Topic: UCX 2 no AN1 to AN2 like Babyface Pro?

Hi there, I have been a long-term user of the Babyface pro for solo voiceovers. I've always had the feature at the bottom on totalmix of AN1 to AN2 allowing me to not have issues with having a left-only channel recording. (windows doesn't ever show an1 as its own input so this is the only way).  But I recently purchased a ucx 2 for the functionality of the dynamics features (which I love) but I don't have the same an1 to an 2 feature on totalmix?

Have I not set it up properly or has the ucx2 just not have that ability for some reason? Can it be added?

https://i.gyazo.com/40a76426ceaffb1540e9e49714782b30.png
https://i.gyazo.com/48ffb20300ca2ed6aa6c8fedb6d3f7fd.png

Using the latest firmware and software.

Any thoughts or support is much appreciated.
thanks Olli

2 (edited by waedi 2023-11-03 07:50:17)

Re: UCX 2 no AN1 to AN2 like Babyface Pro?

The only user manual i can find this is the Babyface Pro FS (not even the Babyface Pro nor the Madiface Pro ! )
Nowhere else.
Seems to be a unique feature of this interface.
PDF search for "AN1→ 2" points direct to its description, easy to find in every user manual, if it would exist.
Don't you record into a DAW ?
Record a mono track, panning center, export stereo track...
Or un-stereo the output channel and route the mic to both (for direct monitoring over a headphone)

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by oli77sch 2023-11-03 09:07:09)

waedi wrote:

The only user manual i can find this is the Babyface Pro FS (not even the Babyface Pro nor the Madiface Pro ! )
Nowhere else.
Seems to be a unique feature of this interface.

This feature was introduced with a specific firmware and Totalmix update, also for the older BFpro. I don’t remember the version numbers. Probably three years ago in the Covid 'Zoom boom' times…
Later EDIT:
From the FUT readme file:
Update 1.80: Updates Babyface Pro and Babyface Pro FS to version 127. AN1 can nowe be sent to the record channels 1 and 2 (mono mic to stereo record). Requires TotalMix FX v 1.66 (function AN1 -> 2).
So indeed a 'Babyface pro (FS) only' feature.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thanks, is there a way I can feature request? It would be a good feature to add. In the meantime I'll find an XLR splitter and run the same audio into both as when I mono the two inputs right now, it averages out the audio level and I lose about 10db (one half is silent.)

If anyone else has any thoughts or ideas, it would be much appreciated.

5 (edited by hselters 2023-11-03 16:37:45)

Through loopback and Total Mix routing options you could route the signal to different inputs.

However, if you loopback AN1 via the Hardware Output 2 to AN2 you might render your Main Output useless and also add some tiny delay to the second channel which might result in a misbalanced stereo signal.

If you can change to a different input pair then it would be easier.
E.g. you could route Input AN 1 to Adat Out 1 and 2 and enable Loopback on those Outputs. They you'd receive the signal on both input channels Adat 1/2.

6 (edited by olli.hull 2023-11-03 18:04:14)

hselters wrote:

Through loopback and Total Mix routing options you could route the signal to different inputs.

However, if you loopback AN1 via the Hardware Output 2 to AN2 you might render your Main Output useless and also add some tiny delay to the second channel which might result in a misbalanced stereo signal.

If you can change to a different input pair then it would be easier.
E.g. you could route Input AN 1 to Adat Out 1 and 2 and enable Loopback on those Outputs. They you'd receive the signal on both input channels Adat 1/2.

Honestly, I'd try that but I'm really unsure how to use loopbacks. I'll try and find a guide.
Thanks

7 (edited by ramses 2023-11-03 18:09:52)

Its so easy, you enable loopback on the HW output (bottom row) and get the signal on the corresponding input.
What goes easier like that?

Hint1: you need to click the wrench symbol, this opens a panel with a few more settings for the particular channel.

Hint2: use an unused pair of HW output and HW input, then you have most flexibility in terms of settings and levels without changing the levels for your monitoring.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Wow that actually worked! Very happy chap right now. It still cut about 5db looping back and making it stereo but using Dynamics on analog 3/4 with +5db fixed that. Awesome thank you.