Re: Room EQ and Crossfeed - Preview for UFX+, UFX II and UFX III owners

MC wrote:

Post #2 clearly explains that at this time the settings are only in the display menu.

Thanks you, I understand now.

Thank you and congrats on the update, RME. My foremost question is about the EQ's compatibility with the filter values generated by Room EQ Wizard (REW). These can be set to "Generic" which are compatible with EQAPO and exported as either text or impulse response. I'm sure you've seen these types of information:

Filter  1: ON  PK       Fc   66.20 Hz  Gain  -3.60 dB  Q  6.795

Maybe I'm misinformed but I'm under the impression that each EQ may vary in how it implements Q. This could be a small issue but, fundamentally, is the RME EQ sufficiently equivalent to those created by REW or implemented in EQAPO or is this too small of an issue to be worth discussing?

Related to that, it seems we will have to manually enter in the EQ values - is that the case? I guess nine filters won't break anyone's fingers but some kind of, again, compatibility with generated text or .wav impulses would simplify the process of setting this up for the end user and reduce error.

Thanks again and I hope the UCX II will have this new feature so I can take hopeful solace since my BFPFS won't be updated smile

Hi guys
What`s about the bass/speaker management in this new RME feature? I am planning to work in Dolby Atmos, therefore looking for some alternatives for AVID interfaces, with their SPQ speaker management system
Does RME allow to do something similar now?

That's a great feature to be added to the UFX family.
A request would be to add an integration in TotalMix for https://autoeq.app. This so to load Headphones settings dynamically and keep consistency with perhaps the most comprehensive of aggregated PEQs available online.

55 (edited by paulnajar 2023-12-07 22:17:13)

alexproshak, bass management is there now.

route all playback channels to mono/ stereo output feeding sub/s at -6dB. Eq and delay output if required, measure room with calibration mic and appropriate software to set final output volume of sub, group output fader into multi channel fader volume group.
You’re done.

Also wanted to say congratulations to Matthias and the RME team for an incredible value add. We knew this was coming but maybe not so soon. Good work.

While I fully intend to upgrade to UFX lll next year, for now I am still so very happy with Madiface USB feeding ADI 648 which feeds 3 x Cranborne Adat500 racks and original UFX which feeds ADI-2 Pro FS R over AES. Room EQ and delays live on Logic’s master bus for now but Totalmix is coming for them:-)

Kind regards

57 (edited by mattrixx 2023-12-08 07:22:43)

These EQs are fantastic Matthias!!
I've found a couple of potential issues however, for which I've not found a workaround. 
It may be just my workflow. ie I use Ground Control SPHERE in conjunction with Totalmix for various workflows in ATMOS.

1. It's seems that when any one of the "Room EQ's" is not being used, or bypassed, the "Gain" and "Delay" settings still remain.
2. When a Room EQ is bypassed in anything other than the AES outs (my main stereo monitors), the orange tab turns off, indicating it is turned off. However, all other outputs indicate that the Room EQ is on, even when turned off.  (also, the little wrench symbol is displaying the opposite of its current status when the channel is collapsed.)
I hope I am kinda making sense

Are these something that just hasn't made it into the code, in the beta?

Regards,
Matt

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

From post 1:

The Room EQ button in any output channel's Settings panel is lit when any of the functions in the Room EQ window are activated. For Delay that means not 0 ms, for VolCal not 0 dB.

The On/Off button on top is PEQ only. Easy to see when toggling as Delay/VolCal do not get greyed out.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

59 (edited by midifail 2023-12-10 20:13:50)

Thank you for this awesome additions!
Crossfeed sounds great on my UFX+ with DT 880 Pro / NDH 30 - last Argument for an external Headphone-Amp just died... :-D
Room EQ is nice to have, too.

Really appreciate you keeping up on updating Devices out of Production!

Frequently in use:
Fireface UFX+, Fireface 800 (as a AD/DA-Converter) and an old RME Sweater... ;-)

MC wrote:

From post 1:

The Room EQ button in any output channel's Settings panel is lit when any of the functions in the Room EQ window are activated. For Delay that means not 0 ms, for VolCal not 0 dB.

The On/Off button on top is PEQ only. Easy to see when toggling as Delay/VolCal do not get greyed out.

Ah, yes, that makes sense. So best way to Enable / Disable all, is using the "W" Workspace Quick Select, yeah?

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Yeah. wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello guys, I'm new here but I read regularly. I would like to contribute the following: For example, people with mild/moderate hearing loss can compensate for frequency problems in a stereo setup. At least in an approximate quality. This opens up completely new possibilities, also for RME. So it would be great if devices that could have an upgrade were also upgraded. By the way, this is an edge case until you are affected by it.

MC wrote:

We have intentionally not released any list so far, as it was unclear which units would be able to support Room EQ. Every hardware is a bit different, even if the same DSP is present...so we were hesitating to give a statement prior to having Room EQ added and as such have confirmation it's really possible.

That said what we can safely exclude (means no Room EQ):

- Fireface UFX, MADIface XT hw rev 1 (all existing units), HDSPe MADI FX hw rev 1 (firmware below 100)

- Fireface 802, UCX

- units without external DSP chip: Fireface UC, Digiface USB, Digiface AES, Babyface / Pro, all HDSPe cards (MADI FX see below), Digiface Dante, Digiface Ravenna

- ADI-2 series. DSP already maxed out (not to mention the limited number of channels...)

Products that should be able to get Room EQ* (no guarantee at this point that they do):

- MADIface XT hw rev 2, which is in development, not yet available

- HDSPe MADI FX hw rev 2, identified by firmware version 200 or higher

- Fireface 802 FS

- UCX II

* Room EQ stands for the combination of 9-band parametric equalizer, delay and crossfeed, as currently available.

We will continue to not answer or comment further questions on this topic, sorry. If there are news then they will be published.

Hi, if a HDSPe MADI FX card is labeled Rev 1.2 on it, does that mean it will or will not work with the future room correction? I tried looking up pictures of different cards but couldnt find any cards that have Rev 2 printed on them. Thank you.

Rev 2 cards with that print do exist...all photos existing most probably show the former cards.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Rev 2 cards with that print do exist...all photos existing most probably show the former cards.

I see. So I will have to purchase a rev2 card to get the room correction in the future?

Alternatively, I currently run an Antelope Orion 32hd via madi into an hdspe madi fx. Is there a way to integrate a ufx iii via madi to the second slot of the hdspe madi fx so I can use the room correction on the ufx? Or does that set up only use the DSP from the madi fx v1.2?

Just trying to weigh my options here as I really need the room correction software.

Hi,

Congrats for these new features. Love the RoomEQ.

I encountered a few problems on my UFX II so I thought I would share them here.

Situation : I've got a few synths connected on an EVO SP8, and some guitar pedals.

I installed the new firmware provided in the first post.

Two problems appeared :

• The ADAT sync seemed not stable : it changed every few seconds from "sync" to "lock". Didn't hear any effect on the sound though.

• (Not 100% sure as I might have touched something else) : the ADAT OUT seemed to be working but the EVO SP8 didn't see any signal in ADAT IN

Reverting to the previous firmware solved those problems. Also, setting the RME in "slave" with the EVO SP8 in "master" did allow for a perfect synchronization.

Oh and a question : I reverted the firmware to the previous version but not TotalMix. Will the "RoomEQ" still work or do I have to reinstall TotalMix too ?

Great update nonetheless smile !

Thanks,

Adrien

67 (edited by adguy31 2023-12-23 06:28:40)

So as someone new to TotalMix (only a couple months of using) how am I supposed to EQ my room via TotalMix?  Also, I have Sonarworks and their software and have calibrated/EQ'ed my room with their software/process.  Is there any way I can use the calibration EQ I just created and import that into TotalMix?  I am sure this is an easy fix but I am clearly missing something.

Thanks!

PS - Buying the RME Fireface III was one of the best decisions I've made for the studio.

There is currently no import function for the Room EQ in Total Mix. You will need to dial in the parameters by hand for each output channel.

Sonarworks currently only supports exports for devices by other companies, like some DAD and Avid interfaces or Adam loudspeakers.
You could try measuring and exporting profiles for those. Then open that exported file in a text editor and you might see the needed values which you could manually enter in Total Mix. The number of available bands will probably not match to the 9 bands available in Total Mix. E.g. DAD has more than 9 bands (in this video I see between 12-15, it probably depends also on what is needed to correct your room, Adam speakers might have less).
https://soundid-reference.support.sonar … processing

You could just skip some of the less dramatic ones then, especially those with lower dB values... Or try the ADAM export which maybe has less bands (it looks like 6 to me...)
https://soundid-reference.support.sonar … s-speakers

A software like Room EQ wizard might be better to generate 9 band eq curves for Total Mix, but I haven't looked into it...
http://www.roomeqwizard.com

Would be great if RME would collaborate with Sonarworks, supporting their easy to use measurement software and/or release some tutorials on how to do it in Room EQ Wizard.

Additional functionality is always appreciated.

However, simple parametric room eq works only in one spot, standing waves generally cause large spatial variations (see work by Todd Welti, Harman International). Proper bass alignment calls for amplitude and phase measurements (see Bob McCarthy) and is not straight forward in small rooms, eg home listening spaces. Dirac is probably the most straight forward and advanced approach to full range speaker alignment.

Similarly, HRTFs are complex and depend on anthropometric differences. Apps like Waves NX provide pretty realistic sound reproduction through headphones including head size, eq, and tracking.

If crossovers are included eq and delay may indeed be very useful to manage active speaker systems !

70 (edited by Hexspa 2024-01-04 22:48:59)

Soundwunder wrote:

Additional functionality is always appreciated.

However, simple parametric room eq works only in one spot, standing waves generally cause large spatial variations (see work by Todd Welti, Harman International). Proper bass alignment calls for amplitude and phase measurements (see Bob McCarthy) and is not straight forward in small rooms, eg home listening spaces. Dirac is probably the most straight forward and advanced approach to full range speaker alignment.

Similarly, HRTFs are complex and depend on anthropometric differences. Apps like Waves NX provide pretty realistic sound reproduction through headphones including head size, eq, and tracking.

If crossovers are included eq and delay may indeed be very useful to manage active speaker systems !

I can speak on small room acoustics and applying EQ to a bass managed system with one subwoofer. It’s true that the minimum phase element of applying EQ to contradict ringing is only valid per-point. However, applying EQ to a single response or averaged group of responses is still valid. The smaller the area you need to correct, the less compromise you’ll need to make. If you look at a certain EBU specification**, among others, you’ll see that they advise measuring in a listening _area_ and not a single point. How big this area is depends on whether it’s a single “king seat” or several rows of bench seating for a theater. The former can receive more nuanced correction without compromise than the latter. By compromise I mean tempering the magnitude of equalization as to avoid pushing adjacent areas out of spec which happens if, say, you subtract a peak at MLP which worsens a null 1/4 wavelength away. If one needs a more linear bass response over a greater area then multiple subwoofers are needed.

The point I’m making is saying “simple parametric EQ only works in one spot” is pedantic yet incomplete of a statement. If a user has a Main Listening Position then they can measure a small listening area of about a meter diameter or less, average it, then apply subtractive EQ to the lowest frequencies with minimal penalty. In the event they need to manage a larger listening area, they can add multiple subwoofers but, as far as I know, even with then there will always be some points in the listening area which will be more “to spec” than others. You may not be able to negate all ringing this way but you can improve your amplitude response to a significant degree.

Also, aligning a single subwoofer to two stereo speakers in a small room is, without doubt, a straightforward process. Phase measurements are not needed. My subwoofer has a just a polarity invert switch and that’s all I’ve required. Some subs have a potentiometer - just twist and check the amplitude response at the crossover band. You can look at this manual for the Genelec 7360A subwoofer for a simplified graphic of how various phase combinations affect integration: https: //assets.ctfassets .net/4zjnzn055a4v/2xfj0AkjCUMkM4msUE0Aiw/abf7c0a2fe9860608d89b063fe51254c/7360_and_7370_op-man_a_0.pdf (remove spaces)

**https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3276.pdf

Polarity switch (+/-180deg) is a first order approximation at best. Please check this:
https://www.merlijnvanveen.nl/en/study- … ute-method
(applies to any sound system/stereo/cinema etc)
the cited references, or Dirac website for further clarification. The potentiometer operates a digital delay. Genelec make really smart speakers.

In the past I aligned countless sound systems using SMAART, Waves Tract and other tools. Dirac offers a superb and elegant way to the ultimate bass response and full range optimization. Dirac generates complex filters that address phase and amplitude and minimize spatial variations, ringing and booming bass. Stereo imaging improves also dramatically. Enjoy!

72 (edited by Hexspa 2024-01-06 22:29:32)

Soundwunder wrote:

Polarity switch (+/-180deg) is a first order approximation at best. Please check this:
https://www.merlijnvanveen.nl/en/study- … ute-method
(applies to any sound system/stereo/cinema etc)
the cited references, or Dirac website for further clarification. The potentiometer operates a digital delay. Genelec make really smart speakers.

In the past I aligned countless sound systems using SMAART, Waves Tract and other tools. Dirac offers a superb and elegant way to the ultimate bass response and full range optimization. Dirac generates complex filters that address phase and amplitude and minimize spatial variations, ringing and booming bass. Stereo imaging improves also dramatically. Enjoy!

Let me preface that I’ve not used Dirac or Sonarworks. I’ve only used Room EQ Wizard with Equalizer APO. An article I read by Ethan Winer put me off trying these expensive products:

http://ethanwiner.com/dirac/dirac.htm

But back to my reply:

The instructions in your link seem complicated and I don’t see much point if you can get a flat enough join between sub and mains without it.

