Topic: Recovering broken recording

Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else, I was unable to find a similar topic so I am making a new one.

I recently recorded our live set in DigiCheck, recording one mono and one stereo channel. Everything was alright and going smoothly, until the changeover. We had to quickly make room for the next performer and the venue crew accidentally cut the power to my UFX before i could stop Digicheck recording and save the files. I have been able to make a backup copy of the temporary Digicheck file, however, when reloading it in Digicheck, It only exports the mono channel, while the stereo seems to be lost. The file size however seems consistent with the fact that there are 2 more audio streams in it, since it is 3x as big as the exported mono.

My question now is, are there any options for me to retrieve the stereo part of the recording from the file. I have tried importing it into Audacity as raw data, with different import settings, however none seems to open the file in a way that would enable me to extract the missing two 48kHz/24bit streams.

Thank you for your support.

Re: Recovering broken recording

I would try to open it with VLC, just a try

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Sorry but, how would opening in VLC work? I have a .$av file, that is a temporary recording file made by Digicheck, VLC has absolutely no idea what to do with such a file. And even if it did, i would still need to save/export the file, which as far as i know is not something VLC can do.

4 (edited by waedi 2023-11-20 15:00:46)

VLC can open almost every media file and can export to stream or export to file / folder.
It's "convert" and save as file.
No guarantee it will work, it's just the first thing I would try

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Off the top of my head, have you tried renaming a copy of the file into *.wav and trying it with software that can handle multitrack files?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

6 (edited by S-E Hansson 2023-11-20 21:17:20)

Try with WaveLab, Cubase, Reaper, Audacity, RME Wav File Batch Processor and more apps!
turn down gain to low if noise is hiding in the audio...
don't give up ;-)

regards S-EH

No need to. Missing headers added, the recording is usable again. How much is a different story.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME