Topic: Correct Drivers? M2 Macbook Air + MADIface XT (usb) w/ Optical to My

Can someone help point out the mistake I’m making, or what I’m overlooking installing drivers on my M2 Macbook Air?  I’m running Ventura 13.6 and I’m trying to connect my MADIface XT (USB) using a standard ‘USB to USB-Type-C’ dongle.

I installed the following drivers:

fut_madiface_mac  (RME USB Series Flash Tool)
driver_usbdk_mac_4082  (Fireface USB DK 408_2.pkg)

The ‘Fireface USB DK 408_2.pkg’ seems to install correctly, but after restarting, the icon bounces a bit and then nothing happens.

The ‘RME USB Series Flash Tool’ will show all revisions as “0”.

When the TotalMix app is running, no routing board is visible.

Earlier today, I installed a ‘driver_usbdk_mac_4082’ driver ‘on top of’ the current installation and everything seemed to work, until I restarted. 

I also have an older i7 Air.  That computer instantly connects to the MADIface, and all current drivers work well.

I’m not sure what I’m missing with my 2022 M2 Air.

Anyone have any suggestions?  All help greatly appreciated!

Re: Correct Drivers? M2 Macbook Air + MADIface XT (usb) w/ Optical to My

I’m hoping my problem is something other than using a USB x USB Type-C dongle to connect my MADIface to my MacBook Air thunderbolt port...

3 (edited by waedi 2023-09-30 04:38:31)

you only need one cable. It should be included in the product box.
Something like this :
https://www.digitec.ch/im/productimages/2/1/6/7/5/6/1/2/3/3/2/6/2/2/0/8/1/8/0/fa1c29b4-58af-446d-8d1b-ef5c24754349_cropped.jpg?impolicy=ProductTileImage&resizeWidth=1000&resizeHeight=750&cropWidth=1000&cropHeight=750&resizeType=downsize&quality=high

The driver is this 409, read carefully the readme. And read my post to the end.
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … ac_409.zip

Are you sure, during the installation of the 408 driver, you did open the system preferences and in the Security&Privacy you did click the button ALLOW to allow the installation ?
During the driver installation there comes a popup window that tells you to do so, it has 2 buttons "open system settings" and "OK", in a hurry one can click the wrong button there and the installation fails and then the Totalmix will not show the mixer, we are trained to click OK all the time without reading, that was your mistake.
If you click "OK" that's the wrong button ! You have to click the other button for opening the system preferences and go to the Security&Privacy menu and scroll down to the ALLOW button. Click it, finish the installation and reboot !
Install the new 409 driver and keep attention to this ! Then after reboot your Madiface will work !
That's all part of the readme btw.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks a TON waedi !!!

I was trying to instal the wrong drivers.

Everything is working fine now, using the USB x USB type-C adaptor.

The strange thing is on the RME website, on the MADIface XT page,
it shows driver: driver_usbdk_mac_4082  (Fireface USB DK 408_2.pkg).

I would’ve NEVER found diver: driver_usbdk_mac_409
without your reply!

Now all I need to do is figure out how to configure 192 khz / 24 bit with the MADIface XT and Mytek 8x192...

currently going through manuals and settings trying to figure out that now...

6 (edited by waedi 2023-09-30 21:17:51)

wrenchAW wrote:

Thanks a TON waedi !!!

I was trying to instal the wrong drivers.

Everything is working fine now, using the USB x USB type-C adaptor.

The strange thing is on the RME website, on the MADIface XT page,
it shows driver: driver_usbdk_mac_4082  (Fireface USB DK 408_2.pkg).

I would’ve NEVER found diver: driver_usbdk_mac_409
without your reply!

The 408 is not the wrong driver it should have worked.
The 409 ist just the last update and it's from this week it will be transferred soon into the official place in the product webpage I guess.

For the sync, I would set the clock-mode to external Madi optical in the Madiface settings and let the Mytek clock internal.

Is your Mytek equipped wth a optional MADI DIO ? Do you connect it with a optical Madi cable to the Madiface ?

Yes, my Mytek has the MADI DIO card and I'm using the Madi optical card to my MADIface.
There are dip-switches on the MADI dip card, and when switching to 195 kHz, I don't see any difference on the USB interface (in my computer) BUT when I record 192 in DAW (Digital Performer 11), the tracks do show they're being recorded @ 192/24

In the Madiface settings dialog in the Mac, have it open and use the dip switches at the Mytek.
Is the sample rate in the Madiface settings not changing ? The clock is set to external Madi optical, right ?
The sample rate should switch according to the sip-switch setting on the Mytek, please check again.

I'm organizing my mobile rig, I'll check that out again.
I'd post screen shots, but it looks like you can't post photos to this forum.  You have to upload theme somewhere and then post the link...

Exactly, you have to bring the link to your photo.
A photo-upload-function in the forum would need an extra company checking all photos and empty the servers daily.
Photo-upload services are working perfectly fine for this.
https://imgbb.com

thanks!  I'll screen shot when i rack the units