1 (edited by linhbui 2023-10-30 09:28:26)

Topic: Crazy integration of ADI-PRO-FS divine conversion ?

Hello RME ADI divine conversion fans,

After having all 3 versions of DAC-fs , Pro FS, Pro SE, I am all hyped up with the sound of the series and want to replace all my ADDA with the Pro-FS Conversion.

Planning to have a RME HDSPe AES into a Thunderbolt chassis AS a host/interface unit. Then AES I/O to 4 RME ADI Pro FS ultimately for the divine conversion of 8 In and Out.

How about the idea and is there any clock issues with the setup ? I thought It will be so hyped for 1000$ / channel ratio and a rack of 4/8 Pro-FS altogether.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-10-30 09:45:41)

Re: Crazy integration of ADI-PRO-FS divine conversion ?

For what kind of setup is this? Something like 7.1?

If up to 15m is sufficient for you you could also consider ADAT.

Digiface USB (4x ADAT I/O), then you would not need an expensive thunderbolt expansion chassis or
RayDAT 4x ADAT I/O.

The other question is whether all your connected gear needs all of the features of the ADI-2 Pro FS.

Why are you not using e.g. an M-1610 Pro e.g. via MADI?

Or the combination of Digiface USB and 4x ADI-2 FS?

I don't want to persuade you to do anything, just a few thoughts that will ultimately have a decisive influence on the price.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

wow, thank-you for your interest and instant reply,

My setup is for mixing music in stereo and the 8 I/O from 4 Pro-FS is just for un-compromise Outboard-gear insert and for the LOVE of the filters, to me the RME filters make the main different.

I was considering the "UFX III + M1610 + Pro-SE setup" for the Price/Performance ratio , which also will be much easier in term of connection. But, an idea of 4/6/8 ProFS in a rack with divine conversion just curious me so much, haha. Taking the price out of equation, 8 channel ADDA of Pro-FS/SE must be better than 8 channel of 1610, maybe ?

one small question, I can not get NULL-test by the OPTICAL ADAT connection, how-ever I can with the AES and the USB connection. So, between AES and ADAT Optical, which is less lossy ?

again, thank you for your discussion

What do you mean by Null test?
Do you mean the Bittest to validate lossless transfer of audio from player to the DSP of the ADI?

There is no quality degradation with coaxial or optical SPDIF per se. All digital connections support lossless transfer of digital audio data. There is no quality difference. Maybe bad settings somewhere or bad cable?

UFX III has already the D/A converter of the previous generation of ADI-2 Pro FS built-in.
So you can connect your monitors directly to the UFX III using its 8x Analog I/O.
The only difference, you do not have D/A filter or the special features of the ADI-2 Pro FS.
If you want the ADI-2 Pro FS features, you can connect one through AES, ADAT.

I am not sure which D/A converter the M-1610 has built-in, but there are also surely of high quality.

The handling of 4 ADI-2 Pro FS might become tricky for you if you want features like dynamic loudness.
You would need to set the volume on the 4 devices separately.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-10-30 10:36:35)

linhbui wrote:

I can not get NULL-test by the OPTICAL ADAT connection, how-ever I can with the AES and the USB connection. So, between AES and ADAT Optical, which is less lossy ?

Maybe you have the SRC (Sample Rate Converter) active on the Optical, look:

• SETUP / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / SRC: should be OFF if not needed to adapt different sample rates.

Otherwise all digital interfaces carry the exact same signal / same quality.
ADI-2’s FS-Clock evens out theoretical differences in the clock jitter.

Optical has the advantage of complete galvanic isolation.
This 100% avoids ground loop noise which can creep into the analog chain from the computer.

For this reason I have all the converters in my studio connected via Madi Optical - ADAT Optical.