1 (edited by slc 2024-01-04 03:17:03)

Topic: Hybrid DANTE / MADI setup

Hi,

I am trying to plan for an upgrade to my setup to accommodate the new SSL Origin console.

My question is, will the following work?

https://futurestatestudios.com/img/rme.png

- RME UFX III, M32 Pro ll AD Dante, M32 Pro ll DA (x2) all connected via MADI
- DB25 analog connections from the console to the AD and DA (x2) convertors
- M32 Pro ll AD Dante has a DANTE connection to an AVIOM listenback system
- AVIOM system sends DANTE to personal mixers

The idea is that the mic/line inputs to the console can be tracked via the DIRECT OUT on the console directly into the M32 Pro ll AD Dante via MADI to the UFX, whilst simultaneously the M32 Pro ll AD Dante can output over DANTE to the AVIOM.

Is this possible? Can the M32 Pro ll AD Dante route any of the other MADI streams over DANTE as well?

2 (edited by waedi 2023-11-05 14:03:06)

Re: Hybrid DANTE / MADI setup

Yes.
Looks impressive.
Good you included these images, otherwise I would have no idea what you mean with AD Pro ll.
You mean M32 Pro ll AD.
The console looks like a 32 channel mixer, then 1 M32 is enough, i can't see the use of 3 of them (Madi 64 channels can handle 2 of them).

@RME the product page M32 Pro ll missing the user manual download...?

I wanted to check if the DB-25 connector of the SSL has the same Pin layout as the M32,
using the user manual of the M32Pro non-ll the connectors are identical.
RME says Tascam standard and SSL says AES59 standard, the graphics showing same numbering of the pins.
The RME user manual has some mistakes on page 5 : wrong numbers on the grafik.
http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/M32ADPro_D.pdf

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

The reason for 2 x DA's (64 channels) is that the SSL Origin has 32 small and 32 large faders, making it possible for 64 channels on mixdown...

Presumably, if I wanted to save some $$$, I could use the "RME MADIface USB 128-Channel MADI USB Interface" instead of the "UFX III" ?

slc wrote:

Presumably, if I wanted to save some $$$, I could use the "RME MADIface USB 128-Channel MADI USB Interface" instead of the "UFX III" ?

yes

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

6 (edited by ramses 2023-11-05 10:43:18)

Hi Stuart. Nice setup! wink

For the products with AVB [optional Dante]
    12Mic, AVB Tool, M-1610 Pro, M-32 {AD,DA} Pro [II [D]]
you find the manuals in the new Web/PDF format here: https://docs.rme-audio.com/shared/

I remember that products like 12Mic can bridge MADI into AVB and vice versa.
See my blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … XTC-DE-EN/

From this blog article: This picture shows this bridging capabilities and this should also work IMHO between MADI and Dante:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2648-03-use-cases-jpg/

I would need some time to look this up in the manual, but see no reason why such a routing shouldn't be possible between MADI, AVB and Dante. Maybe better to wait for an official answer from RME to be on the safe side.

Yes, you could save some money by getting the MADIface USB.
On the other hand, the UFX III could give you some useful options for your setup.

- DURec that can be used to provide backup-recordings and recordings in stand-alone mode
- AES and ADAT/SPDIF ports gave you the possibility to connect other interesting devices in the future, like e.g.
   ADI-2 Pro FS R BE or ADI-2/4 Pro SE provide interesting functions/features for the monitoring.

Regarding the ADI-2 Pro series of products. Straightforward to be operated now with the new remote software: ADI-2 Remote.    It also provides you an SRC (sample rate converter) for your setup. The PEQ is very useful and helps to get your headphones more linear if you want or to add a possibly missing bass fundament.

I would recommend buying the "heart / backbone" of the digital part of the studio, not too small.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by ramses 2023-11-05 11:09:43)

slc wrote:

The reason for 2 x DA's (64 channels) is that the SSL Origin has 32 small and 32 large faders, making it possible for 64 channels on mixdown...

If I understood correctly, the large and small fader are for different purposes: channel fader and monitoring fader like e.g., pre-tape / post tape (found this info on gearspace).

Do you only need one M-32 AD Pro II because you only need audio from either (let me say) "unprocessed" or "processed" audio, if I understood it correctly?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by slc 2023-11-05 13:12:23)

So, the desk has a MIC/LINE input and MONITOR input per channel. The typical tracking is MIC > DAW > MONITOR > MIXBUS, but when not tracking you can split the LINE input and MONITOR input and then double the inputs (32 -> 64). You would then mix 64 channels using a combination of the small and long faders.

The manual has a suggested patchbay layout:

https://futurestatestudios.com/img/patchbay.png

I have highlighted the inputs to the desk, fed from the DA Pro (x2) in blue, and the outputs from the desk to the AD Pro in red.

The question is.... would I benefit from more inputs, another AD Pro perhaps? That way I would also route out the Stereo Group Outputs and track the grouped outputs too. That's another 16 inputs... I wonder if I would benefit from anything else, maybe the FX returns too?

With the M32 Pro ll AD, if I connect that to Dante, will I be able to route ANY of the channels in the MADI setup to Dante?

Update. The official answer from RME support:

> So, providing all of the devices are connected via MADI, then the M32 Pro can route any of the MADI channels to Dante.

Yes, indeed. Coaxial and optical simultaneously with a maximum of 64 Dante output channels.

> I was thinking that every device in the system had to have a Dante network port, but it seems that I can just buy the one Dante enabled M32 Pro, connect the whole system together via MADI optical and then use the one Dante port as the bridge to other systems.

Indeed not necessary to have every device on Dante if you a MADI system. You could add more Dante channels with multiple M32, but if 64 channels @44.1/48 kHz is enough, one Dante converter will do.