Yes, of course, everyone on the internet is an expert. I’m sure you have experience but Dirac, which you really are promoting here, is expensive and I’ve never needed it. Also, any claims that it reduces ringing or “booming bass” is probably overblown since those matters are best handled by plain old absorbers. Remember what you said about “per-point”? Yeah, nobody is sitting with their head in a vice.

EQ, phase alignment, etc, are all best handled after positioning and absorption is there. Dirac and other DSP solutions like Sonarworks seem to promise the moon and deliver much less and I don’t think most people need it.

I’m content to leave this on disagree. All I ask is for anyone who is undecided to just align their sub and mains with simple polarity or the phase pot and delay if available then apply EQ. Assuming they’ve done all they can in terms of complimentary positioning then they can look into premium DSP products if they want them. For your average home studio person, they’re not needed.

Today I had to calibrate my monitors. This is done with no phase information although I did high pass the monitors which could shift the phase a bit. Even so, all I aimed for was flatness at the crossover band. This is post EQ generated by REW which I don’t think incorporates any phase adjustments:

https://imgur.com/gallery/BQv1u4I

+- 4dB from 32-200Hz in-room is not too shabby!

It seems Ethan Winer is associated with RealTraps. Did you check the price tag on those traps? In fact several manufactures of traps promise the moon and deliver much less (not even independent certified specs). Please check text books on acoustics; low frequency absorption generally requires huge volumes and high surface coverage!

Dirac is science based, great physics and math at work. Performance can be heard and measured. As with any other product, best operation may require some testing and verification like operation mode, number of measurements, spacing of mic positions.  Nevertheless, operation is straight forward and suitable for everyone. Recently, Dirac introduced Bass Control giving even better results! In my view this is the single best upgrade.

I am not associated with Dirac.

74 (edited by Hexspa 2024-01-08 16:02:44)

Soundwunder wrote:

It seems Ethan Winer is associated with RealTraps. Did you check the price tag on those traps? In fact several manufactures of traps promise the moon and deliver much less (not even independent certified specs). Please check text books on acoustics; low frequency absorption generally requires huge volumes and high surface coverage!

Dirac is science based, great physics and math at work. Performance can be heard and measured. As with any other product, best operation may require some testing and verification like operation mode, number of measurements, spacing of mic positions.  Nevertheless, operation is straight forward and suitable for everyone. Recently, Dirac introduced Bass Control giving even better results! In my view this is the single best upgrade.

I am not associated with Dirac.

Yeah Ethan founded the company but I think he sold it. But anyone can build absorbers from a number of insulation types, which is what I’ve done. He even encourages this himself.

How about you ask whether I’ve read any texts in acoustics before making a reading list? I’ve read, my DSP-worshipping friend, believe that.

An important note to make is that reading acoustics materials is just a start. There’s plenty of room for disagreement and many ‘accepted truths’ are unquantified and or misleading.

For example, Dr. Earl Geddes is quoted* to have said, “…one does not want high room damping at the higher frequencies because that will destroy the spaciousness.” First of all, what is “high damping” in numerical terms and second, why do you want your room coloring the sound of the audio you’re listening to? I haven’t tested this myself but Ethan has argued that, for example, listening to concert music, recorded in a big hall, in a small reflective room will make the recording sound smaller, not larger.

Anyway, there are many cases like this where either the information is incomplete or not applicable for certain scenarios. For this reason, one is best served by studying materials as a reference but then reasoning for oneself - preferably with measurements - to arrive at tailored solutions.

“low frequency absorption generally requires huge volumes and high surface coverage!”

I’d ask you to quantify that statement but I’ll assume you’ll come up with misleading numbers. In my room, I might have 15% coverage of panels with thicknesses ranging from 6-24”. The notion you need 1/4 wavelength-thick panels down to 16Hz is misleading and false. Thinner panels absorb to lower frequencies and at least one reference** only specifies decay times above ~63Hz. Couple all this together and I’ve refuted your vague statement.

Forget Ethan, I speak on my own authority. I’m well-referenced and produce measurable results in accordance with industry standards. Dirac is no substitute for broadband absorption.

In my model, DSP is the final step. If it is your only step, you’re leaving improvement on the table.

/responses to this line of conversation.

*https://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

**https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3276.pdf

'In my model, DSP is the final step. If it is your only step, you’re leaving improvement on the table.'

I did not mean to elaborate on this in that depth. But I use plenty of passive absorbers in my listening space. On top I use Dirac.

Interestingly enough, I made a requested to RME for eq and delay in TM more than ten years ago ;-) It finally arrived!

Let's continue here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38691

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME