Topic: m1610 Flashing red error light - stream 1

Hey guys

New owner of m1610.

I got it working streaming audio via AVB to/from a direct connection to my mac after a few macos ATDECC challenges and a locked stream.

But now I have a flashing red power button indicating a stream error on listener stream 1 (the Input tab is red and the first ethernet icon is red) - however I'm having no trouble receiving audio on that stream and other streams and so I don't know what the error is or what to try to correct!

Any ideas please?

Cheers

Re: m1610 Flashing red error light - stream 1

Incidently, in the m1610 entitity config panel I see various 'errors' along the lines of:

Input stream 0 of m1610-pro has an SRP error at XEROX CORPORATION 0x0000 No Failure

These appear when I enable matrix crosspoints between mac output and 1610 input

My firmware is: fw_ms_2.1.2_v69 m1610 20210510-13H05M

The plot thickens.

I can only send from my mac to the 1610 on streams 1,5,6,7,8
Streams 2,3,4 say "no data" in web config panel, but they are set up identically in the config as far as I can see, and there are no visible differences in the macos ATDECC controller.

One last observation is that when I enable the crosspoints (mac out -> 1610 in) on the ATDECC controller I the streams turn red on the 1610 - but only streams 1,2 and 3. If all the cross points are eight streams appear green on theweb interface.

Happy to post some screenshots if there's some way to do that?

Hi matta,

your firmware is ancient! Please update to the current one (2.5.1). Easiest way is to click the gear icon in the web interface, "Check for new updates", "Download firmware version 2.5.1". Then "Select .swu Firmware File" with this image.

Best regards
Marc

Marc S wrote:

Hi matta,

your firmware is ancient! Please update to the current one (2.5.1). Easiest way is to click the gear icon in the web interface, "Check for new updates", "Download firmware version 2.5.1". Then "Select .swu Firmware File" with this image.

Best regards
Marc

Hey Marc

Thanks for the tip! It's a brand new unit so I'm hoping it's not ancient...

Anyway, I clicked on "check for updates" but nothing happened so I assumed I was on the latest version.

6 (edited by matta 2023-11-20 11:07:45)

After the update I have different errors:

The front panel LED is now alternating between red, white and off as opposed to just red and off

On the web UI the stream indicators are also flashing - switching betweeen all green and then a mixture of red and cream (red on streams 1-3, cream on switches 4-8)

As before, there are no perceivable differences between the configs of any particular stream - they are all set to the same data type, ch count and sample rate.

Another annoying thing - when I reboot my mac I lose all my channel routings - is there a solution for that?

Hi,

just a quick note before we dive into the details: We don't support the direct connection to MacOS officially yet. It works for many people, us included, but Apple hasn't decided to join the Milan initiative (yet) and we thus their interpretation of the AVB standard can change at any time. This is why we cannot guarantee that it works in every setup with every version. However, we try our best to make it work and are in contact with Apple to improve this situation.

Can you please post a screen shot from the web interface's "main screen" and then one with the input streams settings dialog open (open a stream port, click on the gear icon).
My best guess is that the streams are set up just fine, but there's something wrong with the clocking, leading to "lock" but "no sync". Or, if the Mac doesn't receive a valid clock, it won't start playback, so "no lock".

Which MacOS version do you have installed by the way?

And what do you mean by "lose ... channel routings"? Channel routing in the M-1610 web interface? Or *stream* connections in MacOS' ATDECC controller?

Marc S wrote:

Hi,

just a quick note before we dive into the details: We don't support the direct connection to MacOS officially yet. It works for many people, us included, but Apple hasn't decided to join the Milan initiative (yet) and we thus their interpretation of the AVB standard can change at any time. This is why we cannot guarantee that it works in every setup with every version. However, we try our best to make it work and are in contact with Apple to improve this situation.

Can you please post a screen shot from the web interface's "main screen" and then one with the input streams settings dialog open (open a stream port, click on the gear icon).
My best guess is that the streams are set up just fine, but there's something wrong with the clocking, leading to "lock" but "no sync". Or, if the Mac doesn't receive a valid clock, it won't start playback, so "no lock".

Which MacOS version do you have installed by the way?

And what do you mean by "lose ... channel routings"? Channel routing in the M-1610 web interface? Or *stream* connections in MacOS' ATDECC controller?

Sad to hear about Apple not joining Milan yet. Seems like an obvious thing to do...

It is a clocking issue - thanks for the hint smile

Selecting stream 1 from the mac makes the flashing go away and all audio stream connections go green but of course the clock AVB CRF clock streams are disabled.

On macos (ventura 13.5) I see many clock options (IEC & AAF at vaious frequencies) to send but on the 1610 I see only two (CRF audio 96 @ 48k and 44.1k). I've tried various seemingly sensible combos but I get no matching format so get an error and a red square on the mac ATDECC matrix.

My plan was to use the mac as the master clock - I will occasionally need to create aggregate devices I think, so I think how to set up that stream is all I currently need?

I'm curious as to why RME hasn't made their own ATDECC controller for their interfaces?

Oh re: lost matrix selections - this is when viewed in the macos ATDECC matrix view. All the green ticks disappear on reboot of the mac which means reticking them on each reboot. Is this resolvable to your knowledge? Pretty sure if RME had their own controller, these sorts of things could be handled much more nicely!

Sounds like a big step forward, great!
Using the Mac to provide the clock master didn't work great in the past, but with Ventura it should be alright. Aggregate devices surely are an argument in favor of that.

MacOS doesn't support CRF for clocking, but 1 channel AAF streams. So what I'm doing is to dedicate in-/output stream 7 to clocking and set it accordingly. Of course that requires that you have enough spare streams.

Lost connections: MacOS is pretty possessive when it comes to stream reconnections. Milan requires that each Listener reconnect its streams, whereas the MacOS controller tries to reconnect both Talker and Listeners, but only if that controller set it up in the first place. This doesn't play well with others controllers (e.g. Hive), so that's not really a solution.
I figured that the newest MacOS, Sonoma, works way better in that regard. Nonetheless, you can help having them look into it if you file a bug report at Apple using their "Feedback Assistant".

Marc S wrote:

Sounds like a big step forward, great!
Using the Mac to provide the clock master didn't work great in the past, but with Ventura it should be alright. Aggregate devices surely are an argument in favor of that.

MacOS doesn't support CRF for clocking, but 1 channel AAF streams. So what I'm doing is to dedicate in-/output stream 7 to clocking and set it accordingly. Of course that requires that you have enough spare streams.

Lost connections: MacOS is pretty possessive when it comes to stream reconnections. Milan requires that each Listener reconnect its streams, whereas the MacOS controller tries to reconnect both Talker and Listeners, but only if that controller set it up in the first place. This doesn't play well with others controllers (e.g. Hive), so that's not really a solution.
I figured that the newest MacOS, Sonoma, works way better in that regard. Nonetheless, you can help having them look into it if you file a bug report at Apple using their "Feedback Assistant".

Hey Marc

Ok good to know re mac+CRF streams because I pretty much tried every permutation.

FTR: I am only using the macos ATDECC controller for configuration at this point - in the brief time I tried Hive I got more crashes or blocking modal popups than I could be bothered with.

So what's the downside of clocking the 1610 off my audio input stream 1 and just leaving it like that? It's a few years since I played with AVB networks so I've forgotten these details.

I may need the other streams once I use the MADI port on the 1610 but I'm not sure yet...

From a technical perspective both works just fine. It's a conceptional thing, really.
Milan requires that each device has dedicated CRF in- and outputs (there are some exceptions for very, very simple devices). This way, you can choose a clock master and set up your clocking stream once. And then don't bother with it anymore - Audio routing is totatally independent from clocking, like word clock distribution in the old days.
If your setup rarely changes, or you only have 2 or 3 devices to start with, using the audio streams for clocking will work just as well.