Topic: HDSPe AIO user, had to migrate to an non-PCI Mac, absolutely lost

Hi All,

I'm so lost I'm not sure I'm even going to ask the right questions.  I sent a note to local support but I guess I'll try here.  I've been using the AIO card for a decade in an old Mac Pro that has gotten very flakey.  I bought a new Mac Studio (OS14) and found a Sonnet Echo Express SEII thunderbolt 2 chassis that I can find internet accounts was tested to work with this card.  I'm using an Apple T3 to T2 adapter and my computer sees the chassis and the chassis reports the presence of a card. 

Before moving to the new setup I flashed the AIO card to FW14.  I downloaded the latest driver and it installed, did the little dance with security & privacy permissions, HDSPe Setting and TotalMix are both installed - neither works.  Totalmix loads but doesn't see the card, Settings will open once after install and report no connection then won't open again.  I've been searching the RME site and google for an hour and going in circles on what I might be missing.  I tried downloading the firmware flash tool again and it won't open at all.  I can't find any official instructions that indicate an error on my part and I can't piece together what I'm reading on the forum to an informal solution either.

Is Sonoma not a supported OS yet?  Are there known issues with this card/drivers with my config?  Does it seem like my chassis isn't, or shouldn't, be working?

Re: HDSPe AIO user, had to migrate to an non-PCI Mac, absolutely lost

With latest driver you mean the hdspe 424 ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by BJosephs 2023-11-30 05:10:45)

waedi wrote:

With latest driver you mean the hdspe 424 ?

No.  I used the one with the most recent release date - 1.11 listed for Mac OS 12 and up.  It doesn't say anywhere that it's not for apple silicon.  The line below is the 4.24 you alerted me to and it lists M1.  I repeated the process with this file and things look good now.  Card is seen, apps load, mixer appears to be working. 

Thanks you so very much for replying.  I needed a win tonight.

BJosephs wrote:

Before moving to the new setup I flashed the AIO card to FW14.

That is the legacy firmware that will not work with DriverKit driver 1.11. As listed in the readme of the firmware update tool. You need 201 for it to work. Same app, just one checkbox...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
BJosephs wrote:

Before moving to the new setup I flashed the AIO card to FW14.

That is the legacy firmware that will not work with DriverKit driver 1.11. As listed in the readme of the firmware update tool. You need 201 for it to work. Same app, just one checkbox...

True but it was not clear to me while working though this.  I went through the website’s drop downs and and got to a firmware/driver with a recent release date.  I opened the updater thinking 14 was right and in retrospect it seems to have been.  It was the association to a driver type that was the issue.  Am I supposed to know the distinction between a “Driver kit” and “kernal extension driver”?  KED says it supports M1 but the DK doesn’t say it doesn’t if that makes sense.  So I didn’t scroll down for more options.

IMHO, someone at RME needs to restructure this menu as: what OS > what processor hardware platform > ok [this] driver works there > and for that config you need [this] firmware on your interface first. 

After all that I still feel the need to confirm: 4.24 with FW14 is the correct combination for Apple Silicon with OS14, yes?  Things appeared to be working last night but I didn’t have time for thorough testing.

You can still use the older driver architecture (4.24) with the latest OS, but that will change in the future. Then you need to use DriverKit (1.11). And it makes sense to already now update the firmware, as the 4.24 also runs with v201, but macOS does not allow you to update the firmware once driver 4.14 is no longer allowed to run.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You can still use the older driver architecture (4.24) with the latest OS, but that will change in the future. Then you need to use DriverKit (1.11). And it makes sense to already now update the firmware, as the 4.24 also runs with v201, but macOS does not allow you to update the firmware once driver 4.14 is no longer allowed to run.

Advise taken.  I've flashed to v201 and am now on the DriverKit 1.11.  Thanks again.