Topic: Room EQ and Crossfeed - Preview for UFX+, UFX II and UFX III owners

RME proudly presents: 9-band PEQ, Delay, Volume Calibration and Crossfeed - four very useful features for speaker surround setup and optimized headphone usage. Now available for our flagship interfaces UFX+, UFX II and UFX III in TotalMix 1.90 for Mac and Windows!

Room EQ
A firmware update provides these three interfaces with an optimized handling of the existing 3-band PEQ in TotalMix FX. Under the hood a 9-band PEQ is built from three 3-band PEQs, usable on any output channel. Obviously DSP power is limited, so any activated Room EQ reduces the available total number of 3-band PEQs by that amount. That should be no issue though, there are plenty available.

The maximum number of Room EQs is 20, so up to 20 mono output channels or 10 stereo output channels or any combination of these. That's more than needed for a 16 channel surround setup.

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/tmfx_roomeq.png

Additionally the Room EQ window includes Delay, adjustable from 0 ms up to 42 ms, in steps of 0.01 ms. Up to 20 of these delays can be activated, matching the number of 9-band PEQs.

The Room EQ window also offers Volume Calibration through level adjustment from +3 dB down to -24 dB. This helps to set up all speakers in a usable way, without having to fiddle with the respective output channel's fader.

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/tmfx_settings_new.png

The Room EQ button in any output channel's Settings panel is lit when any of the functions in the Room EQ window are activated. For Delay that means not 0 ms, for VolCal not 0 dB.

On stereo channels the Room EQ window also includes channel selectors L, R, and both (Link symbol), to set the EQ curves as desired, individually or simultaneously.

The 3-band PEQ and 9-band Room EQ can be used at the same time, forming a 12-channel PEQ. Yet they are treated differently: The Room EQ is regarded as fixed speaker output setting, therefore not saved in Snapshots, but Workspaces. Also both PEQs have a Preset selector, but use individual files. The Presets in the Room EQ window include Delay and VolCal settings.

The Room EQ and Crossfeed are placed directly behind the 3-band PEQ, so they can be recorded via Loopback.

Crossfeed (stereo speaker emulation)
Finally, for headphone mixing and audiophilia, we also added the ADI-2 series' Crossfeed function. As known from these devices Crossfeed can be selected in 5 'strenghts', on a maximum of 3 stereo outputs. Crossfeed emulates speaker behaviour in terms of reduced channel separation, so the extreme wide ambiance often experienced with headphones is reduced a bit.

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/tmfx_crossfeed.png

How to make it work
If you have a UFX+, UFX II or UFX III and want to try this now, here are the downloads (Edit: removed because outdated):

Feedback
We appreciate any feedback about the current implementation, especially things like bugs, strange behaviour or incompatibilities. Please refrain from posting wish lists with more features in this thread, just use any of the already existing threads for that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Room EQ and Crossfeed - Preview for UFX+, UFX II and UFX III owners

Special note on UFX II

The above Room EQ firmware also adds the triple SPDIF feature of the UFX III to the UFX II: AES I/O and both optical ports can be used in any combination with AES and SPDIF. This feature will be made available in an upcoming driver update with added controls in the Settings dialog.

The reason for this extra post is a small issue with backwards compatibility. If you had set ADAT 2 to AES/XLR, then applied the upper firmware update, the UFX II needs a ‘reset’ to work with AES/ADAT2 as before. After flashing the unit and power off/on

- unplug the UFX II from USB so it enters stand-alone mode

- go to SETUP – Options – Hardware/Diagnosis. Here the new triple AES/SPDIF control is already present with options for AES Input, Optical 1 Out and Optical 2 Out.

- set Optical 2 Out to 'ADAT'

- replug USB, the AES option in the Settings dialog will work again

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Brilliant Mathias.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Well done, many thanks Matthias :-)
BTW, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE also got a firmware update (v122)? Seems I missed this one wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I know it's early so I may just need to be patient... but do you guys think these updates eventually be available for UCX II?

Laminar_Sound wrote:

I know it's early so I may just need to be patient... but do you guys think these updates eventually be available for UCX II?

I think, as the RME Mastermind MC at the presenting did say: It is just for the flagship (TotalMix FX) units from RME, which should have the biggest DSP chip onboard. I'm lucky to have the UFX II unit from RME. Great update!

In the comment section of the preview video RME stated that there will be an extended list of supported devices, and that they try to implement this in as many interfaces as possible. So I would guess that the focus on the flagship interfaces is just a thing at the beginning, and once it all works without flaws other units will follow.

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist

Just a question for the TotalMix FX "Speaker B" functionality. No sorry, by the way two questions.

First: Two speaker-setups, two different Room correction EQ's. When I hit "Speaker B" button it should automatically and contemporaneous change from one Room EQ to the next Room EQ. This would be a dream! And furthermore.

Question Two: Isn't it not time for an addition "Speaker C" functionality for RME TotalMix FX users? I think many Studio users have one main Midfield monitoring system, one Nearfield system and one small "all people" HIFI-system or even an additional subwoofer system in use.

What about users with UCX II ?

I think it would be beneficial to be able to change the size of the Room EQ Window to 200%.
Even with Full HD its a bit tiny. With 4k most likely more challenging.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

11 (edited by hselters 2023-11-29 12:21:07)

Great update!

It's running fine so far on my UFX+ on Mac.

Having Crossfeed On/Off as an ARC USB Control Key would be very useful.

Thanks for the update! Good to see UFX+ included.

Enabling delay alone seems to have minimal effect on DSP usage. Would it be possible to extend maximum delay times to make this feature even more useful? For correcting audio sync with video feeds, time-aligning in larger spaces etc.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Trommeltotti wrote:

First: Two speaker-setups, two different Room correction EQ's. When I hit "Speaker B" button it should automatically and contemporaneous change from one Room EQ to the next Room EQ. This would be a dream

That request does not make sense. Main and Speaker B use different output channels. These have their own fixed and not changing Room EQ settings. Exactly as it should and must be.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ramses wrote:

I think it would be beneficial to be able to change the size of the Room EQ Window to 200%.

This window is edited only once and then never again. You could use the OS zoom function, or change TM FX first to 200% before opening the Room EQ window. It does scale.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

bsfreq wrote:

Enabling delay alone seems to have minimal effect on DSP usage. Would it be possible to extend maximum delay times to make this feature even more useful? For correcting audio sync with video feeds, time-aligning in larger spaces etc.

This function is not about DSP load but availlabe hardware RAM.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

bsfreq wrote:

Yes, that would be great. For syncing with video feeds, ideally you would set a global delay, like a single value that would be added to the individual speaker delays.

MC wrote:
ramses wrote:

This window is edited only once and then never again. You could use the OS zoom function, or change TM FX first to 200% before opening the Room EQ window. It does scale.

OK, thanks. Scaling and 2-row mode works.
Scaling didn't work for me initially because I didn't know that I had to enable it before opening Room EQ.

WHOA!! This is such great news!!! Matthais, you made it happen!!

This update just made my day - thank you!!!!

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Looks great! Will this also come to Madiface XT?

trsme wrote:
bsfreq wrote:

Yes, that would be great. For syncing with video feeds, ideally you would set a global delay, like a single value that would be added to the individual speaker delays.

This doesn't make sense as a request given that all DAWs require a different offset.   It's always prudent to make sure the DAW is in sync with the vision, but there are often many variables along the way.

----------------
----------------

MC wrote:

Yes, of course. My bad. However, I suppose RAM could be divided too, to support longer delay times with less channels?
Currently I use the Echo on the FX block to sync audio to video, but that requires an extra I/O loop and is available for a single stereo channel only. Also, it would be much more convenient/intuitive to dial in the needed delay directly on the output block / hardware out settings.

Please at least consider this. It would definitely serve more use cases to be able to use longer delay times when needed. Even if only for a stereo channel or two.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Hi Matthias,

I noticed it is possible to configure a different delay for left and right channel separately.
Different EQ settings (the graphs) are shown in different colors as soon as you press the stereo button.
But if you configured also a different delay for L and R channel, then in stereo only one sttings is visible.
I think this should be changed, so that it is clearly visible, that the two channels have a different delay configured.

Would something like this be possible? I think it would deliver a better overview, when working with different delays per channel.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/315gzsq06kp4mdrhvbjgq/2023-11-29-Room-EQ-2-delays.jpg?rlkey=hozqjyyg57um2kuel9i14r7zq&dl=1

mattrixx wrote:

This doesn't make sense as a request given that all DAWs require a different offset.   It's always prudent to make sure the DAW is in sync with the vision, but there are often many variables along the way.

Correct if I am mistaken, but I believe this feature is called lipsync and is present in several monitor systems, including DAD's SPQ. Major DAW softwares have such facility, like Pro Tool's video sync offset, but not all have it, nor are interfaces always used with a complete DAW software, so adjusting a global delay, on top of time speaker time alignment delay, can be very convenient. Of course, if you change software, video codec etc. and other factors, the setting might need to be updated.

ramses wrote:

Hi Matthias,

I noticed it is possible to configure a different delay for left and right channel separately.
Different EQ settings (the graphs) are shown in different colors as soon as you press the stereo button.
But if you configured also a different delay for L and R channel, then in stereo only one sttings is visible.
I think this should be changed, so that it is clearly visible, that the two channels have a different delay configured.

Would something like this be possible? I think it would deliver a better overview, when working with different delays per channel.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/315gzsq06kp4mdrhvbjgq/2023-11-29-Room-EQ-2-delays.jpg?rlkey=hozqjyyg57um2kuel9i14r7zq&dl=1

I did not have enough time to test completely today, however, I noted I was able to save, individually, the Left and the Right channels as individual presets in TMFX (Saved channels 15 & 16 as my AES driven Barefoot MM27s as a test) So, as I said, didn't have time to recall, but assuming the LR, ie different outputs, although a stereo pair, were saved desperately. 
Will check in the morning,
This implementation is great so far, though it can be a bit fiddly on high res monitors when dialling in. (will provided more detailed feedback after I've had some more time with it.)

----------------
----------------

trsme wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

Correct if I am mistaken, but I believe this feature is called lipsync and is present in several monitor systems, including DAD's SPQ. Major DAW softwares have such facility, like Pro Tool's video sync offset, but not all have it, nor are interfaces always used with a complete DAW software, so adjusting a global delay, on top of time speaker time alignment delay, can be very convenient. Of course, if you change software, video codec etc. and other factors, the setting might need to be updated.

Yes, it can be convenient, however, it will be different from DAW to DAW. Non Lethal's Video SYNC 5 takes it another step further allowing you to compensate for your computer monitor, external feed to a HDMI screen and another feed, if you have one.  ie Time align all.
This is not the job of the audio driver, which, to be completely honest, is the one we want to be the shortest path. (particularly for real-time recording).
I for one, don't want to be slowing my audio driver to wait for the offset of video.  I'd rather the video to be advanced to align with the audio. (hope this all makes sense).

----------------
----------------

MC wrote:
bsfreq wrote:

So UCX II don't have enough RAM for this or ?

27 (edited by claus_k 2023-11-30 09:20:05)

SOLVED

Hello @Matthias Carstens @mc,
first of all: Thank you very much for your efforts. An EQ with more than 3 bands was realy appreciated.

Maybe it has got nothing to do with the installation of the beta but after the installation of the beta I've lost the opportunity in cubase 12 pro to choose the correct audio driver. Just the generic low latency driver occurs.
Any ideas?
Cheers, Claus

Edit: after a new re-install of the driver and a replacement of the TotalMix File everything works as required

using RME Fireface UFX II

trubadix wrote:

Same question here smile

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

claus_k wrote:

Maybe it has got nothing to do with the installation of the beta but after the installation of the beta I've lost the opportunity in cubase 12 pro to choose the correct audio driver. Just the generic low latency driver occurs.

That sounds like the firmware update caused the unit to switch to CC mode - Class Compliant. Enter the display menu in stand-alone mode and set it back to CC Off aka Auto (SETUP - Hardware Diagnosis - Interface Mode).

Is the Settings dialog still showing up? Then you might have lost only ASIO because you just now updated the windows driver (did you?). That's a different topic then. Cold reboot and unit unplug/replug needed for new registry entries to become valid.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

mattrixx wrote:

This implementation is great so far, though it can be a bit fiddly on high res monitors when dialling in. (will provided more detailed feedback after I've had some more time with it.)

Don't overlook double click and ctrl-click on the knobs!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
claus_k wrote:

That sounds like the firmware update caused the unit to switch to CC mode - Class Compliant. Enter the display menu in stand-alone mode and set it back to CC Off aka Auto (SETUP - Hardware Diagnosis - Interface Mode).

Is the Settings dialog still showing up? Then you might have lost only ASIO because you just now updated the windows driver (did you?). That's a different topic then. Cold reboot and unit unplug/replug needed for new registry entries to become valid.

SOLVED: Re-installation again solved the issue. THX!

using RME Fireface UFX II

Hi there, great update thank you! I just tried this with mu UFX ii which I use with two fireface 400s connected in and out to ADAT 1 and 2 on the UFX.

As soon as I updated the FF400 that is connected to ADAT 1 out on the UFX, lost signal and the green light indicator on the FF400 went out. That FF400 was still sending signal to UFX ADAT 1 but not receiving it.

I checked settings on the UFX and the FF400 as well as cabling but couldn't figure out what the problem was. I also tried a power cycle and eventually I rolled back to the previous UFX driver version and UFX  ADAT 1 out was back feeding the FF400.

What could be the reason for this? I suspect user error at this point and a setting that got changed in the update that I was not aware of.

Post #2.

For your case check the settings of ADAT1 as well and set it to ADAT.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Switching EQ 8 from low pass to bell generates a loud pop which may hurt.

Otherwise, the handling of the room eq window is very nice.

btw, is there a technical reason why my new FF802 FS does not support room EQ.
I was hoping so because Neumann at the moment is not supporting my 7.1.4 system.

Gruß
Reiner

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

35 (edited by AboveAndBelow 2023-11-30 21:41:27)

Hello interesting feature !

Some sort of crossover presets for Speaker A Tops / Speaker B Sub at different X frequencies could probably be useful in the Room EQ here.

MC wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

Don't overlook double click and ctrl-click on the knobs!

Aah yes, of course. Thank you.

----------------
----------------

trubadix wrote:

Is it not? I have no idea wether it’s specs would support it.

38 (edited by hselters 2023-12-01 14:27:57)

As the Room EQ is build on the existing 3-band EQ, I am guessing it should be technically possible to implement that on all interfaces which have a DSP for the FX section in Total Mix (maybe allowing fewer channels on some interfaces with smaller DSPs than the UFX+/II/III).
Certainly it will require firmware updates.

RME said before that an extended list of supported interfaces will be eventually released, so I think chances are not bad that Madiface XT (and UFX, UCX, 802...) will get it.

Not so sure if Babyface Pro can get the full implementation, as its DSP is more limited (e.g. no Dynamics and Echo and Reverb are processed on the Host-CPU).

But I am only speculating here.

39 (edited by Dmitry67 2023-12-01 19:42:18)

What about UFX users?

Hoping the actual release supports the original UFX!

We have intentionally not released any list so far, as it was unclear which units would be able to support Room EQ. Every hardware is a bit different, even if the same DSP is present...so we were hesitating to give a statement prior to having Room EQ added and as such have confirmation it's really possible.

That said what we can safely exclude (means no Room EQ):

- Fireface UFX, MADIface XT hw rev 1 (all existing units), HDSPe MADI FX hw rev 1 (firmware below 100)

- Fireface 802, UCX

- units without external DSP chip: Fireface UC, Digiface USB, Digiface AES, Babyface / Pro, all HDSPe cards (MADI FX see below), Digiface Dante, Digiface Ravenna

- ADI-2 series. DSP already maxed out (not to mention the limited number of channels...)

Products that should be able to get Room EQ* (no guarantee at this point that they do):

- MADIface XT hw rev 2, which is in development, not yet available

- HDSPe MADI FX hw rev 2, identified by firmware version 200 or higher

- Fireface 802 FS

- UCX II

* Room EQ stands for the combination of 9-band parametric equalizer, delay and crossfeed, as currently available.

We will continue to not answer or comment further questions on this topic, sorry. If there are news then they will be published.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, tnx for info.

cigame wrote:

So my new FF 802 FS will go back to Thomann on Monday.  :-(

I don't think so wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That said what we can safely exclude (means no Room EQ):

- units without external DSP chip: Fireface UC, Digiface USB, Digiface AES, Babyface / Pro, all HDSPe cards (MADI FX see below), Digiface Dante, Digiface Ravenna

* Room EQ stands for the combination of 9-band parametric equalizer, delay and crossfeed, as currently available.

Thanks for the information. I am using a Babyface Pro FS and the 3-band EQ on the output channel as a poor mens Room Correction. This already helps to be able to correct the most problematic frequencies. I understand that the full blown Room EQ as defined above can not become available. But possibly more bands can be implemented -- thus lifting the 3-band restriction? That would be already super beneficial. Even when this at the expense that one might have to decide to not be able to use the EQ on some channels, when that will allow to use more bands in another channel. :-)

The Babyface (and others) does not have a real DSP, but uses parts of the FPGA to emulate such. Works good in the boundaries that it has, but is totally inflexible for modifications and performance upgrades. So its a tripple No.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

cigame wrote:

Spent some hours yesterday with my UFX+ calibrating for 7.1.4 in my room.
Is it true that it is not possible to use ADAT 2 in SPDIF mode and AES XLR at the same time in the UFX+?

Yes, has alwawys been like that.

cigame wrote:

I think I could use this on the FF 802 FS.

Correct. UFX III and 802 FS can use the tripple SPDIF/AES input. This has already been added to the UFX II (waiting for driver support), and is in preparation for the UFX+ as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for letting us know which devices may be getting Room EQ down the road. These are FREE updates as it is, so it's not like we are owed this amazing feature. lol I do however sooo look forward to it if it does come to UCX II. Ill keep my ear to the ground waiting for updates......

A shame on the original UFX but I understand given its age, still love that I bought an interface ten years ago that I have no need to replace for the foreseeable future.

MC wrote:

Post #2.

For your case check the settings of ADAT1 as well and set it to ADAT.

Where are the settings for the UFX ii ADAT1 port? I can only see settings to change ADAT2 from ADAT to spdif. I assumed that ADAT1 out is fixed in its operational mode?

Thanks

Post #2 clearly explains that at this time the settings are only in the display menu.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME