Topic: Babyface with Ipad M1= latency

I dreamt about using an Ipad with Babyface pro FS and Logic Ipad to use as a guitar amp studio, but it felt sluggish...

So I recorded a signal through Babyface pro FS to Logic Pro Ipad on lowest 64 Buffer setting and out of a non latency speaker and got 13 ms latency....

I guess the class compliant drivers on the Ipad cancels out Rme´s normal class leading latency ???  The latency is awesome fast on the Mac

Morten smile

2 (edited by waedi 2023-10-12 05:25:59)

Re: Babyface with Ipad M1= latency

To find out the latency of the Babyface in CC-mode use an empty track in Logic and listen the direct monitoring of this track (your guitar) without any plugins.
The guitaramp plugin itself creates this latency I guess.
You then should be able to bring down the buffersize in Logic to 16.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

This test was done without any plugins present.. The input signal was routed via Totalmix directly out and recorded at the cone of a non latency speaker.. The same signal also routed though Logic Pro at lowest 64 buffer setting and recorded the same way..

That resulted in 13 ms difference between the two signals...

I guess the CC modes cancels out Rme´s normally superior low latency USB perfomance.....

Please remember... This was the Ipad... A buffer setting of 64 can only be selected not 16.. But still at 64 it's way higher than on Mac OS..

Keep in mind the famous RME low latency is from their ASIO driver wich is the audio-system for Windows.
In MacOS and iOS is Core-audio wich is the audio-system deep implemented in the OS core.
It can not be replaced by drivers.
The drivers of audio-interfaces do connect to the core-audio channels. Totalmix and Logic both should not have that much latency.
The iPad had some other stuff running in the background I guess.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

6 (edited by oli77sch 2023-10-17 07:13:43)

xmortenx wrote:

Please remember... This was the Ipad... A buffer setting of 64 can only be selected not 16.. But still at 64 it's way higher than on Mac OS..

waedi wrote:

Keep in mind the famous RME low latency is from their ASIO driver wich is the audio-system for Windows.
In MacOS and iOS is Core-audio wich is the audio-system deep implemented in the OS core.
It can not be replaced by drivers.
The drivers of audio-interfaces do connect to the core-audio channels. Totalmix and Logic both should not have that much latency.
The iPad had some other stuff running in the background I guess.

On macOS you have the native RME driver which performs much more efficient than the generic (class compliant) driver in iOS.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2