Re: ADI-2 Remote Pre-Release: Step 3 – support for the whole ADI-2 series

I'd also like an option in the Remote Software to turn off certain buttons on the Remote Hardware. I never use B/T/Balance, and sometimes hit them accidentally. Or let us re-program them!

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

152 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-08 01:00:38)

Babaluma wrote:

I'd also like an option in the Remote Software to turn off certain buttons on the Remote Hardware. I never use B/T/Balance, and sometimes hit them accidentally. Or let us re-program them!

Under:
SETUP / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / Remote Keys: Remote …
follows the list of keys that can be re-assigned.

Not exactly what you asked for, but still …

KaiS wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

Under:
SETUP / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / Remote Keys: Remote …
follows the list of keys that can be re-assigned.

Not exactly what you asked for, but still …

Yes, I already have most of the keys that can be remapped, remapped, but I would like all the buttons I DON'T use to be available for remapping too, B/T/Balance/Loudness etc. Right now they are doing nothing except get in the way and cause a headache when I occasionally press them by mistake.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

154 (edited by RPGWiZaRD 2023-12-17 11:23:47)

I just noticed this update with ADI-2 Remote, really nifty piece of software I didn't know I needed in my life, makes so much quicker to adjust stuff with the positive of easily being able to share EQ settings with each other with various headphones AND being able to do quick switching between two EQ settings if you are unsure which is better, you can switch between them during playback to get that instant change effect which makes it easier to finetune your settings to perfection. I enjoy that I can adjust all the controls with scroll wheel with 0.5 adjustment steps, already made some tiny improvement to my fav headphone's EQ setting that I keep using so long thinking there's probably not much more to gain here but now it sounds even nicer, this was mostly thank to being able to switch between the 2 settings very quickly/easily.

RME just keeps on giving!

Durch die freundliche Unterstützung von RME konnte ich eine Roon Extension (rooADI) entwickeln, mit der sich direkt von Roon aus das Device-Volume (+Mute) aller ADI-2 DACs steuern lässt. Das natürlich synchronisiert so dass ein Drehen am Knopf (+IR Fernbedienung) der ADIs auch die Lautstärke in Roon ändert. Zusätzlich kann die Eingangsumschaltung der DACs direkt aus Roon heraus erfolgen.

Ein Video dazu ist hier (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IUXBNc … p=gAQBiAQB) verfügbar, und weitere Details hier (https://sellcodes.com/VzCDaDxF).

Viele Grüße DrCWO

DrCWO
Creator of rooExtend
Audiophile music lover,
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering

Thanks for this app! It's a UX game changer.
Has there been consideration in mapping keys to control volume and mute? I think that's the only thing missing from a daily user experience perspective. I appreciate being able to swipe up and down on my Mac mouse when hovering over the volume control, but mapped keys would allow easier control overall and not require the user to hover their mouse over the small circle.
Cheers!

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 35#p204735

In July I reported that mouse swipe direction in MacOS is reversed.
As I recall, MC addressed that matter and corrected it.

However in the latest version(1.3(1)), the mouse swipe direction is reversed again.

Was the correction simply omitted by mistake,
or was there another reason to make it reversed?

IdleTalk wrote:

However in the latest version(1.3(1)), the mouse swipe direction is reversed again.

Is natural scrolling enabled in settings?
Volume control via swipe works as expected for me me (up = Vol+, down = Vol-), but I have natural scrolling disabled.

159 (edited by IdleTalk 2023-12-18 21:21:41)

Dad wrote:
IdleTalk wrote:

Is natural scrolling enabled in settings?
Volume control via swipe works as expected for me me (up = Vol+, down = Vol-), but I have natural scrolling disabled.

I have the "natural scrolling" enabled, just as Mac's default setting.
"Content tracks finger movement", not the scroll bar.

After disabling it and knob swiping works as it should.  Thanks for help.

The most strange thing is that knob swiping direction remains correct, even after I enabled "natural scrolling".
Now it works correctly regardless of "natural scrolling".
Strange, but good thing.
Or it may be just me losing my mind??

In case this was a bug, I write down how it happened:

• reset iMac (M1, Sonoma) via "Erase All Content and Settings" under "System Settings/General/Transfer or Reset"

• connected RME ADI-2 DAC

• installed ADI-2 remote app (ver. 1.3(1)): at this stage, knob swipe direction with Magic Mouse is inverted.

• disable "natural scrolling": knob swipe direction is corrected.

• enable "natural scrolling" again: knob swipe direction remains correct.

Did you restart the iMac to see if the scrolling remained correct for you?

Dad wrote:

Did you restart the iMac to see if the scrolling remained correct for you?

Yes,
after I restarted the iMac I confirmed that the swipe direction remained correct.
The "natural scrolling" setting doesn't seem to have any effect.

The reversion seems to happen only after the remote app is installed on a fresh Mac, and before tinkled with mouse settings.

We will try to check if this is the case. Nevertheless the scroll setting in macOS is overwritten by and for our software to always have the knobs work correctly, so that part is as expected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We will try to check if this is the case. Nevertheless the scroll setting in macOS is overwritten by and for our software to always have the knobs work correctly, so that part is as expected.

Thanks for checking in.
I'm very happy with the device & app from RME. Big kudos to you!

By the way, could you make the title bar in same colour with the app background, for a purely aesthetic reason?
That way the app will look more slick and modern.

Then, the first line of app interface (LINE OUT, PHONES, IEM ... Toggle ... DEVICE, EQ PRESETS) may be moved next to the 3-color buttons (red, yellow, green) to save some space. Current "title" (ADI-2 Remote: ADI-2 DAC (xxxxxxxx) - connected) might better be relocated to the Status Overview screen, which will be added later.

It's nothing urgent. Just to consider until the Status Overview screen is ready.

Hi,
Is there a MIDI system exclusive message to toggle the output of ADI-2 Pro?  (On the device, it can toggle by long-pressing the volume knob.)
I couldn’t find any information about it in MIDITable_ADI-2_230930.ods file.

Page 3 Device, Index 10.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

166 (edited by reharmonize 2024-01-08 08:57:10)

MC wrote:

Page 3 Device, Index 10.

Thank you for your response.
It seems that index 10 is a setting for the “Toggle Phones/Line” parameter, and not for changing output.
If I send parameter 0, Toggle Phones/Line will turn “OFF”, and if I send 5, it will change to “Line/Digit.”
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/scl/fi/2cvi026nwt488cyljxfuk/2024-01-08-163518.png?rlkey=h8u23dousr8faerwluf0qneuh

Can you add a volume limit feature?
I accidentally moved more than 30db at once.
I tried to reproduce it, but I don't know exactly.
I think it was probably a click-drag.

No, we can't. As any graphical GUI you can easily misuse it, or use it in an unfavourable way, because the OS and tools are built to do so. Example: use a mouse that has a scroll-wheel unlock feature, move it to the volume knob, push the wheel. In this case you will not scroll quickly through a very long page in your browser, but ramp volume up to max. Quicker than you can react. Well-known for this is also the Mac's Magic Mouse, with the touch surface instead of wheel. I think it is even free-wheeling by default.

The tools are the issue not the GUI! And this behaviour is the same with ANY audio software out there!

That said as we are always improving and optimizing our software we currently have plans to further reduce the 'speed' of the volume knob, so you need to move the mouse more far to change volume. And we plan to add the TotalMix option 'Disable mouse wheel'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The tools are the issue not the GUI! And this behaviour is the same with ANY audio software out there!

That said as we are always improving and optimizing our software we currently have plans to further reduce the 'speed' of the volume knob, so you need to move the mouse more far to change volume. And we plan to add the TotalMix option 'Disable mouse wheel'.

By the way, I'd like to ask for an opposite (in a way). Can we expect that you implement the option to accept mouse wheel inputs when the window is not in focus (at least in Windows, with respect to the system setting "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them")? This would improve usability for many users who are used to this behavior and make user experience more consistent.

I seriously doubt there are 'many' users that would like to have this feature. Anyway, for safety reasons alone this will not be added by us, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

171 (edited by smoil2000 2024-01-13 15:10:59)

MC wrote:

No, we can't. As any graphical GUI you can easily misuse it, or use it in an unfavourable way, because the OS and tools are built to do so. Example: use a mouse that has a scroll-wheel unlock feature, move it to the volume knob, push the wheel. In this case you will not scroll quickly through a very long page in your browser, but ramp volume up to max. Quicker than you can react. Well-known for this is also the Mac's Magic Mouse, with the touch surface instead of wheel. I think it is even free-wheeling by default.

I did not use an infinite wheel.
It's all about fail safe and how powerful the max volume of the adi-2 is.
This can also be solved by adjusting the delay and sequential movement.

reharmonize wrote:
MC wrote:

Page 3 Device, Index 10.

Thank you for your response.
It seems that index 10 is a setting for the “Toggle Phones/Line” parameter, and not for changing output.
If I send parameter 0, Toggle Phones/Line will turn “OFF”, and if I send 5, it will change to “Line/Digit.”

You are right, Toggle 'action' is indeed missing in the documentation.

Page 3 (Device, address 12): Index 63, value 1 will do.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You are right, Toggle 'action' is indeed missing in the documentation.

Page 3 (Device, address 12): Index 63, value 1 will do.

Thanks for reply.
I was able to toggle between speakers and headphones on a remote ADI-2 Pro using Stream Deck and sendMIDI(over SSH).

Thanks a lot for the software, so useful.
Had to drop my old amd HD6770 : not supporting dx12...it was about time anyway.

I use a volume wheel ( a generic usb one and also have msft bluetooth one).
I use it as a volume control for my adi-2 pro fsr (and toggle), but with a tricky/crazy way until now.

With this release, I was wondering if I could use my knob as a "control for the remote software" instead?

Or find a better/more direct way than mine.
The ssh midi way looks still blurry for me, and I fear it would take me ages again.

How I do until now:
I run Home Assistant on a VM.
I have a broadlink RM4 (universal IR remote),
With its home assistant integration I made it "learn" all my adi-2 pro remote commands.
I set Hass Agent (its a windows service used to send command and sensors from PC to Home Assistant) to send this commands when a particular shortcut is pressed
I edited wheel mapping to send the needed shortcuts.

175 (edited by bluetail 2024-02-22 05:31:19)

My work for the broadlink rm4 pro is better: https://github.com/zDEFz/broadlink-ui
U can also just copy out the commandline to re-use it whereever.
Or rather, for my uses.

But basically, as it is at the moment:

I change what I want from the terminal, and if I want the speakers on my piano, I press a key on my piano, and my pc senses it, and then fires the command for my universal remote. Or I could simply use a sensor below the seat to fire a command... And whatever! big_smile
There are seemingly infinite possibilities.

If RME could just auto-toggle to where the signal is. Would be useful. Maybe it makes more sense to mix optical with S/PDIF separately for me. Then I don't need the switch even.

Yea, I'll just bind my functions to a key. Done.

176 (edited by thomas.dubreuil 2024-02-22 21:24:16)

Nice, I didn't know there was an implementation of Broadlink RM4 for Windows now.

But I don't want to use another UI (we already have the greatest remote UI now), I want to use a wheel (like surface dial or generic usb wheel) : much more useful in everyday's studio, as you can jump from mouse to wheel without having to open an UI or window...

I succeeded in a new way without Home Assistant, using sendmidi and its commands in a basic batch file...

Here it is:

@echo off
set "sendmidi=%~dp0\sendmidi.exe"
set "volume_sensor_folder=%~dp0\VolumeLevel_ADI"
set "default_volume=1C61"
if not exist "%volume_sensor_folder%" ( mkdir "%volume_sensor_folder%" >nul 2>&1 )
cd /d "%volume_sensor_folder%"
for %%a in ("%volume_sensor_folder%\*") do ( set "current_volume=%%~na")
if "%current_volume%"=="" (set "current_volume=%default_volume%")
set /a "decimal_volume=0x%current_volume%"
set /a "new_volume=%decimal_volume%+5"
cmd /C exit %new_volume%
set "new_hex_volume=%=ExitCode:~-4%"
set "val1=%new_hex_volume:~0,2%"
set "val2=%new_hex_volume:~-2%"
cd /d "%volume_sensor_folder%"
del /f /s /q "%volume_sensor_folder%\*" >nul 2>&1
echo >"%volume_sensor_folder%\%new_hex_volume%"
"%sendmidi%" dev "ADI-2 Pro Midi Port 1" system-exclusive hex 00 20 0D 72 02 1B %val1% %val2%
goto :eof

But it implies new caveats:
- I need to use a folder to "write" and remember" the current volume (and set a default volume, in case).
- I need to convert decimal to hex and back
- I only found how to change one parameter at a time (1-2 or 3-4), where with Broadlink and Home Assistant I just control "current selected output"
- Related to same problem, I can not toggle between outputs for "selected volume" like on the physical remote, or through Broadlink (Which is basically same as physical remote) and HA...
It seems this function hasn't been implemented in midi.

This is very useful this way...wheel for volume wheel click for toggle...So for now I stay with Broadlink.
I will check if there is a way to toggle volume control with your solution.

And it's a pain...the maths between device values, bytes and sysex (excel file) make my brain fry!

ps: might create new thread to not hijack this one.

^ very cool. I too am hoping for a wheel/dial solution for volume control (for Mac OS). I use a Loupedeck and macropad w/ rotary encoder for my Macs, and the current volume control workflow with the ADI-2 Remote is cumbersome. It really is the only issue I have with the software.

178 (edited by thomas.dubreuil 2024-02-23 02:02:35)

Dad wrote:

^ very cool. I too am hoping for a wheel/dial solution for volume control (for Mac OS). I use a Loupedeck and macropad w/ rotary encoder for my Macs, and the current volume control workflow with the ADI-2 Remote is cumbersome. It really is the only issue I have with the software.

I did a dedicated topic to volume knob/wheel : https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38970

You can use sendmidi/receivemidi with MacOS.

Just a heads-up. The ADI2-Remote works on Linux through CrossOver. Haven't tried immediately through wine yet.

thomas.dubreuil wrote:

Nice, I didn't know there was an implementation of Broadlink RM4 for Windows now.

Absolutely not! Broadlink did not do this. I did, and it is written in Python, not even specifically for Windows!

Would I it be possible to implement to choose what device one want see in Demo mode if no device is connected.
Or at least the ability to turn the Demo mode off after first use at all so the app always start with the last device connected UI and settings?

My ADI-2 DAC is not constantly connected to my MAC. So every time I start the App to prepare some EQ for example I see the 2/4 Pro Interface. It somehow confusing as a DAC user.

antagron wrote:

Feature request: Frequency values in PEQ graph. While it's fairly easy to intuit that the bolder lines are 100, 1k, 10k after thinking about it for a bit, having the frequencies clearly marked would be a nice, simple improvement.

Bug: sometimes, changing the label for a PEQ preset doesn't "take" -- the dialog box also seems to be right justified for some reason, which is a bit unintuitive. Can it be left-justified. Just picking around the edges of a great piece of software... I just got the ADI-2 DAC and this was released concurrently... what great timing!

so happy to see the labels on the graph now! Thanks RME!

feature request: switch on the interface with the remote software.

interface in machine room. me in listening room. bit far to walk every time. I like the auto power off standby mode to save energy etc. But is it possible to remote wake up via software?

a standby mode would not be energy saving and often it is powered from a powerstrip that get switched off for having the entire studio off. Then no remote would be able to reach the ADI-2.

You can use a remote controlled power like this :

https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/ma … e-20298059

https://i.ibb.co/gMFvR7R/Bildschirmfoto-2024-04-23-um-06-29-02.png

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

eljf wrote:

But is it possible to remote wake up via software?

No, not possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

186 (edited by KaiS 2024-04-23 10:14:56)

Maybe an automatic start at “mains power on” is possible?

Not via firmware update, and other than the automatic start that already exists after power loss.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

188 (edited by KaiS 2024-04-24 07:21:39)

MC wrote:

… the automatic start that already exists after power loss.

Fine, that’s the one needed, I didn’t notice exist.