Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS compatibility

Hello. I'm upgrading my old computer and buying a new Gigabyte Z790 AORUS MASTER motherboard.
Is it compatible with ADI-2 DAC FS? 

Thank you.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-10-31 07:52:10)

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS compatibility

David10 wrote:

Hello. I'm upgrading my old computer and buying a new Gigabyte Z790 AORUS MASTER motherboard.
Is it compatible with ADI-2 DAC FS? 

Thank you.

Short story, I wouldn't worry too much with this converter using USB2 I/O, just try.

Longer story:

With the low transmission bandwidths of an 8 channel interface, problems are hardly to be expected. Furthermore, there were incompatibilities mainly with USB3 USB controllers. If USB controllers run in USB2, then these are separate contacts that lead to USB2 compatible electronics, which so far is quite uncritical in terms of compatibility.

Whether (the sum of all) drivers won't block CPU cores for too long, which can cause audio drops (because of DPC latencies) is difficult to predict. It can be a matter of change with each driver update or each new device that you connect, or whether you use Bluetooth and Wireless or not.

Even if there would be issues, just get a USB3 card with FL1100 chip (in case you would get a USB3 interface). The one from Sonnet works well with interfaces like UFX+ and UFX III. If then I invested in such a card to be compatible just for the case you would get such interfaces in the future. Then you have audio completely separated from the rest of your USB infrastructure.

But even more modern USB3 controllers from ASMedia run much better in USB3 mode nowadays (in short use it was stable with me) with USB3 interfaces like UFX+ and UFX III. With USB2, as I mentioned, usually no issues.

The only thing that might happen is a mutual interference of USB2 and USB3 devices if you connect many devices to USB. Because then a recording interface will no longer be connected alone behind a controller, but will share the bandwidth with other devices. Which is one of the reasons that you should try all USB2 and USB3 ports if there are problems with a device. The other is to find a compatible USB controller in case of devices using USB3 and if there are besides the Chipset USB3 ports from 3rd party controllers. But as I mentioned, this can be solved by getting a separate USB3 card where you isolate your audio/recording HW from the rest of the USB2/3 infrastructure.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I just thought maybe someone uses a motherboard from this series and can tell for sure.  I just don't have the opportunity to check before purchasing.

4 (edited by ramses 2023-10-31 16:00:47)

David10 wrote:

I just thought maybe someone uses a motherboard from this series and can tell for sure.  I just don't have the opportunity to check before purchasing.

It is well obvious, what you intend with it. What surprises me about your answer is that what I wrote to you seems to be apparently not of interest to you at all. I even took the "extra mile" to explain to you why you almost certainly don't need to worry, unless the board has junk drivers with high DPC latencies.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13