Topic: Apple Music, MacBook, Sample Rates

Hi All,

As learned recently (Thank you KaiS) MacOS does not support automatic sample rate (SR) switching.

What do you think might be better:
a) Setting SR fix to 192 kHz and up sample everything or
b) Setting SR fix to 44.1 kHz and down sample every track with higher SR?

Any thoughts welcome!

Thank you.

Best,
asahi

Re: Apple Music, MacBook, Sample Rates

I do my lossless listening on Qobuz, and when it is selected to play to the ADI-2Pro, everything does switch automatically.  Can you not select your output from Apple Music, as well? 

I use an app from Rogue Amoeba called SoundSource https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/ which allows you to actually set the preferred OUTPUT device and preset the SR from individual apps, if needed.  The app sits in the menu bar, replacing the SPEAKER icon.  Follow the link and take a look... it's a great app.

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-10-11 21:07:15)

asahi wrote:

a) Setting SR fix to 192 kHz and up sample everything or
b) Setting SR fix to 44.1 kHz and down sample every track with higher SR?

If there‘s a clear majority of tracks with in your typical playlist with 44.1 kHz, go with that, for lossless play.

Else, use upsampling.

BTW: Better ask related questions in the existing thread, to keep things together and avoid duplicates in the forum.

ericseaberg wrote:

I use an app from Rogue Amoeba called SoundSource https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/ which allows you to actually set the preferred OUTPUT device and preset the SR from individual apps, if needed.

Might be a valid solution, worth a try.

This app for iOS would be a killer!

KaiS wrote:

Might be a valid solution, worth a try.

This app for iOS would be a killer!

It really is... I've been using it for YEARS!!  Like I said, you can force Apple Music to re-route to the ADI-2 at all time, and it will switch sample rates on its own.

ericseaberg wrote:

Like I said, you can force Apple Music to re-route to the ADI-2 at all time, and it will switch sample rates on its own.

Hi Eric,

Not sure what you mean by that? What will switch sample rates (MacOS or ADI-2)?

From the SoundSource manual:
"By default, all audio on your Mac will play through the system's selected output device. Using these controls in SoundSource, you can switch the specific device being used for output, and adjust the output volume, balance, and sample rate."

But I don't want to set a specific sample rate (I can do this at "Audio-MIDI-Setup" as well), I want MacOS to switch sample rate automatically to the sample rate of the track played by Apple Music. Is the auto switch provided by SoundSource?

Best,
asahi

I also read the infos about SoundSource on their website and did not see this specific capability mentioned.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think there's confusion because Apple's software (Music, iTunes and Apple Music) and other don't support automatic sample rate (SR) switching. In case your audio is set to 48 kHz and you have a 44.1 song in the Music app, it will be resampled on the fly.

AFAIK, MacOS does support automatic sample rate (SR) switching. Reaper, fi supports it, but, not with all audio interfaces. I've never played with it, cause all I do in Reaper is 48 kHz SR.

The strange thing is that the Music app on iOS does support it. So, the confusion is almost complete :-)

So it's a bit of a mess...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cyrano wrote:

I think there's confusion because Apple's software (Music, iTunes and Apple Music) and other don't support automatic sample rate (SR) switching. In case your audio is set to 48 kHz and you have a 44.1 song in the Music app, it will be resampled on the fly.

AFAIK, MacOS does support automatic sample rate (SR) switching. Reaper, fi supports it, but, not with all audio interfaces. I've never played with it, cause all I do in Reaper is 48 kHz SR.

Hi cyrano, thank you for this.

If I understood you correctly, it’s Apple Music and not MacOS failing on auto SR switching. I need to do some tests with other steaming providers and will report back.

And - yes, iOS (or Apple Music App on iOS) is auto SR switching.

Best,
asahi

asahi wrote:

If I understood you correctly, it’s Apple Music and not MacOS failing on auto SR switching. I need to do some tests with other steaming providers and will report back.

Can confirm. I've installed Qobuz on my MacBook and yes, there is SR auto switch when streaming from Qobuz!

Will use my free of charge first month at Qobuz and might cancel my AM subscription...

Anybody any thoughts on Qobuz?

Best,
asahi

YES, I've been a Qobuz user for many years after hearing about it from my friends at SSL.  Well worth paying the price for it, if for no other reason, IF/WHEN you decide to purchase music to keep in your local library, you can get full 192K/24bit if available... I always save as FLAC encodes.  Also it's nice to realize that part of the Qobuz infrastructure is ALL ARTISTS get full licensing payments for their music... not just pennies like everyone else pays.

ericseaberg wrote:

…Also it's nice to realize that part of the Qobuz infrastructure is ALL ARTISTS get full licensing payments for their music... not just pennies like everyone else pays.

I the end it’s still pennies only, unfortunately.