Topic: Controlling Totalmix via Ableton

I cannot figure out how to control my new Babyface Pro FS via Ableton. I don't want to use any hardware controllers. I want to send a note from Ableton to Totalmix to change snapshots. That's all. Seems an easy task but I am not able to figure it out.
As per manual, F#3 or note 54 selects snapshot 1. So far I've tried:
Creating a clip with a single F#3 note on a track with output set to Babyface midi out. I then created a loop and connected MIDI in to MIDI out via cable. This didn't work.
I sent the note 54 from ClyphXPro, didn't work either.
Eventually I gave in and connected my Arturia Beatstep. Hitting F#3 on it had no effect at all. Arturia was selected in Settings>MIDI in Totalmix, remote controller was set to 1 and InUse was ticked. I tried different notes and octaves, nothing worked.
I just cannot figure it out. I would appreciate some help with this.

2 (edited by waedi 2023-10-30 06:22:40)

Re: Controlling Totalmix via Ableton

In those settings where you have ticked "in use"
there below : Midi Input, have you selected one ?

And be sure you send your Midi signal to Midi channel 1 !

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

In those settings where you have ticked "in use"
there below : Midi Input, have you selected one ?

And be sure you send your Midi signal to Midi channel 1 !

Hi, the "in use" box was ticked in each case. The Ableton track sending notes was set to channel 1. Sadly, nothing worked.

With some help of a gentleman on Facebook ClyphX group I got it all working now. The Babyface is truly a fantastic card. Very happy with my purchase!

AndyTheDude wrote:

With some help of a gentleman on Facebook ClyphX group I got it all working now. The Babyface is truly a fantastic card. Very happy with my purchase!

May you share the trick here ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:
AndyTheDude wrote:

May you share the trick here ?

Sure. My main mistake was sending MIDI notes to the MIDI IN on the Babyface. As per advice on Facebook I have created a virtual midi port (used Loopmidi for that) and set this as MIDI IN in the Totalmix settings. I have then created a track in Ableton with ClyphX midi clips and set ClyphX out as Loopmidi Virtual Port in Ableton midi settings.

That still wouldn't work which leads me to my second mistake: "Enable Protocol Support" in Mackie Control Options was unchecked. I had thought I don't need it as I was not using Mackie protocol at all. Everything started to work once I checked that box in.

Oddly enough, I found OSC to be easier to set up than midi. The manual is not very clear hence my confusion. Still, I am happy now.