Topic: Babyface Pro Fs - Stand alone - input 1 to output 1 and 2

Hi,
CONTEXT
I've just bought the Babyface pro fs to replace my UR-44. The sound is great. This is my setup.
- Stand alone
- Class compliant mode
- Linux Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS (connected by USB)
- 2 Microphones connected, one is phantom.

MY PROBLEM
I can't figure out how to ensure both Microphone goes to output 1 and 2. Microphe 1 goes to Output 1. Microphone 2 goes to output 2.

I've read the documentation. I'm trying the "mix" function with no success.

Can anyone explain me how to do this basic operation? I can't wait to use my new installation.

2 (edited by waedi 2023-11-08 23:15:53)

Re: Babyface Pro Fs - Stand alone - input 1 to output 1 and 2

Sending mic to both outputs is not possible. You have to do this afterwards in the DAW.

Page 92 user manual :
While the setup is simplified (no panorama available) it is still very efficient and will address most
needs.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi Waedi,

Thank you for your kind answer.

Page 92 explain how to mix with TotalMix in Windows. I can do the same with Ardour in Linux. Which work perfectly. Thanks.

That being said, my old UR-44 was able to mix mic 1 to output 1-2 out of the box without a Daw. Is that lack of feature is peculiar to the Babyface?

Best

it is good for almost everyone.
Doubling a mono signal to send on two channels ist waste of one channel.
The mono signal on one channel is the full signal, perfect for further handling.
Panorama panning in standalone and CC-mode can be a feature request.
Feel free to change the title of your thread into : Feature Request Babyface Pro FS Standalone panorama.

@carl.simard: may I ask you for what application you would need to have one mic signal on both output channels?
As I understand it, the Babyface ProFS in standalone mode is not meant as kind of a mixer, but more as an AD/DA converter or as a two channel mic preamp.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

It is a computer interface.
Your use case is unusual.
A small analog mixer is what you shoud use.

Hi Waedi,
My use is not unusual. When I do video editing I can use the sofware to map the channel. When i do a video conference, using the smae computer, I have no need to have 2 channel. I bought the babyface for the quality.
I hope this explain.
Thanks

kvmithani wrote:

I really don’t get that it does the same on the headphone outputs, so in standalone or CC mode if recording acoustic guitar with one mic or a DI electric or mic vocals etc you can only monitor it out of the left headphone…

I don’t understand. If you are recording, the Babyface pro is probably not in standalone mode but connected to a computer or iPad? CC mode on macOS is useless, on Windows it doesn’t work and on iPad you have the Totalmix app.
So maybe on Linux or Android devices it could be an issue.
The Babyface pro is primarily meant as an audio interface. It has a standalone mode for some applications which are described in the manual. Could it be your use case is a bit uncommon?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

When you do video conference with a computer, you can use Totalmix and send the microphone signal to every possible channel at the same time.
If you use it in CC-mode you disable a huge part of the interface and make your work difficult.

10 (edited by waedi 2024-04-09 17:48:34)

The user manual clearly say in CC-mode no panorama, means input 1 is fix on output 1.
Standalone mixer is limited. Obvious.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 24#p214524

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME