Topic: RME FIREFACE UC - MIDI does not work

Hello folks,

I have a problem and hope that someone with practical experience can help me.

I connected the included cable to the Midi I/O output on the back of the device. There are 4 plugs on this cable (IN 1, IN 2, OUT 1, OUT 2). So far so good. Then I connected my keyboard (Midi OUT) with a cable and in IN 1 of the Fireface cable. Unfortunately nothing happens. :-(

In TotalMix I ticked “Enable Midi Control”.

What could I have forgotten? Can someone help me? If I connect the keyboard via USB and use "USB MIDI Cable" in my DAW, it works.

Thank you !

Re: RME FIREFACE UC - MIDI does not work

Hi
Please tell us what computer / system and audio software you have in use.
MIDI is independent from the audio part of the UC so far. Only the data is sent over the same USB cable. In your system and/or your DAW you have to select the right MIDI port for the keyboard.

rankfur wrote:

In TotalMix I ticked “Enable Midi Control”.

That's only if you want use a hardware controller for TotalMix. It's not related to MIDI keyboards for software instruments, score writing or such.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

If your keyboard has sounds (not just a MIDI controller) you may need to turn off "Local Mode" on the keyboard settings to send out MIDI on the 5 pin port.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

4 (edited by oli77sch 2023-09-28 16:00:00)

Jeff wrote:

If your keyboard has sounds (not just a MIDI controller) you may need to turn off "Local Mode" on the keyboard settings to send out MIDI on the 5 pin port.

Good hint! Also check if there is a switch for the MIDI output to select USB or 5pin port or if there is a setting for the 5pin output. I think there was a case with a M-Audio keyboard which can bypass USB midi in to 5pin midi out instead of the keyboard data to 5pin out.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

In Akai MPK Midi-keyboard in the system menu (buttons on the keyboard) : "Midi over DIN - yes"

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue