Topic: RME DSP Hammerfall Multiface 1 Firewire Connection

Hello,

I am long time user of Hammerfall Multiface version 1. I use the RME Cardbus (PCMCIA) Card. I wanted to ask in the forum, if anyone has any idea, if there is any other possibility to connect the Audio Card to my Macbook Pro via USB-C or Firewire? And of course does it exist a cable for such connection?

Thank you very much!

Best,
Matej

2 (edited by waedi 2023-11-10 13:24:00)

Re: RME DSP Hammerfall Multiface 1 Firewire Connection

Not a cable, an external box for PCI card or for the cardbus card.
Sonnet Tech is the address to contact for such solutions.

You have the PCMCIA Cardbus card, not the Express card ?
The ExpressCard would be better.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi, Waedi!

I use the Cardbus Card and with functionality I am very satisfied already for more than 20 years. I had some situations years ago to find a laptop with PCMCIA Card Slot, but after that I found it. Now, when I do recordings outside I would like to connect it to my Macbook Pro M2. I will send a message to Sonnet Tech like you suggested me to see what they say.
Do you have an Express Card 34 or 54?

Just to be 100% clear, it is not firewrie, connecting it to a firewire port will not work and most probably kill it. It is a firewire cable though...

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hi, Vinark!

Thanks for your reply!
So, there's no other way to connect it except with Cardbus host, if I understand you correctly.

So, other RME Sound Card should be in the bag for my outdoor Ambisonic Recordings!

Yes PCI, PCIe cardbus or express card hdsp cards.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

7 (edited by waedi 2023-11-10 21:03:08)

Sonoquilibrium wrote:

Hi, Waedi!

I use the Cardbus Card and with functionality I am very satisfied already for more than 20 years. I had some situations years ago to find a laptop with PCMCIA Card Slot, but after that I found it. Now, when I do recordings outside I would like to connect it to my Macbook Pro M2. I will send a message to Sonnet Tech like you suggested me to see what they say.
Do you have an Express Card 34 or 54?

Unfortunately I don't have such a card.
I was owner of Multiface 1 and Multiface 2, long ago and sold.
Sometimes a set appears on used market, mostly as complete set and with standard cardbus card, the Express card seems to be very rare.

A Babyface in the bag is never wrong, if you need more inputs like the Multiface then the UCXll is the real deal, not cheap but reliable.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Babyface is one of my favorite for mobile use. I like the DSP of Cardbus 54, if also someone would say that Express Card 34 works better. I would love to use the Cardbus outdoors, but it is not very practical for mobile use. For my MacBook Pro M2 I should find a USB Audio Interface, Macs are not so flexible like Laptops in connection with Cardbus interfaces.

This is what they say about the Cardbus..

The HDSP system uses the notebook’s PCMCIA type II port as Cardbus interface. Compared
to a PC-Card, which only has access to the outdated ISA-bus, Cardbus is a 32 bit PCI interface. Like with a desktop system it’s not possible to remove a PCI device while in operation.
First the operating system has to receive a ‚removal request’, then the device has to be
stopped. Finally the card can be pulled out of the PCMCIA slot.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!

Best wishes,
Matej