Topic: UCX II Is it broken on arrival? [HELP]

I bought my UCX II a few months ago but haven't had time to use it. But now i REALLY need to use it, I'm having really weird technical difficulties.

PC: mid 2014 Macbook Pro
Headphones: Audio-Technica M50x
DAW: Reaper (temporarily)
Driver: v4.08

I'm connecting my microphones to MIC/LINE 1 and 2, and the corresponding analog 1 and 2 channels (which i've separated into mono channels on totalmix) won't show anything input coming in from the microphones.

When I connect my guitar to the LINE INSTR. 1 and 2, the corresponding analog 3 and 4 channels (also separated into mono channels) show input coming in from the guitar. I've tried hearing it through the headphones without any luck. I recorded the input that comes through in reaper and what came out was a very concerning glitchy version of what i played that cuts out and sounds heavily distorted.

When I connect my guitar to MIC/LINE 1 and 2, I also don't get any input coming in from the guitar.

I've tried different guitars, mics and cables and thinking seems to be working. Should I be contacting RME becasue my unit is broken? or am I just doing something wrong?

2 (edited by waedi 2023-12-13 02:21:04)

Re: UCX II Is it broken on arrival? [HELP]

May you provide a screenshot of Totalmix ?
Have you opened some input gain ?
For condenser mics the 48V was ON ?
The firmware is up to date ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

May you provide a screenshot of Totalmix ?
Have you opened some input gain ?
For condenser mics the 48V was ON ?
The firmware is up to date ?

1. yeah I'll post some screenshots below, i opened the settings for the channels being mentioned too so you can see them.
2. Yes I've tried increasing the gain on all inputs, on 1&2 it does nothing at all and on 3&4 it just makes the distorted and glitchy sound louder and more distorted and glitchy.
3. I only have dinamic mics.
4. I think so, I will add the firmware version onto this thread tomorrow... But I installed the drivers and totalmix just a few months ago - and i was already experiencing these issues... I tjust hought it was because I needed to learn how to use the interface and totalmix.

What else could this be? I'm absolutely gutted.

https://imgur.com/7kH3EaS.png
https://imgur.com/llV4vDw.png
https://imgur.com/75Nx2kh.png

4 (edited by waedi 2023-12-13 06:40:48)

All gains are fully closed. Not good.
AutoSet does reduce the gain when needed but not open.
You have to open the gain to a good value.
Especially the dynamic mics need a good gain at least 12 o clock when not 3.
I would set it to maximum and activate AutoSet

5 (edited by vonhart 2023-12-13 07:41:32)

waedi wrote:

All gains are fully closed. Not good.
AutoSet does reduce the gain when needed but not open.
You have to open the gain to a good value.
Especially the dynamic mics need a good gain at least 12 o clock when not 3.
I would set it to maximum and activate AutoSet

I'm sorry, perhaps my screenshot confused you, but you're misunderstanding. In the screenshots I have the gain down, but like i said before, I have already tested turning the gain knob up (to the max) and it didn't change anything at all.

It's not a matter of the volume of the input being very low, it's that it is inexistent whatsoever, regardless of how much I turn the gain knob or any the risers up.

There's also simultaneously the issue with the guitar line instr. channels and the messed up audio they produce.

i tried some more and still nothing. rebooted, etc. i might try another computer if i can.

if anyone has any ideas they would be more than welcome.

The front display of the unit shows also no input signal ? Then the unit should sent in for repair.

waedi wrote:

The front display of the unit shows also no input signal ? Then the unit should sent in for repair.

yes, correct. ok I'll try there then.. i was just wondering if maybe I was missing something.

Thank you.

9 (edited by waedi 2023-12-14 03:09:57)

Sure the mic is working ? Testet on another equipment ?

Hopefully you use the XLR inputs for the mics, not the TRS?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

waedi wrote:

Sure the mic is working ? Testet on another equipment ?

I already said i tested it with two different microphones, they both work fine on a new interface i had to get from a different brand for a project. I'm pretty sure It's the interface.