1 (edited by BreakerJones 2023-11-02 12:15:07)

Topic: [Solved] Raydat playing at half speed/sample rate?

Hi all, new here. Very glad this community exists, wonder if any of you could help me with a problem?

I recently bought a Raydat card, installed it in my PC.. I have an adat toslink cable coming out of ouput ADAT 4, and on the Hammerfall DSP Settings i have set SPDIF Out to be 'ADAT 4'.

My monitor station (Audient Nero) recognises the optical signal and locks on to it (light doesnt blink) but when I play any music (iTunes/Windows Media etc) its playing back in slo-mo, like half speed/sample rate?
I have the sample rate in the Hammerfall DSP settings set to 44100 Hz and the set the 'WDM devices' to SPDIF and 'Speaker' to SPDIF too. Correct output set in Windows 10 sounds settings too.

Any ideas? Have I got a dodgy card? It was originally in a smaller PCIex1 slot, and ive tried it in a larger PCIex16 slot too, same problem... same problem in Reaper too (even though Reaper is reporting that the interface is 44.1).

I used to rock a firewire MR816 interface, optical and coax ran just fine through the Audient Nero monitor station.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks wink
Al

Re: [Solved] Raydat playing at half speed/sample rate?

No help sorry but it is for sure a setting and not a bad card. What does the rme dsp setting app report. Maybe a screenshot?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

3 (edited by BreakerJones 2023-11-02 15:34:33)

Hi Vincent, appreciate you helping.

Do you mean this? it says its on 44100

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/hkhdk07n … p&dl=0

ive tried adjusting all of these settings. The only one that affects the audio is SPDIF Out 'Adat 4' which turns the sound on and off (as expected)

Hello!

I think that you need to configure a WDM Device for ADAT25+26. And use that, for your Windows Output!
Also, try checking/unchecking the "Professional" option, under the "S/PDIF Out" section, in the HDSP Settings.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hey! Thanks for replying..

I think that you need to configure a WDM Device for ADAT25+26. And use that, for your Windows Output!
Also, try checking/unchecking the "Professional" option, under the "S/PDIF Out" section, in the HDSP Settings.

I tried the 25-26 method (and now the monitor controller stopped recognising the optical signal!) and if im not mistaken I need to set the SPDIF OUT to ADAT4 to use it as a solo stereo signal?

Also tried toggling the 'professional' option - no change..

Hmm, no you don't need to set it to ADAT, because I think the Nero has an Optical SPDIF In(Stereo), not ADAT In(8channel stream).

The reason I suggested to set ADAT 25+26 for your main Output, is that despite the fact that ADAT4 Out is set as SPDIF, the driver still "sees" it as the first two channels of an ADAT stream, hence ADAT 25+26!

I have to think about it, a bit more, but I don 't have time right now!
If someone else doesn 't help you, I 'll be back in a few hours!! smile

7 (edited by BreakerJones 2023-11-02 16:26:39)

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hmm, no you don't need to set it to ADAT, because I think the Nero has an Optical SPDIF In(Stereo), not ADAT In(8channel stream).

The reason I suggested to set ADAT 25+26 for your main Output, is that despite the fact that ADAT4 Out is set as SPDIF, the driver still "sees" it as the first two channels of an ADAT stream, hence ADAT 25+26!

I have to think about it, a bit more, but I don 't have time right now!
If someone else doesn 't help you, I 'll be back in a few hours!! smile

No worries at all friend, thanks for replying! The Nero does have an optical spdif in stereo thats correct. Thats why I set the SPDIF OUT to be ADAT 4 on the DSP settings. It turns the ADAT 4 output into a stereo optical (as far as I gathered from the manual!)

Hello, I'm back!!

BreakerJones wrote:

It turns the ADAT 4 output into a stereo optical (as far as I gathered from the manual!)

Yep, that is, indeed, what happens! But, when you set SPDIF as WDM Device, it refers to the co-axial(RCA) Output.
ADAT 4 is still adressed as ADAT, by the driver, and since it is the 4th port, ADAT25+26 are used for Optical SPDIF.

But, nevertheless, I think I found it!
You, also, need to raise the fader for ADAT25+26 to "zero", in TMFX, and check that the Software Playback fader ADAT25+26
is raised to "zero", for that Output, as well !

Or, you can assign ADAT 25+26 as your Main Output, in TMFX, and raise the fader for the Main Output to "zero".
Also, make sure that the Software Playback ADAT25+26 is raised to "zero", as well, when you have the Main Output selected!!

Try it and please, report back!

9 (edited by BreakerJones 2023-11-03 12:09:24)

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello, I'm back!!

BreakerJones wrote:

It turns the ADAT 4 output into a stereo optical (as far as I gathered from the manual!)

Yep, that is, indeed, what happens! But, when you set SPDIF as WDM Device, it refers to the co-axial(RCA) Output.
ADAT 4 is still adressed as ADAT, by the driver, and since it is the 4th port, ADAT25+26 are used for Optical SPDIF.

But, nevertheless, I think I found it!
You, also, need to raise the fader for ADAT25+26 to "zero", in TMFX, and check that the Software Playback fader ADAT25+26
is raised to "zero", for that Output, as well !

Or, you can assign ADAT 25+26 as your Main Output, in TMFX, and raise the fader for the Main Output to "zero".
Also, make sure that the Software Playback ADAT25+26 is raised to "zero", as well, when you have the Main Output selected!!

Try it and please, report back!

Thanks so much. Still no joy though. Ive uploaded a video to show you what happens if i uncheck the SPDIF 'ADAT4' option -  basically the monitor station no longer recognises the optical input and flashes (you'll see the OPT light blinking in the video)

ive setup the TMFX as you suggested (think i got it right!) https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/inyehn07 … 4&dl=0

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/tk07kzsb … 9&dl=0

Something ive noticed as well, any audio or video played when the optical is recognised by my monitor station, is half speed. Like its ALL being bottlenecked, audio and video both play half speed. Very weird

Im honestly starting to think theres something wrong with this card ;(

A cable-Loopback test will show if signal is going out.
Connect the toslink cable to Adat input 1 at the card (instead of the nero) and see Totalmix receiving a signal in Adat input 1/2

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

A cable-Loopback test will show if signal is going out.
Connect the toslink cable to Adat input 1 at the card (instead of the nero) and see Totalmix receiving a signal in Adat input 1/2

Thank you for this. Can confirm no input signal showing up when I do this. Tried 3 cables too.

Screenshot of all settings: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/arj5tto2 … y&dl=0

ADAT Loop cable: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/f7y68i9o … q&dl=0

busted card?

12 (edited by waedi 2023-11-03 13:01:00)

In the settings the SPDIF output is not activated anymore ?
May you click it again ?

https://i.ibb.co/PTw2N5z/Bildschirmfoto-2023-11-03-um-12-58-54.png

waedi wrote:

In the settings the SPDIF output is not activated anymore ?
May you click it again ?

I tried both ways, no luck

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/dpwp7ymf … 6&dl=0

14 (edited by waedi 2023-11-03 13:06:44)

And also take down the fader of Adat input 1/2 in Totalmix ! This would create a feedback loop !

Instead of Input Adat 1, please try Adat 4 input and also select SPDIF input Adat 4 in the settings

waedi wrote:

And also take down the fader of Adat input 1/2 in Totalmix ! This would create a feedback loop !

Instead of Input Adat 1, please try Adat 4 input and also select SPDIF input Adat 4 in the settings

still nothing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15yjohbyhaisy … s.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/l7ydeckg … a&dl=0

16 (edited by waedi 2023-11-03 13:43:16)

Then may you try a test with a simple Adat signal, no SPDIF, just send the signal to any Adat output and perform a cable Loopback test as done before, check out every output port.
Watch the optical cabel, is there a red light ?
There should be red light coming from all the Adat output ports all the time.

17 (edited by BreakerJones 2023-11-03 15:10:38)

waedi wrote:

Then may you try a test with a simple Adat signal, no SPDIF, just send the signal to any Adat output and perform a cable Loopback test as done before, check out every output port.
Watch the optical cabel, is there a red light ?
There should be red light coming from all the Adat output ports all the time.

The red light shines through the optical cable every time, but when I test the 1 - 4 outputs to loopback i cant seem to get any configuration or combination to show an input on totalmix. I can see the software playback channel level in totalmix, as well as the hardware output level but that's it. No matter if i map it to the MAIN or use individual outputs I cant get the stream to come back in.

Also, another observation - when I play on itunes (i cant hear it) but i can see the seconds of time ticking by at half speed... I know its playing in slow-mo

I'm becoming pretty convinced that this unit is not outputting the adat stream correctly

18 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2023-11-04 13:10:37)

Ok, let 's enter troubleshooting mode! smile

- Can you, please, provide the driver and firmware version numbers?
- Did you try with another optical cable?
- Can you try a test with ASIO operation, only?
Just set WDM Devices to "zero", configure TMFX (SPDIF Out as Main Out, and ADAT 4 Port as SPDIF)
Set SPDIF Out as your Main DAW Outputs and play something! What happens?

--EDITED after @MC 's clarification about Optical SPDIF--

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

The SPDIF output (and input) is on the last channels, called SPDIF. Setting ADAT4 for SPDIF out switches the optical output on those channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Aah, I see!! Thank you for the clarification mr. Carstens!
And I apologize for misleading the OP! I thought that it was similar to the DF Usb that I use!!

I 'll edit my previous post!

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Ok, let 's enter troubleshooting mode! smile

- Can you, please, provide the driver and firmware version numbers?
- Did you try with another optical cable?
- Can you try a test with ASIO operation, only?
Just set WDM Devices to "zero", configure TMFX (SPDIF Out as Main Out, and ADAT 4 Port as SPDIF)
Set SPDIF Out as your Main DAW Outputs and play something! What happens?

--EDITED after @MC 's clarification about Optical SPDIF--

Hey! sorry - been away all weekend. Ok see below...

driver: 4.46
totalmix FX: 1.84
firmware: PCIe, HW Rev. 1 / 19 (Driver Kit  comp)
yes -tried 3 optical cables!

ASIO ONLY: it plays, I get audible sound - but at approx half speed (slow-mo sounding). The timer on Reaper moves at half speed too. So it's throttling and slowing down the whole system's timebase. this is the initial problem I had with this card ;(

22 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2023-11-08 02:39:14)

Thanks for the info!

I see from the RME website that the latest firmware is 18/207, for Windows.

Since yours is 19, I guess this means that you were using it on a Mac.--EDIT: Just checked the readme file and found out
that "19" is the latest firmware for Revision 1 RayDAT, so please disregard this info. EDIT--

Perhaps, you can try flashing with the latest Windows Firmware: https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_wdm_dspe.zip

Also, keep in mind that the Firmware Update requires a cold reboot(turn the power off).

So, I 'm sorry, but I cannot help you any further..
You could contact RME Support directly, here: https://www.rme-audio.de/support.html
At the "Request Support" Tab.

Thanks so much for the help. I ended up returning the card. I bought a brand new one and it worked straight out the box!

Appreciate your time! Cheers

Al

You 're welcome!! smile
Glad that you 've got it resolved!!