1 (edited by Tyrrell 2023-10-30 17:26:52)

Topic: VERY loud audio pops and full red leds

I'm getting random but more frequent audio pops and distorted cracks that in addition to threatening to blow my speaker drivers also scare the bejesus out of me. I monitor quietly but these pops are extremely loud. They can be intermittent and sound returns to normal but sometimes sound cuts out altogether. These are not the 'not enough buffer size' kind of stutters but rather VERY loud pops.

Setup below:
Fireface UCX II firmware: v106 driver: v4.08
Logic Pro 10.7.9 (with and without Rosetta)
Mac Studio M1 Max OS Ventura 13.6.1

Many thanks for your time.

Re: VERY loud audio pops and full red leds

If this is significantly louder than your music signals, have a look at this:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

When do these pops occur, is this reproducible with other software? Are they visible in Totalmix? Can you try another USB cable or port?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Tyrrell 2023-10-30 22:03:05)

Re: VERY loud audio pops and full red leds

Thanks for your reply. The issue is not when turning off/on as clicks and pops then are insignificant. It's more like some kind of sample rate or clock issue that sends a huge bang through the unit. My monitors are passive powered by an amp. The pops are visible with full red leds on the Fireface as well as in Totalmix. I've swapped USB ports and toggled Rosetta on/off. Project in question can be as little as 2 audio tracks running and almost no plugins so seems unrelated to cpu usage.

I haven't yet experienced this in anything other than Logic - so not while browsing videos/audio/etc. in Safari or Finder.