app doesn't show the USB sources in the Source chooser for Phones. You still have to manually choose USB 3-4 from the hardware.

Bug. Thanks a lot, very useful!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Here we go: the final version 1.3 is now available for download, see links in first post!

Working on the last details we stumbled over a few more smaller issues and even firmware bugs never noticed before. New FUTs are in the works, the final firmware versions will be:

ADI-2 DAC: USB 80, DSP 59
ADI-2 Pro: USB 266, DSP 122
ADI-2/4 Pro SE (Hw Rev 6): USB 71, DSP 36
ADI-2/4 Pro SE (Hw Rev.7): USB 208, DSP 36

These should be available tomorrow, but that shouldn't keep you from using the final version 1.3 as it also works perfectly with the existing firmware versions linked in the first post.

Many thanks to everyone who gave us ideas, reported bugs or issues, and helped us bringing this amazing tool forward!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias!

The updated Mac FUT is up. Windows FUT is now up as well. iPad app is available.

And to put a (temporary) end to all the work I also uploaded the manual (!) for the ADI-2 Remote software, version 1.0, in German and English. Links:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2remote_e.pdf

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2remote_d.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

And to put a (temporary) end to all the work I also uploaded the manual (!) for the ADI-2 Remote software, version 1.0, in German and English. Links:

Thanks! Just a small mistake, in the English version of the manual, page 13, the description of 'M/S-Proc' is in German.

Hello.
I have updated the ADI 2 DAC FS with the latest version FPGA 80, DSP 59* for MAC OS X on a MacBook AIR 13 with MAC OS SIERRA Vers. 10.12.6 and the Remote app installed, although it doesn't work. The screen remains with the message "LOADING" and does not advance.
With the previous version FPGA 80, DSP 58, this application did not even open.
Can somebody help me?.
Thanks in advance.

I am pretty sure your MacBook is very old, and its integrated graphics does not support Metal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

splitting_ears wrote:

Thanks! Just a small mistake, in the English version of the manual, page 13, the description of 'M/S-Proc' is in German.

Fixed, thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry to post this after the first release, but I just found a bug with the EQ presets on Windows 11.

If a preset has a colon (:) in its name, the save window from the EQ Presets page won't display at all, making it impossible to save it to a file.

Hello! I believe I've found a bug with the Dim feature in the remote app.

The remote manual states that "adjusting Volume to a higher value deactivates Dim immediately". On the ADI-2 DAC on Windows 10, this does not happen. When volume is adjusted through the remote app, Dim stays on until manually disabled. When adjusting volume on the physical unit, the function works as described.

splitting_ears wrote:

Sorry to post this after the first release, but I just found a bug with the EQ presets on Windows 11.

If a preset has a colon (:) in its name, the save window from the EQ Presets page won't display at all, making it impossible to save it to a file.

Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces in the world of MS Windows:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo … ing-a-file
What characters are forbidden in Windows and Linux directory names?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/197 … tory-names

splitting_ears wrote:

LOL! Please don't expect us to 'fix' this in the next weeks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Vollidiot wrote:

Hello! I believe I've found a bug with the Dim feature in the remote app.

The remote manual states that "adjusting Volume to a higher value deactivates Dim immediately". On the ADI-2 DAC on Windows 10, this does not happen. When volume is adjusted through the remote app, Dim stays on until manually disabled. When adjusting volume on the physical unit, the function works as described.

That's a bug with the manual, not the app. The unit's behaviour with Dim is very special and it's not clear if we can add this to the Remote at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

68 (edited by Data 2023-09-27 07:10:08)

1.3 works flawlessly on macOS (Sonoma). On iOS the app still takes some time to reconnect after switching to another app ("waiting"), and sometimes it doesn't. Would be cool to have the new app icon also on iOS.

Thank you RME!!

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist

69 (edited by splitting_ears 2023-09-27 08:14:55)

MC wrote:

LOL! Please don't expect us to 'fix' this in the next weeks.

Sorry, I don't understand neutral
I know it's not a huge bug (and there's certainly no rush to fix it), but wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the remote app to either:

- silently remove the colon from the preset name so that the save window displays correctly...
- or, display an error message to inform the user that this is not possible.

Given that the ADI-2 itself has no problem storing presets with ":" characters?

70 (edited by weme 2023-09-29 08:21:01)

MC wrote:

... And to put a (temporary) end to all the work I also uploaded the manual (!) for the ADI-2 Remote software, version 1.0, in German and English. Links:

German version:
The table of contents Chapter 10.n -> 8.n
Chapter 8.3 contains English text [Rear TRS 3/4 (only Ph 34 on ADI-2/4 Pro SE)]

Both language versions:
8.1 Line Input (2 Pro and 2/4 Pro SE) or 8.1 Line Input (ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2/4 Pro SE)?
Chapters 8.4.1 - 8.4.4 do not differentiate between ADI-2 DAC/PRO functions.
Alternatively, the descriptions of the different program functions of DAC/PRO from chapter 8 on could simply be done in separate chapters - thus analogous to chapter 8.1.
Since newly shipped ADI-2 units probably only contain a handout and no printed manual for the ADI-2 Remote software (the software is only available as download), RME would not have higher printing costs.

Now Adi2 pro was have Win/Mac/Ios user interface with remote. Super.
And will be super good have network Remote in local network.
Litle local server(upnp for example) included in the RME remote software started on the PC/MAC and give you network remote management via ipad. Very useful.
See jriver upnp for example.

Next Big step is include ADI2 Pro in to Totalmix family.

Hello,
I enjoyed this new soft, but could you add programmable keyboard shortcuts?
For example, to control the volume or switch PEQ profiles with a simple shortcut.
This would be nice, thx for your consideration.

Totally impressed with the way you manage in-step software development on such diverse platforms: DSP, FPGA, Win, Mac, iPad.
It is a true refreshment in the era that drove general software quality to the gutter.

ADI-2 DAC FS
ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

WowFlutter wrote:

Totally impressed with the way you manage in-step software development on such diverse platforms: DSP, FPGA, Win, Mac, iPad.
It is a true refreshment in the era that drove general software quality to the gutter.

+1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

75 (edited by Pervasive_Silicon 2023-09-28 08:10:54)

integra wrote:

Now Adi2 pro was have Win/Mac/Ios user interface with remote. Super.
And will be super good have network Remote in local network.
Litle local server(upnp for example) included in the RME remote software started on the PC/MAC and give you network remote management via ipad. Very useful.
See jriver upnp for example.

Yes, and then just automatically load the PEQ parameter set from a huge open source headphone database without the necessity to enter these manually.
Sorry, I‘m just dreaming…

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

76 (edited by vlad.e 2023-09-28 14:55:45)

Hello! Great app! One bug found: Bass and Treble settings are not displayed with eq curve on 1.3 non beta version. Beta was ok. Adi 2 pro fs be. Ventura m2.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

I suspect that you did not have both B/T options active - then it won't work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I suspect that you did not have both B/T options active - then it won't work.

they are active and Adi's display works correctly.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

79 (edited by vlad.e 2023-09-28 22:07:58)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpJ5vh8qWN4
This happens with PH12 output only.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

I see. Will be fixed later, thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Update information for installing on a Mac.  I typically download/store ALL of my Apps in DropBox so I can access them at multiple locations between home and studios.  I've had this problem with other installers and just did again with the ADI Remote installer.

The installation will ALWAYS FAIL if the installer isn't moved or copied from DropBox to your Desktop.  I believe this is because permissions aren't requested from the installer for DropBox as they are when the installer is on the Desktop.  Regardless, copying the installer works.

Just wanted to leave this info in case someone else had the same issue.

Someone else already had:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=37331

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

83 (edited by ramses 2023-09-30 12:41:08)

I noticed a little "cosmetic" issue on ADI-2 Pro FS R BE with also the latest release of ADI-2 Remote v1.3.

I am using PEQ for active monitors and headphones
- slow compensation for Line Out 1/2 (one of your preset, thanks for that "library")
- my own PEQ preset for Phones 3/4

I am storing these PEQ settings for example to config slot 1, doesn't matter which one.

When restoring the config, then I don't see the PEQ preset name, but instead of this, "Manual (last dialed)2.
Could this please be changed to show the name of the preset after restoring a config with PEQ settings?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zut7uht1eyv46kp8l2h2y/2023-09-30-ADI-2-Remote-doesnt-restore-EQ-Preset.jpg?rlkey=khrxqamxrgxukmtrxjgnq3jpd&dl=1

Is this about this part described in the manual:

This section allows to save the whole state of the unit as Setup in 9 memory slots. The EQ Presets are not included, but stored separately. The current state of the EQ is stored, and written to the EQ memory slot Manual during load of a Setup.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

85 (edited by ramses 2023-09-30 18:25:24)

MC wrote:

Is this about this part described in the manual:

This section allows to save the whole state of the unit as Setup in 9 memory slots. The EQ Presets are not included, but stored separately. The current state of the EQ is stored, and written to the EQ memory slot Manual during load of a Setup.

Ok, seems I misunderstood the current concept.

But it's a bit irritating, not to see the name of the PEQ preset, which is currently in use, after loading a config.

Is there no possibility to store a "pointer" to the PEQ preset that I want to have loaded with a certain config and then to display it properly for all outputs?

The software works exactly like the unit itself (and the unit does it this way since 2016).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The software works exactly like the unit itself (and the unit does it this way since 2016).

Ok, I see what you mean. However, it is a different situation now. Previously on the display, you rarely saw it on the display unless you called up the EQ menu.

However, with the ADI-2 Remote we now have an interface that shows you many things at a glance and it would be nice to see the name of the currently active PEQ setting.

The workaround is not so pleasant to select that every time for each output again. That's a lot of mouse clicks, it would be nice if that didn't have to be.

Let me explain it in a different way - the softare is called Remote for a reason. It doesn't do anything on its own. It triggers the processes in the unit, the unit does what it does, and sends back the info about what happened to the Remote app.

What you want is a fundamentally different thing - working differently to the unit. That requires logic and programming within the software, which is - at least for now - not our scope. Might come later, though.

Before that we need to add the Status Overview - far more important and useful, IMHO.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the explanation. Ok, understood and yes, the status overview is more important.
Also, thanks for considering possibly a later implementation.

MC wrote:
weme wrote:

A very small additional program ("app") - which provides only the functions "Load / Store Setup" (of the above quoted Step 2) and runs under Windows 7 - should still be offered!

No one said this won't come. Also: as soon as we publish the MIDI commands anyone could do that.

But first we have to finish the existing app in all aspects. We are still finding small issues while improving it, and will most probably see some more when adding 2 and 2/4 Pro.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 70#p205270

If the header line (File | Options | Window | Help - all with the menus) of the ADI-2 Remote programme window is not part of the vector-scalable graphic, the functions are already programmed and could probably be adapted with little effort for a programme that runs under Windows 7.

Link to the MIDI protocol is in post #1...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great!
That was the start release for the RME-ADI-2-REMOTE-APP-RACE and further software variants:

RME ADI-2 REMOTE APP RACE - for the best alternative software - was started today
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … day.48352/

Hi guys,
I updated my ADI-2 Pro firmware so I can successful use the the ADI-2 Remote software on windows.

Now I like to change the volume setting of ADI-2 Pro by a Linux-Script.
In Linux there is a command called

amidi 

the can handle Midi via USB.

Connecting my ADI-2 Pro to linux and writing

amidi -l 

I see two ports

Dir Device    Name
IO  hw:1,0,0  ADI-2 Pro (55790015) Port 1
IO  hw:1,0,1  ADI-2 Pro (55790015) MIDI 2

Now I have two questions:
Which of the two ports have to be used to send the "Change Volume" command?
What have I to send via this post with

amidi -p hw:1,0,x -S "xx xx xx xx xx ... xx"

to set the volume?

Any ideas?
Best DrCWO

DrCWO
Creator of rooExtend
Audiophile music lover,
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering

Unfortunately the bug in iPadOS17, losing contact with Adi-2 dac, is still there….

95 (edited by DrCWO 2023-10-03 10:03:29)

DrCWO wrote:

Which of the two ports have to be used to send the "Change Volume" command?

The port to use is hw:1,0,0. I can read from it and write to it :-)

Edit:
You can find more information here

DrCWO
Creator of rooExtend
Audiophile music lover,

rienm wrote:

Unfortunately the bug in iPadOS17, losing contact with Adi-2 dac, is still there….

Not completely wink

We covered nearly all cases except the one you seem to see now. Unlike before where you needed to restart the app simply put the app from background to foreground a second time and it will work. Fix upcoming.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is there a chance to put ADI-2 to standby via remote? Did find nothing about that in the settings...

DrCWO
Creator of rooExtend
Audiophile music lover,

Commands not listed means there is no such function...(yet)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Will keyboard shortcuts be implemented in the future?

hi,
when i try to open the flash tool with macos sonoma it instantly closes. Is it not compatible?