Topic: TotalMix: Route ADAT-in & USB-in to ADAT-out

Aim here is to route, on a babyface, the ADAT input (on babyface) to the ADAT output (on babyface)

I have my USB-in to ADAT output working, now I need to mix down the USB-in & ADAT-in together per channel and send per channel to the ADAT output.

Any pointers here appreciated, as I’m stuck.

2 (edited by rafal 2023-12-07 23:52:41)

Re: TotalMix: Route ADAT-in & USB-in to ADAT-out

OK - some more information:

When connected to totalmix on OSX via USB it works, after patching the matrix.

But when not connected to osx, but it is powered up it no longer passes through the ADAT from input to output.
And when in Class Complient mode, it also no longer passes through the ADAT from input to output

Original Babyface / fw:v266. Driver: v3.28 B

3 (edited by waedi 2023-12-08 00:05:32)

"not connected to computer but it is powered" this situation is so called stand-alone-mode.
The user manual describes this in many details.
One detail important for you, in standalone the Adat is reduced to only the first two channels, 1/2.
You can use the buttons on the Babyface to make the routing.
From page 90 user manual :

The input signals can be routed/mixed to the outputs by activating the unit’s Mix mode:

 Use OUT to select the desired output
 Use IN to select the input with the desired signal source
 Push MIX. The input LEDs start to flash.
 Use SELECT to choose between left, right or both input channels
 Turn the big knob to set the actual monitoring/routing level
 Continue with all inputs and outputs as you wish

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

4 (edited by rafal 2023-12-08 01:11:56)

Hi Waedi,

Thanks for the reply.. I'm on the old Babyface, so I dot think I have a mix mode.
i.e. this manual https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/bface_e.pdf

Is ADAT input limited to 2channels when in Class Compliant mode? I can't get any ADAT input to work when in CC mode.
When in Class Compliant mode with the usb of the babface connected to a Maschine+, the ADAT out 8 channels works great.

Indeed the user manual of the original babyface does not cover your demand, therefor I think it's not possible.

6 (edited by rafal 2023-12-09 22:53:36)

Good to know thanks.

Looks like I need a digifaceUSB or something with two ADAT ins and one ADAT out and class compliant usb.

AFAIK (summery for others):

Some 'Class Compliant' devices when attached to the babyface via USB keep the interface in 'standalone mode' and ADAT input is limited
* with the Maschine + (fw 0.1.9) connected via USB, x8 ADAT outs work ok but with the RME babyface gen.1 ADAT in does not work at all. Although the manual for babyface v>gen.1 indicates that x2 chan ADAT input is possible, but I have not tested this.
* with the Push 3 and an iPad - a quick test with the RME babyface gen.1 in 'Class Compliant mode', indicates: x8 chan ADAT in and x8 out works fine with an iOS. (tested with AUM with multiple inputs - but all outputs sum to one input n the P3)

Sorry @waedi : edited this before I saw you answered
Edit 2: with push3 and iPad x8 out works (previously mistakenly thought it was only x2)

rafal wrote:

Good to know thanks.

Do you know if any other RME products do what I need please?:

When in class compliant mode:
>> USB IN --
--------------- ADAT OUT x8 >>
>> ADAT IN x8 --

I'm thinking of the 2nd gen babyface or digiface usb..

Digiface USB has no CC-mode.
Babyface is 2-channel-Adat in CC-mode.

Other interfaces like the UCX ll can do this, depending on the computer and the software.
CC-mode is made for iPad and there in the Audio settings of the OS you can select different multichannel configurations.
May be one includes 8-channel Adat.
CC-mode on a regular computer make no sense as there is driver and Totalmix available.

8 (edited by rafal 2023-12-09 22:53:55)

> Digiface USB has no CC-mode.
oh dear, I was just about to order one.. good info thanks,  Fireface 802 also appears to have CC. meh I really wanted the digifaceUSB to work, it's in my budget, bus-powered, multiple ADAT inputs.

>Babyface is 2-channel-Adat in CC-mode.
* I'm getting x8 chan Adat in to babyface and x8 out when usb connected to iPad
* I'm getting x8 chan Adat out of babyface and x0 in when usb is connected to Maschine+ (I assume this is standalone mode)
- all without sync artefacts/jitters (caveat: only tested for about 10min)

9 (edited by waedi 2023-12-08 10:48:47)

From the user manual about standalone-mode :
Of the eight ADAT channels only channels 1/2 can be controlled from the Babyface Pro.

