Topic: RME Fireface 800 & Windows 10 question...

I have read in other threads that the current drivers work with Windows 10 (1903). I am having to finally purchase a new system due to the death of my current (RIP) studio PC, and I found one on a local shopper site, but he says it is updated to 22H2. Does anyone know if the drivers will work with this version?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: RME Fireface 800 & Windows 10 question...

With any 10 and 11 version.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thx ramses...I am running a clean install of Win 10 Pro x64 on the new system. I think I will try the FF drivers out to see if it works like this, then manually update Win 10 and see what happens. There's a big thread I read about problems with Win 11...maybe they've been fixed...

Cheers!

puppy38 wrote:

Thx ramses...I am running a clean install of Win 10 Pro x64 on the new system. I think I will try the FF drivers out to see if it works like this, then manually update Win 10 and see what happens. There's a big thread I read about problems with Win 11...maybe they've been fixed...

Cheers!

I am running dual boot and can switch between Win10 Pro 22H2 and Win11 Pro 22H2. No difference.
UFX III here with MADIface driver 0.9827.

How well it runs finally depends on the BIOS, mainboard design, quality of all other drivers in terms of DPCs (how long they block the CPU as all this is solely based only on programming conventions).

Generally you have least problems with USB2, but with USB3 there were some incompatibilities but also more in the past (ASMedia). Generally (again) USB2 and USB3 from AMD/Intel chipset should be fine.

If you want to use USB3 and should have an issue there is still the possibility to get a separate Sonnet card with FL1100 chipset (which has been tested by RME and validated to be ok), by this you have good card, chipset and drivers which are integrated into Windows 10 and 11. On top these drivers use the more efficient MSI (message signalled interrupts). Additionally you have separated your recording interface behind a dedicated USB controller (this strategy works also well for USB2 if needed).

Reasons, why you should try all USB3 and USB2 ports of a system for connecting USB2 devices (to find a supported or good working USB3 controller, ideally which doesn't share its resources with another device than your recording device). Same true for USB3 ports to find the best working ones in case of different chipsets on the boards and whether the recording interface has a dedicated or shared USB3 controller.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by ramses 2023-11-17 15:15:34)

If you want to have it pre-tested and known to work .. then you need to either build the computer exactly the same way and with the same driver as a fellow forum member .. or you need to get a turnkey system.
Chances are high that it will work otherwise try the workaround with the Sonnet card, it is not that expensive.
I hope you get a desktop system and have at least one PCIe socket free without impact on the number of lanes of your GPU socket.

I looked some of that up, but the FF 800 is Firewire. I had it working, then updated (once) and nothing worked again, so I reinstalled the drivers and nothing happened. I have to keep the updates going until I'm all caught up for Windows 10, then if nothing works, I will roll it all back.

7 (edited by maggie33 2023-11-18 05:08:05)

...nothing worked again...

What do you mean with "nothing worked" exactly?

Last firewire driver 3125 works for the FF800 with win11 latest version (A friend of me acknowledged this).
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_fw_win_3125.zip

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

Hi Maggie, what I meant was that while the device turned on and the lights came on, there was no sound. However, what I did discover with a bit of amateur sleuthing, was this link:

https://www.studio1productions.com/Arti … wire-1.htm

It explains how, after Windows 10 update 1903, the legacy firewire drivers were basically scraped from windows and no longer available on the system. This might explain so many people complaining about the Fireface 800 not working with Windows 10 (or 11) after an update/upgrade.

I followed the instructions to the letter, and immediately my device is back to working like a charm.

The added bonus was that my new (old) motherboard had firewire 400 and 800 ports, so after getting the device working with a firewire 400 cable, I switched off the machine, swapped the 400 cable for an 800 cable, and by golly it still works perfectly.

Hope this helps someone else in the future, especially with Windows 11 starting to run its rampage.

Cheers then!

I followed the instructions to the letter, and immediately my device is back to working like a charm.

Nice to hear! Congrats!

So the problem seemed to be the driver between the Firewire Interface (of the Hardware card, motherboard or sth else) and windows 10 (or 11) itself...

Sure - the RME drivers for FF800 rely on a working Firewire Port.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard