Topic: [Solved] netifc - can I deactivate it somehow

is it possible to deactivate/uninstall the netifc part of the driver for a digiface dante? somehow it creates ??networkloops?? in my setup. I run the digiface dante on a m2 macmini with ventura installed, driver is 3.28b2.

more context: I run the digiface dante in connection with liveprofessor on a macmini as a pluginhost for a allen&heath dLive system. the computer is located remotely with the stagebox, furthermore there is a mini-pc (lenovo p93) hosting dante virtual soundcard for recording and a switch with some VLANs seperating the traffic of dante and control data. somehow (I believe it is because of the virtual network driver rme netifc) some connections (remotedesktop, remote screen sharing, midi apps) bleed through to the dante network and cause the dante network to become unstable.
I think if I could get rid of the rme virtual networkdriver this problem would be solved, I dont really need its functionality, because I can operate the dante controller from another device like the virtual soundcard pc.

i hope there is a way to get rid of the netifc, I have already searched but haven't found an answer.

Thank you very much,
andi

2 (edited by waedi 2023-09-23 19:47:36)

Re: [Solved] netifc - can I deactivate it somehow

Networkloop ? Have you feedback noise ?
It's very unclear what and where the issue is.
The mountain of possible fail-sources seems to be huge.
Virtual soundcard, remote desktop, mac and windows, midi-apps etc.
Piece by piece start from scratch and build up the set for a specific task.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

sudo rm -r /Library/Extensions/RMEUSBNetworkDriver*

Paths:
/Library/LaunchDaemons/de.rme-audio.netifc.plist
/Library/Application Support/RME/netifc

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

sudo rm -r /Library/Extensions/RMEUSBNetworkDriver*

Paths:
/Library/LaunchDaemons/de.rme-audio.netifc.plist
/Library/Application Support/RME/netifc

thank you very much!

strangely I cannot  find RMEUSBNetworkDriver kext in extensions folder, even if I reinstall the netifc package.
and if I delete de.rme-audio.netifc.plist and netifc from the other locations the whole dante network goes crazy.

any idea where RMEUSBNetworkDriver kext may live?

You're looking in the right Library? The direct one from Drive - Library - Application Support - RME? Also has Wireshark folder there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

this is the content of my /Library/Extensions/ folder https://ibb.co/M7jmV0W https://ibb.co/M7jmV0W

What version number is your MacOS ?

waedi wrote:

What version number is your MacOS ?

13.3.1 (22E261)

From the readme text in the Dante driver downloadfolder :

Notes on RME Netifc

General

Since Big Sur Apple no longer allows to run third party network kernel drivers. Instead one needs to provide a driver running in 'user space'. RME provides such a tool that replaces the former RME network kernel extension for 10.14 and up. Installation is easy: start the pkg and reboot - finished.

During installation Netifc automatically removes the older kernel network driver kernel extension if present.

The RME AVB Controller now immediately works. It typically uses the interface 'feth10002' or higher.

For the Dante Controller open the dialog 'Configure Dante Interfaces'. Do not select 'Use shared Dante interface'. In the 'Primary Interface' device list select 'bridge9999'. Now the Dante Controller no longer needs an external, additional network port and cable to access the Digiface Dante.

Netifc has been tested to be compatible with well-known third party apps like Wireshark and Hive.
--------------------

No wonder you can't find that kext file...?

Screenshot shows wrong path. Folder Application Support not opened.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thank you both! I understand now. different os version, different files. deinstallation worked now.