I have to correct my interpretation, it is not reduced to channel 1/2, only the control function is reduced.
You still have all 8 Adat channels to send and receive as you can send 8 channels out of the drum-Maschine.
The Maschine+ can receive multichannel audio for sampling.
There is a audio settings menu to select channels.
But I don't know if Babyface can do this, it is a very special situation, not standalone-mode, more something like a USB-audio-mode. Or a special CC-mode. Native Instrument have to tell you wich Interface work on this.
Of course it will be something from their own catalog. something special.
Edit :
And a quick look into their user manual reveals :
Selects available the internal, or external audio devices when they are connected to the USB A ports.
The following external devices from Native Instruments are supported:
• KOMPLETE AUDIO 1
• KOMPLETE AUDIO 2
• KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 (MK2)
For more information on these products, refer to the Native Instruments website:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/c … nterfaces/

I may be wrong but don’t you have to go to a minimum of a ucx before you can save the routing that you want to run in standalone.
The digiface doesn’t have the memory for it and the Babyface has limited features for standalone.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

I may be wrong but don’t you have to go to a minimum of a ucx before you can save the routing that you want to run in standalone.
The digiface doesn’t have the memory for it and the Babyface has limited features for standalone.

Yep, I think you’re right, that’s why when connected to the Maschine+ and it’s in standalone I can’t have the routing I need. I see that the 802 series also has a memory recall feature.

Why do you need ADAT? If you need to get datastream from Maschine+ to computer, iConnectivity audiointerface might do. One may attach two USB devices (computers) and route data from one computer to another. iConnectivity interfaces may be configured to run fully standalone. It remembers routing set in previous run.

Maschine+ is computer if it is in standalone mode. I do not have Maschine+, but on NI forum there is list made by users with interfaces that work with M+. Not all interfaces do work even if class compliant.

Or the computer is not involved and you are trying to do computerless setup and route ADAT to mixing console or digital effect or so?

If you need ADAT to connect other devices, Digiface USB might be used connected to computer.

Maschine+ has no Adat at all.

14 (edited by Kubrak 2023-12-10 00:13:41)

I know, it has USB that is either master or slave. Or maybe it has two USBs....

What I meant is that OP might plug M+ to USB of iConectivity interface and computer plug also to iConnectivity interface. If he needs ADAT he would have to sort it by another device connected to computer.

^
                                                                          I     ADAT
                                                                          v
M+ USB----->USB iConnectivity USB----->USB computer
            audio                                  audio

15 (edited by rafal 2023-12-14 13:40:10)

I have extensively tested the iCA4 interface with some standalone DAW boxes, adjusting many of the settings.. But unfortunately in my user case wanting to connect an m+ and an iPad, I get intermittent crackles when doing anything that spikes the cpu in the M+. I don't not get this with a babyface gen1 when connected via usb & ADAT running x8 chans. Some other boxes such as the Akai MPC/Force work with the iCA4 and iPad- but even then changes to firmware break it from working without the occasional audio artefacts, i.e. previous Force firmware was ok but current is not, current MPC firmware is ok. (I am a self confessed grooveBox addict)

The RME class compliant class firmware drivers appears to be more stable with USB clocking to ADAT, than iCA4's USB to USB drivers. Some A1 programmers at RME me thinks. The iConnectivity still rocks for connecting say an iPad to a computer (osx for me), or connecting two computers (one being a redundant backup) when doing live performance from a computer.

16 (edited by rafal 2023-12-14 14:45:05)

So Am I right in thinking that >gen1 babyface does have onboard matrix routing memory.....and it's routing can be configured via it's hardware when in standalone, and then it remembers that routing after a power-cycle?

Not that it solves my problem.. i.e. I now need a class compliant usb box with x2 adat inputs, at an entry-level'ish budget,  I do not need memory, as the usb on that box will be connected to an iPad.

OK, people on NI forum reported that iConnectivity works with M+, I am not exactly sure which model was it. And they did not use ADAT. It is a pity DF USB is not CC.

Kubrak wrote:

OK, people on NI forum reported that iConnectivity works with M+, I am not exactly sure which model was it. And they did not use ADAT. It is a pity DF USB is not CC.

It does work, just will get occasional artefacts when combining some pairs of usb devices. M+ and osx works great, M+ iPad not so much. (At current firmware).