Topic: Allo Shanti Dual Linear Power Supply

I need to buy a galvanic isolator, linear power supply for my FS DAC.
I had chosen the Allo shanti but then noticed that it is only 5V rated, I asume it will not work with my DAC.
Will it?  OR can anyone recommend a suitable alternative?
I have my whole system unplugged at the moment because I have a "Ground loop" problem so a "Galvanic bridge" is part of of my solution measures.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-09-27 11:43:43)

Re: Allo Shanti Dual Linear Power Supply

What device you have, is it ADI-2 DAC FS?

"FS DAC" is no product and DAC is sometimes be generally used for DA converter, not for the RME product ADI-2 DAC FS.

Also tell to which device it is connected and how (what cabling).

The question behind: is there perhaps a possibility to use optical solution like ADAT optical SPDIF?

I use, for example, ADI-2 Pro in standalone mode and have it connected to my TV by using optical SPDIF, this way I have no issues with ground loop.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-28 06:20:10)

elescoses8 wrote:

I need to buy a galvanic isolator, linear power supply for my FS DAC.

I have my whole system unplugged at the moment because I have a "Ground loop" problem so a "Galvanic bridge" is part of of my solution measures.

The standard RME supplied Switched Mode PSU already has galvanic isolation.

Your ground loop is created with other interconnections. e.g. from USB, linked to a computer.
If it’s a laptop try running it on battery.

BTW: Linear PSUs per se are no different ground connection related.

Thanks for the reply .
So I need to look for another Couse [Connection] for the problem?
As soon as termed on the ADI-2 DAC FS a banner appeared saying a non audio signal detected and when I touched it I got a shock so I have heard it for less than 2 seconds since I bought it.
Given what you said I think it could be via the inter connect to the integrated amp.
It did take me some time to realise I had a Ground Loop problem.

I am going back to a previously rejected mains ring (due to excessive line noise), for convenience AND so I'm taking all my power from one line.
I have ordered An Ethernet "Galvanic Bridge."
I have bought Shielded Mains cable for my amp.
All my power will be drawn through a surge protector/regulator.

Hopefully all the above is over kill (And not just for Ground L.); But if you think I'm missing something all advice will be welcome?

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-29 07:01:13)

elescoses8 wrote:

So I need to look for another Couse [Connection] for the problem?
As soon as termed on the ADI-2 DAC FS a banner appeared saying a non audio signal detected and when I touched it I got a shock …

This is a clear evidence you‘re missing a safety ground connection in your system, the main problem is NOT a ground loop.

It‘s impossible to remotely diagnose if and how dangerous the situation is.

Might be just some stray voltage, a static electricity body discharge (do you have new floor carpet?) or a dangerously broken device.
E.g. people‘s sensitivity to the common non-dangerous mains stray currents / voltages varies a lot.

In contrary, if you think something is broken, contact a local electrician to check all your devices for safety.

If you think there’s nothing dangerous, (ONLY THEN!) we can try to analyze the problem.

First and most important:
• For the moment DO NOT use an USB galvanic isolator.
With excessive (stray) mains voltage present in your system, you could break the USB chips of the connected devices.

Let’s isolate the real source of the problem.

• Please describe your configuration, and list the exact models of the devices involved.

• Which country’s mains power system and voltage are you using?

• Does at least one device, preferably the power amp, have a 3-prong mains connector with safety ground?

• Remove all mains power cables from the power strip outlets.
Then remove all interconnect cables, analog and digital audio.
Replug the mains plugs without touching the devices involved, to prevent being shocked again.

Now you can test all devices individually for excessive mains stray voltage.
If the electric shock you experienced was strong, only use an electricians screwdriver with built in neon lamp.

On ADI-2 it will lit dimly when touching a metal part with it’s tip while holding the screwdrivers contact area, that’s OK.
Should not light as bright as when touching the mains outlet.

Wiping across ADI-2 DAC with your finger tips gives a jittery sensation, but no “shock”, that’s OK.
Similar like e.g. on an iPhone’s metal surface, when connected to it’s charger.

• Check the other devices involved the same way.

AGAIN: IF YOU THINK IT’S DANGEROUS, CONTACT A LOCAL ELECTRICIAN.

Final remark:
All exotic stuff like isolators and such can make a situation worse that just needs a simple remedy, a single ground connection.

Sadly the allo shanti order has been cancelled as it the supplier said it only comes with a 5V dc out.
I have just ordered an ifi mains ground bridge for my amp and a rca interconnect ground loop preventer.
One of the things the allo shanti would have given me is a grounding point for my other equipment.
I think your right about needing to ground my Prima Luna 100 Integrated  amp but I haven't been able to finde out what to do exactly .
1) where do you ground too? my metal framed unit has plastic feet.
2) can I/ should I ground my other equipment; Fitzwillium radio (Not the new model), turn table or the wiim pro?
Once again thanks for replying .It can be hard to find stuff out if you live alone and are pree computer generation (And Dyslexic)
All I knew before I started all this is that I wanted a clean sounding sound system.
To your points:
1)No carpet, linoleum tiles (concrete ground floor).
2)UK 230V which I was taking from one Tacima current regulator etc. extension lead but will be using two from now on.
3) verry mild tingle shock ,not strong.
Note also that the system (separates) will be the only only things plugged into the whole ring , but I live in a tenement so I had previously given up on it because as officially a heater ring other peoples central heating caused a lot of noise. (but no ground loop as far as I know ,though I did not have so many components).
Not being shore what to do I'm was planning to go back to the heater ring but this time with hundreds of pounds of shielded cables, ground loop defence and an Ethernet grounding bridge etc. unless you know better.
Thanks.

7 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-30 11:37:21)

In have a strong feeling that your problems origins from the multitude of power conditioners and ground isolators, maybe even from esoteric power cables.

For a clean system non of those is needed unless a galvanic computer connection (USB) comes into play.

Start over from the blank doing the cabling of your system, step by step:

• Take a standard 5 or 6 outlet power strip with no extras.
EVERY DEVICE NOW WILL SOLELY BE POWERED FROM THIS STRIP!

• Connect the Prima Luna with it’s standard power cord, and the speakers, nothing else.
The Prima Luna should have a 3-prong power cord and therefore should be grounded.
This is essential, I couldn‘t find info about Prima Luna‘s internal grounding scheme.

It will remain your system’s single, central grounding point.

> Should be free of hum, excessive noise and palpable surface voltage when touching.
Repeat this tests after each following step before going on.<

• Connect ADI-2 DAC with short RCA audio cables, then it‘s original PSU.

> Switch on and repeat the tests. <

• Connect a digital source, the WIIM Pro or such, to ADI-2 with an optical cable.

> Play a music track. Now you should have clean music and no problems. <

• Connect the Fitzwilliam Radio with a digital Coax cable to ADI-2, and/or with short analog RCA‘s to the Prima Luna.

> Now check carefully for hum. If both digital AND analog is connected, you might have built a ground loop.

In this case use your SPDIF Coax groundbreaker, or eliminate either analog OR digital connection.

• Connect your turntable to the Prima Luna.

DONE!

• Sell all the unnecessary stuff that the audiophile internet community has talked you into buying.

Thanks I will take your basic point of connecting things bit by bit as you described ,however I have given you the wrong idea, when I last had my system plugged in I had no ground bridges, conditioners, fancy cables or power regulators except for the tacima extension lead that you may be aware of.
I realise that I may have gone to far in buying all these things, I just wanted to be shore that when I did risk plugging things back in I had protections in place, even if I did not necessarily expect to use them all.
I thought start with possibly too many and remove them one by one until I had a good resalt with out too much stuff.
I would like to know haw to ground my amp as I really don't know what to do. Apart from the Earth pin on the plug what else can you do? My Prima Luna does have the optional extra Phono unit that is attached under the amp which does have a grounding point on it, can I use that or is it turn table specific?
I know it sounds stupid but because I bought the amp "EX display" I don't know if that is just the external shell of the phono input to show people what it would look like or if it is a functioning unit I have not yet tried it.
A friend did say it can't do any harm to try it so I will.
At the moment I have/had the turn table connected via an ordinary input, is that a probable Couse of my ground loop?
PS if this was real life I would have offered you a bear or bísquets if that is more your thing ,but all I can do is say thanks again.

9 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-30 13:24:27)

If you really need a dedicated extra ground connection, an adapter like below could be fittet to a case- or the phono-ground-screw of the Prima Luna.

First try without, as straight as possible.
If the Prima Luna is fully grounded via it’s power cord, an extra ground doesn’t improve anything.

And please, for the moment, pass on the power conditioner, no one knows what it does.
Once everything works, you can re-introduce it and see if it’s still OK.
Having surge protection isn’t a bad thing.

For extra grounding in the UK you need one of those and a piece of (green-yellow) wire.
Watch out for: ”Without built-in resistance” or it won’t do anything.

https://www.descoeurope.com/Europe-Cata … gs/231225/

https://www.descoindustries.com/Images/Catalog/231225.jpg

Thanks for the advice I'll try it soon . It is physically exhausting for an old man like me, so I need to be in condition (Back pain, etc).
I will let you know when it is dun or if I need to ask something else .

Postscript, I never did finde out what I did that solved my problem. In the end I take all my power form one twin socket, that I think eliminated ground loop conditions and added one galvanic bridge at my amp and one at the ethernet source, before I dared plug in again and have had no problems since.