1 (edited by ellens 2023-11-09 11:21:58)

Topic: Inconsistent/random short cracking sound (Fireface 802 FS)

Dear all,

I am a PhD student investigating the development of auditory pathways on speech. For my experiment, we bought the Fireface 802 FS so we could control the intensity of the sound in more detail. However, while calibrating we suddenly heard this short crack in our sounds - which are the syllables /ba/ and /da/ spoken by a French speaking female. The click or crack really sounds like an old or broken headphone. We checked multiple headphones and earplugs, but no cracks, while every time we put the sound card on, the crack appears. This crack is really random and inconsistent, but an absolutely no-go when conducting audiology research. I have tried different channels put no difference.

Did anyone come across this problem before? Could this be a bug in the sound card or USB cord, and as such we need to replace it, or could this be solved by changing any settings?

A second question, what is the relation between the setting of the bar in the TotalMix Panel and the output in dB? Specifically, how do we increase the sound exactly 1 dB SPL using the settings and not the button on the panel?

Thank you for any help/advice,
Have a great day,
Ellen

Re: Inconsistent/random short cracking sound (Fireface 802 FS)

Please get in touch with our support team @ Audio AG: support@rme-audio.de or support@rme-audio.com

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME