1 (edited by switch6343 2023-09-24 21:02:44)

Topic: Analog Audio Extender RCA Over Ethernet Single with a short Cat5e/6/7

I will have to connect my Power Amplifier with my Active Subwoofer with 2 x (Right and Left) RCA male <> RCA male cables of 5 m in length each.

To avoid that these cables can pick up noise from other cables and causing distortion in the audio chain, I could possibly buy 2 x 5 m Ethernet cable with RJ45 male at each end, as well as 4 x so called audio baluns i.e. connectors with at each end an analog Audio RCA male <> RJ45  female plug.

Such extender is called an audio balun.

May I ask you to shine some light on whether I should use such audio balun or not in my case (5 meter length). Is it necessary with such a length of 5 meter? And if so, what are the possible alternatives to an audio balun?

Re: Analog Audio Extender RCA Over Ethernet Single with a short Cat5e/6/7

For only 5 m stereo I would stay on a regular shielded audio cable.
Also XLR cable with adapters would be fine.
The RJ45 is a great solution for longer distances and lots of channels, perfect example is homerecording of a drum kit in the basement and having the recording room upstairs.
If you may need more channels one day, then the investment into such RJ45 adapter is not wrong. For the audio-quality - no problem.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by switch6343 2023-09-24 19:59:10)

Re: Analog Audio Extender RCA Over Ethernet Single with a short Cat5e/6/7

Super, thanks for your valuable feedback, waedi.

XLR <> XLR is not possible, because my Active Subwoofer does not avail of XLR jacks.

I plan to order some quality RCA <> RCA cables from Sommer or Cordial or Oehlbach.