1 (edited by lateralus 2023-11-30 15:34:03)

Topic: Bug: VirtualDub2 won't connect any Fireface input WDM device

Hello! I have recently upgraded to a Fireface UCX II after using a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 for years. Happy to be onboard with RME!

I have an issue with VirtualDub2 (latest version - build 44282) failed to connect to any Fireface WDM device, currently on Windows 11 23H2. I know this software is old with spotty support, but it is necessary for my lossless video capture workflow: I use a separate capture card for video, and audio through line-in on the interface, and the two are synced for the capture. Direct HW captures are limited to 16-bit due to software limitations, so capturing at 24-bit must use a WDM device.

But this post isn't necessarily about the software as the the issue appears to be specific to this interface and medium. All of the expected audio capture devices appear properly in VirtualDub2:

https://i.ibb.co/vHKTd9v/vdub2-input-list.png

Audio capture fully works with my old Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 using both the wc9601_8212 WDM device (which corresponds to line in 3+4) and the line in 3+4 device as well. The Fireface works using Analog 5+6 @ 16-bit, but selecting any of the Fireface WDM devices shows the following error in the log:

[!] CapDShow: Failed to build filter graph: connect audio null renderer (error code: 80040217, VFW_E_CANNOT_CONNECT)

I naively attempted to dig into the VirtualDub2 code to understand the process and what filter it was using, and while understanding it was way above my head, I was able to simulate the same issue using GraphEdit and the DirectShow Dump filter. Attempting to connect either output pin on the Fireface WDM Streaming Capture filter to the input pin of the Dump filter throws this same error code, yet the other devices I've mentioned including the Fireface audio capture filter can be connected successfully:

https://i.ibb.co/J763C43/graphedit-pins.png

Here's what else I've tried:
1. Disabling audio enhancements entirely in the settings.
2. Setting as default sound device.
3. Toggling the exclusive lock options.
4. Reinstalling the latest drivers.
5. Flashing the latest firmware.

Apologies for any incorrect terminology. I'm also very new to TotalMix and haven't dug into it to the degree I should have so I may have missed some functionality there. Also, if this isn't the right area to post this, please let me know. Otherwise I've been digging into this issue for a while and am at an impasse, so any ideas or insight on allowing these WDM devices to get connected would be much appreciated!

Re: Bug: VirtualDub2 won't connect any Fireface input WDM device

Bumping (is that against the rules?) as I haven't heard back from support yet and am out of ideas. Anyone have any insight, or any ideas for me to test or check? Just really not sure where to go from here, which means my project is completely stalled until I hear back from support and / or a fix comes with a new driver / firmware update.

Updated to the latest driver (2024-01-17) and flashed the latest firmware (2024-03-28) for the UCX II yet the same issue is still present. Love the interface otherwise, but this single issue is blocking all progress for my lossless video capture workflow. Not sure what to do besides patiently wait for longer, and hope that support is tracking on it, as I still haven't heard back. Open to any ideas at all.

Instead of number 1 can you select number 14 ?

https://i.ibb.co/vHKTd9v/vdub2-input-list.png

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Instead of number 1 can you select number 14 ?

Yes, but no sound gets captured and this leads to the same error I mentioned in the VDub2 log:

[!] CapDShow: Failed to build filter graph: connect audio null renderer (error code: 80040217, VFW_E_CANNOT_CONNECT)

#14 (or #15) is indeed the device I want to connect, as it should capture the system bit depth / sample rate (allowing 24-bit / 96 kHz audio to be captured) like my old Focusrite Scarlett interface.

Scarlett is a small interface with only a few channels and the Fireface is a huge multichannel interface.
The software needs to be made for multichannel interfaces.
This VDub seems to be very limited.
You may have to select the interface in Windows audio system prior to use VDub.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Scarlett is a small interface with only a few channels and the Fireface is a huge multichannel interface.
The software needs to be made for multichannel interfaces.
This VDub seems to be very limited.
You may have to select the interface in Windows audio system prior to use VDub.

Thanks, and I understand. It would definitely be preferable for VDub2 to support it directly, but there is very little progress over the last 5 years. When you say select the interface, do you mean choosing the channel pair as a recording device in System? I have done this already, no difference unfortunately.

From my limited understanding, VDub2 enumerates and takes control of capture devices building out the graph directly (DirectSound and WDM); in the screenshot showing the list of devices, the Scarlett channels are listed as #2 and #3 (Analogue 1+2, Analogue 3+4 Focusrite USB Audio) for DirectSound, and #22 and #23 (wc9001_8212, wc9000_8212). All of those capture audio correctly. And audio is captured connecting via DirectSound on any UCX II inputs. So there is some issue with VDub2 connecting specifically to the UCX II via WDM only.

I just don't know if I'm missing some setting with TotalMix or if drivers could be updated to fix this.