Topic: Echoing channel on UCX II

Hi all,

I have a - probably quite dumb - question. I got a new UCX II few days ago. It is a really great unit and I already like it a lot. Yesterday my girlfriend accidentaly dropped a computer power cable plug (sorry for my english, I mean the end of the power cable, that goes into the power socket in the wall) from like 30cm on top of the unit. Today I tested a unit and it seems OK except that one of the two mic channels sounds a little "echoey" with condenser mic to me. Unfortunately the whole room is quite empty and echoey, so I have no way how to test it elsewhere now. And maybe I am just seeing ghosts.

So, just for calming my freaked out myself smile - is there something inside UCX II, that could be damaged by what happened and cause this behaviour? (or any other alteration of the recorded signal). Since there are no input transformers and no tubes and since the metal casing is quite durable, it shouldn't be prone to these accidents, right? Or am I mistaken?

Thank you,
Jan

2 (edited by ramses 2023-10-23 12:57:28)

Re: Echoing channel on UCX II

An empty reverberated room with bare walls can sound pretty bad.
But then one channel should not sound different from the other.
How do you compare that, is there a DAW involved, if yes try to exclude it?
Simply route from the Mic inputs to headphones in TM FX.

If necessary, TM FX "total reset" before and route everything to Main Out (with headphones assigned as Main Out).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by waedi 2023-10-23 12:57:27)

Yes ghost.

You can do a measure test with a cable loop from an analog output to that mic input, keep the gain closed it is like an analog line input and you can record back the output signal and compare the two waves.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

No possible damage of this nature, unless this magically activated the reverb in Totalmix...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME