1 (edited by johnnysh 2023-12-12 20:36:02)

Topic: ADI-2/4 Pro SE Help Please

Hello

Previously purchased a RME UCX and was planning to use a good quality RIIA preamp with it to archive my Vinyl

Have always been very impressed with the UCX

I now notice RME have introduced the ADI-2/4 Pro SE / ADI2/FS / FSR/BE / AD2/DAC

First of all is this truly the best way to archive Vinyl, does the ADI-2/4 Pro SE compare to audiophile RIAA pre amps

What benefits does one get with the ADI-2/4 Pro SE over the other ADI2 range

the ADI-2/4 Pro SE  is a crazy price, is it really that good ??

does it compare to other Hi end RIAA preamps for archiving

Does it sample above 192khz? I also appreciate its only for MM carts

Would you say this is the ultimate box to compliment a quality turntable for archiving

Do I need ADI-2/4 Pro SE or do the other ADI-2 offer similar results

any info and knowledge always appreciated

Regards

Never Give Up In Striving For Perfection

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-13 01:25:29)

Re: ADI-2/4 Pro SE Help Please

If you are going to listen or archive vinyl, ADI-2/4 Pro SE is certainly a very valid way to go, even under audiophile aspects:

You hardly find a shorter (read cleaner) signal path than ADI-2/4’s direct A/D conversion with ultra-precision digital RIAA EQ.

From an audiophile standpoint:

Traditional analog RIAA EQ always means a significant number of small sized filter capacitors in the signal path.
In the application as audio filters the specific negative artifacts of capacitors are brought out the most, specially non-linear distortions.
Even the best caps suffer from this, causing a certain amount of sound coloration.

In this regard ADI-2/4 Pro SE tops out the best analog RIAA preamps costing five-figure-$.
ADI-2/4 Pro’s direct AD-concept completely circumvents the cap problem.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s phono input isn’t limited to MM-pickups.
Using a quality MC step-up transformer like the famous Ortofon T-30 offers all options.

Regading sample rate, manual page 104:

Note: The RIAA mode is a digital function realized by the ASP (Audio Signal Processor) in the ADC chip. This causes two limitations:

- RIAA mode is only available in PCM mode, DSD is not supported.

- RIAA mode is available up to a sample rate of 192 kHz. 3xx and 7xx kHz are not supported.

Personally everything from 88.2 kHz and up always sounded fully transparent to me, I don’t see this as a true limitation.

When listening to vinyl I switch to 192 kHz.
Recordings are done at 96 kHz.
I’m very satisfied with the sound result.

Re: ADI-2/4 Pro SE Help Please

Same here, the Pro 2/4 is top quality, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for incredible quality vinyl playback and/or archiving. Adjustable input sensitivity and elliptical filter are a couple of other great RIAA features the Pro 2/4 has, not mentioned in Kais's excellent and informative post above.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech